1 (edited by docdoghouse 2019-01-21 09:53:33)

Topic: System Integrity Protection (USB Interface not recognized) disabling

I am gone through this problems and if you have a mac pro with a upgraded (unflashed) graphic card you have a serious problem.
Luckily i had kept my original Radeon for such cases.

RME should adopt this problem, the download link for "help with high sierra" file, is not much help.
Maybe it is Apple to blame, i mean its not a dedicated RME problem but in this case its not just "set and forget" and btw thats why we love RME gear, right?

I suppose many has gone through this process but learned the hard way like me.

I mean starting your mac while holding "cmd" & "R" (described as booting in recovery mode) then in the OSX utilitys opening the terminal and type "csrutil disable".
then "reboot".

What makes me nervous, if i disabled SIP, shall i re-enable it afterwards again? does this have any other effects than allowing me installing apps not from the app store?
Why o why is this problem coming up to me at FIRST with RME drivers? I mean i know the procedure allowing installation software from third party developer. Easy: opening up the security window and klick on allow. I had this done dozens of times, so why not with the RMS USB driver?

Maybe i am a little confused (cause i own many apple comps and five different rme interfaces) but i think it totally depends on hardware combinations. On all my comps i have high sierra 10.13.6 installed but they behaved different regarding the SIP.
the mac pros 5.1 (2012) made the most problems. They forced me to boot into recovery mode, not so my mac mini and MB pro.

Please: RME would you write an article about this topic and put it prominently near the download link?
It would had saved me alot of time, researching and frustration.

Re: System Integrity Protection (USB Interface not recognized) disabling

This is an Apple problem. Usually, you don't need to disable SIP, but in rare cases you do. And the problem isn't only with RME's drivers. Could happen to any software.

I have a feeling it only occurs with upgraded machines, not with clean installs. But it even seems to occur when using Migration assistant.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Re: System Integrity Protection (USB Interface not recognized) disabling

no, one of my mac pros (bought 2 weeks ago as a backup) had a totally fresh setup.
its miraculous, my mac mini 2012 instantly did pop up the security message regarding the exeptional
permission for driver installation, not so the mac pros. Yes, blame apple but
i suppose many are using their RME interfaces with apple computers, so i dont think i am asking to much if i wish more support and  help from RME.
i am convinced RME customer (i own six different interfaces from them)
but i get the feeling they try to rescue their reputation if they neglect the problem i described.
Who in the world would buy their stuff when they read that under circumstances you have to change your gpu and type in commands in the "terminal" booted in recovery mode just to install a baby face pro?