Topic: Please explain to me EXACTLY how to plug in the ADI2 Dac power supply

Hi, I'm using the ADI2 Dac. Now, I am one to make sure I get the proper directions before doing something incorrectly on an 1,100 dollar piece of equipment. I just want to make sure I have plugged in the power barrel correctly.

Here is what I did:

1. Lined up the barrel to the two indentations that match the two extended pieces on the barrel

2. Gently push and twist until the barrel is inserted

3. Twist to the right (or left?) until you cannot twist further to lock it? I read on a review article that you have to "twist the power supply 90 degrees to lock it" after inserting. Is that true?

I have just twisted it until I feel resistance. Is that enough, or am I supposed to twist it harder until I hear some kind of "click."

I'd rather ask than risk any problem. Thanks.

Re: Please explain to me EXACTLY how to plug in the ADI2 Dac power supply

No click. And it only turns clockwise (seen from rear panel)....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Robertm394 2019-01-23 01:01:06)

Ok. So just to make clear, you line up the barrel with the holes, twist/push a bit to plug it in, then twist again clockwise until it stops to fully lock it?

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Robertm394 2019-01-23 01:33:37)

Thanks. It may seem straightforward to some but for those of us who haven't used this type of mechanism before (which apparently includes a number of other users and at least one online reviewer), the mechanism isn't completely obvious. I didn't even have it twist-locked correctly until today. I really suggest you put the exact steps in an updated version of the manual.

From my experience, that was the first time I've met this type of system, and no need for more than the manual's explaination to figure how it works:

Socket for power connection. This socket supports locking type jacks as found on the included
RME DC power supply. After inserting the connector carefully turn it by 90° so that it locks.

(I must confess I have plugged it correctly before reading the manual...)

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Noobs while I'm impressed with your technical prowess, the quick start portion of the manual does not detail the right way to plug in the power supply. I'm just suggesting it's a good idea to make it clear in a place where most people are going to read.

8 (edited by ramses 2019-01-25 07:33:56)

In Robert's honor. I just tried it again myself, because I was openly astonished how one could have difficulties with it.

But I also encountered some slight difficulties. No big deal, but I can understand Robert better now, he just wants to be careful with the device.

Indeed, you have to exert more pressure than you think to get the plug fully plugged in. In the first attempt I was also surprised that I turned into emptiness and nothing locked.
When I then exerted a lot more pressure, the plug actually gets in a bit further and only then can the plug be locked cleanly with a 90° right turn. By clean I mean you can't turn the plug any further to the right.

With the ADI-2 DAC it is surprisingly solved differently. Here you have to press hard to get the plug in properly as well, but there is no defined locking as with the ADI-2 Pro / Pro FS BE. You can turn the plug in any direction you like, it's "a matter of feeling" to turn it in the range ~90-270° to lock the plug. It is also difficult to get it out again, because without this defined locking there is no clue when the noses will be on top of each other again, to get it out.

Nothing insoluble, but at this point I must agree with Robert that the whole thing should perhaps be described a little bit more in detail, especially as there are differencies between the devices (assumed that I have no defective locking mechanism on my ADI-2 DAC).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13