Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS - Q values and naming inputs - possible firmware updates?

Hi, I wonder if you could help.

I am really interested in buying an ADI-2 Pro FS to use as an AD/DAC that will room correct the signal from a Mac and a turntable.

However, having emailed the helpful RME support team, I understand the ADI-2 Pro's various inputs cannot be renamed, and that the maximum equaliser Q value is 5.   

I am trying to make this system as friendly to my girlfriend as possible, and I often use Q values of up to 30 to treat specific room modes. 

Could the ability to rename inputs and use high Q values be added in a firmware update? 

Many thanks,

J

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS - Q values and naming inputs - possible firmware updates?

Why renaming ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Why renaming ?

For example renaming the USB input as "iMac" or unbalanced analogue input as "Turntable" when switching between inputs would make the unit friendlier to music lovers in my household who aren't interested in being technical.

4 (edited by ramses 2018-12-18 16:45:31)

Jas0_0 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Why renaming ?

For example renaming the USB input as "iMac" or unbalanced analogue input as "Turntable" when switching between inputs would make the unit friendlier to music lovers in my household who aren't interested in being technical.

I think it would be more straightforward to label your cables on both ends.
Every port is clearly labeled on this unit.

Proposal:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000PY … &psc=1
https://www.amazon.de/edding-4-8407-4-K … F8&me=

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Jas0_0 2018-12-18 17:28:55)

Hi Ramses, thanks for your comments. 

Apologies I think my question may not have been clear - probably because I have not been able to use an ADI-2 Pro yet. 

I assumed (wrongly?) that when switching between inputs, say from iMac to turntable for music playback, that the name of the currently selected input (e.g. "USB" or "SPDIF" or "unbalanced analogue") would be displayed on the ADI-2 Pro's screen.  Is this correct?  If so, I wondered if it might be possible to change the displayed name to reflect what's plugged into that input, rather than the type of input in use - to make it easier for the less technical in my household to select the right music source, rather than having to remember that, for example, "unbalanced analogue" means "Turntable".

6 (edited by ramses 2018-12-18 17:58:53)

The logic is different.

Basically the ADI-2 Pro chooses its operation mode automatically dependend on what you connect to the device.
The unit has different useful screens.
The main screen's purpuse is that you can choose the wanted volume and Bass/Treble.

The unit has special modes / routings, see handbook.
For some use cases it might be required to configure the unit for that purpose.
You can save up to 9 different configurations.

It's also possible to assign the 4 front knobs (VOL, I/O, EQ, SETUP) different functions.
Also to recall one of the 9 stored settings.

So if you have maybe 2 very different use cases you can map to two of the 4 mentioned keys
the function to i.e. restore setup 1 and 2.
By this you can make it very easy to your fam members to use the device.
If you hold the key longer than around half of a second, then the original function is being chosen.

But for most cases the unit does everything automaticall, i.e.:
- if you plug the phones to Phones 3/4 on the front, then the other analog output 1/2 is being muted and there is a slow rampup of volume so that you can remove phones from your head should it become too loud
- of you connect the unit per USB to a Laptop, then the unit automatically chooses USB operation mode.

All this is nicely explained in the handbook.

So basicallly its relatively irrelevant to see which signals come from where and are being routed to where.
This really nobody would understand.

For very nice troubleshooting of connections and where you have signals coming in and going out
the unit provides other main displays, which are very useful: see handbook chapter 15:
- Global Level Meter
- State Overview

The ADI-2 Pro FS or FS BE, if you like the black version more, is worth every cent.
I can strongly recommend it. Quality and feature wise the best product that you can get and for this price.
See Berndhards comment, that for him and hist customers the ADI-2 Pro FS even outperforms DACs in the price range of over $8500, see: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 93#p136193

Thanks for the detailed reply Ramses - much appreciated.

Sounds like with that level of customisation I'll be able to set up something simple for everyone to use.

Any ideas about adding higher Q values?

9 (edited by ramses 2018-12-18 22:27:17)

Jas0_0 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed reply Ramses - much appreciated.

Sounds like with that level of customisation I'll be able to set up something simple for everyone to use.

Exactly. And in most cases it comes down to this szenario.
Connect ADI-2 Pro to a device via USB.
Connect Phones to ADI-2 Pro "Phones 3/4"

Sorry .. who shall have problems with this ????

The only thing which needs maybe some time and tweaking, which Music Player to choose.
I recommend you stick to lossless audio formats ..

For Windows I can strongly recommend EAC (exact audio copy) to rip the CDs that you own to FLAC file format.
Then take a Music Player like Musicbee or Foobar and playback your lossless FLAC files.
These players support ASIO drivers.

For MAC or other devices this will work different. Eventually by using class compliant mode of the device.

Just bumping this in hope that someone can help me with the Q question.
Thanks,
J

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 63#p136763

This is all we can do as higher values do not fit into the gui. And honestly we don't think they would make any sense or difference.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 63#p136763

This all we can do as higher values do not fit into the gui. And honestly we don't think they would make any sense or difference.

Thanks Matthias - 9.9 max Q will work much better in my situation

13 (edited by Jas0_0 2019-01-27 19:27:11)

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help.  My ADI-2 Pro FS has arrived.  It sounds great and the EQ is proving pretty good at cancelling room modes - though I think I must be doing something wrong with switching between inputs.

I have plugged in both a USB cable for music from my Mac, and XLR inputs from my turntable's phono preamp, but I am struggling to find a simple way of switching between the USB and turntable.

I can do this by going into the Setup menu and changing the input of basic mode, but it would be nice if there were an easier way with fewer steps.  I have tried saving Setup 1 as USB>Analogue output and Setup 2 as Analogue input>Analogue output and mapping these setups to the VOL and I/O buttons on the front.  This seems to switch the setups OK.  If I switch from Setup 2 to Setup 1 it works fine, but if I switch back to Setup 2' again, I get no sound. 

I saved a Setup 3 with the exact same settings as Setup 2, and if I switch from Setup 1 to Setup 3 I also get no sound, but if I then switch from Setup 3 to Setup 2, the sound from my turntable plays. 

What am I doing wrong?

Basic Mode AD/DA allows to change the source of the outputs 1/2.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Handbook page 36, block diagram "AD/DA converter" gives a good overview.
You see there the 2 Source Selectors for Main Output 1/2 and Phones 3/4.

Thanks Matthias and Ramses - I am using Basic Mode AD/DA in my Setup 2 above.

My setups as currently saved are:

Setup 1 - Basic Mode USB routes to main output (named ‘iMac’ and mapped to Vol button)

Setup 2 - Basic Mode AD/DA with analogue input selected, routed to main output (named ‘Turntable’ and mapped to I/O button)

Setup 3 - As setup 2 but not named or mapped

I set music playing on both my iMac and turntable, I start with Setup 2 selected and music plays fine from my turntable.  If I switch to Setup 1, music plays fine from my iMac, but I then switch back to Setup 2, no sound plays.  If I load Setup 3 and then switch to Setup 2, sound plays. 

Why does no sound play when switching from Setup 1 to Setup 2?

Many thanks,

James

Clock settings changed. You should try to use the Source selection first to get it running.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

18 (edited by Jas0_0 2019-01-28 22:08:42)

MC wrote:

Clock settings changed. You should try to use the Source selection first to get it running.

Hi Matthias,

Sorry I don't know what you mean by 'Clock settings changed' - could you explain?   Also I'm not quite sure I know what you mean about the Source selection.

For the avoidance of doubt, these are the settings I am using for each external source - is there something else I should be doing to be able to switch between these two setups when they're mapped to the keys on the front?

iMAC (Setup 1 - mapped to VOL)

I pressed the SETUP button, and under 'Device Mode' > 'Basic Mode' I selected 'USB'. 

With these settings the sound from my iMac plays through my speakers. 

TURNTABLE (Setup 2 - mapped to I/O)

I pressed the SETUP button, and under 'Device Mode' > 'Basic Mode' I selected 'AD/DA'. 

I also pressed the I/O button, under 'Main Output 1/2' > 'Settings' > 'AD/DA Source' I selected 'Analogue'.

With these settings the sound from my turntable plays through my speakers.

19 (edited by Jas0_0 2019-01-31 08:31:27)

Hi, just bumping this as I still haven’t found a quick and simple way of switching between USB and analogue input without going deep into the ADI-2 Pro’s menu structure - which isn’t great for home hi fi use.

Apologies if I’m missing something really obvious, but can someone help?

Thanks,

James

I can check this again when I am back from holidays. Not sure why you have that mute effect when switching from setup 1 to 2. Is the unit on the latest firmware 185/90?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

21 (edited by Jas0_0 2019-01-31 19:28:08)

MC wrote:

I can check this again when I am back from holidays. Not sure why you have that mute effect when switching from setup 1 to 2. Is the unit on the latest firmware 185/90?

Great, thanks Matthias - yes latest firmware.

The reason it doesn't work is easy to see: after loading the setup with AD/DA mode the source for Main 1/2 has changed from Analog to Auto. It seems this is a small quirk in loading the stored setup state. If one loads the same setup again input will change to Source Analog.

So until we have a firmware fixing this you simply press the remapped key four times...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The reason it doesn't work is easy to see: after loading the setup with AD/DA mode the source for Main 1/2 has changed from Analog to Auto. It seems this is a small quirk in loading the stored setup state. If one loads the same setup again input will change to Source Analog.

So until we have a firmware fixing this you simply press the remapped key four times...

Ok thanks - looking forward to the firmware update.  It’s quite a frustrating bug, especially as I was in part sold on this functionality - see above from Ramses.  Do you have an ETA?

Sorry, no ETA.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Hi Mattias - slightly disappointed to find this doesn't appear to have been fixed in the recent firmware update.  Still having to press the mapped key multiple times to select my turntable.  Is there now a workaround?

Thanks,

James

That must have been lost somehow, sorry. We'll check and try to put this in a quick update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks
J

Works now - update coming.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great, thanks
J

Fixed in version 94.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just updated and now works perfectly - many thanks.
James