Topic: using preamp mode - windows volume regulation doesn't work

Hallo,
bought me a adi-2 pro for use it in my hifi-comp as preamp and headphone amp. I installed the new drivers for windows. Now I can see the adi in Windows and in Task bar. I can also open the voume drive there and it shows me that adi-2 uses the analogue outs. But if I want to regulate the volume nothing happens. Can someone tell me what I have to change in the settings to be able to use this small but nice feature?

2 (edited by N00b 2019-01-28 14:17:24)

Re: using preamp mode - windows volume regulation doesn't work

j.haerlen wrote:

Hallo,
bought me a adi-2 pro for use it in my hifi-comp as preamp and headphone amp. I installed the new drivers for windows. Now I can see the adi in Windows and in Task bar. I can also open the voume drive there and it shows me that adi-2 uses the analogue outs. But if I want to regulate the volume nothing happens. Can someone tell me what I have to change in the settings to be able to use this small but nice feature?

Hi! If you use USB to connect your PC to the ADI-2 DAC/Pro, it's impossible "that adi-2 uses the analogue outs", because USB is a digital connexion.
And I don't know how it works on Windows, but on a Mac, you can't use the volume control of the computer: the OS is sending directly (without midifying it) the digital signal into the DAC throught USB, and then this one does its work: transforming the 0&1 into an analogue signal.
The volume must be set on the ADI-2, not in the computer.

And IMHO, this is for the better: if you can set the volume on the computer, it means that the OS can edit the digital signal...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

j.haerlen wrote:

I can also open the voume drive there and it shows me that adi-2 uses the analogue outs.

No. It says that the ADI-2 Pro adds two analog outputs to Windows, which is what it does.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the answers. What you told me  - as far as I understood ;-) is, that I can see my analog outputs in Windows but it's impossible to influence it although there is a volume display.

If you play something via WDM/system the Windows volume control should work, as it operates independent from the audio interface/output. It won't work with WASAPI or ASIO.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK. This information will help me. Thanks.