1 (edited by fmsabba 2019-02-15 20:25:10)

Topic: RME Adi2 "highend" version

Just thinking/joking: with so many audiofools around complaining that the Adi2 cannot possibly be that good, due to its ridiculously low price, why not considering the idea of putting out a 20-Kg-solid-billet-something version of the Adi2, nicely equipped with a vast array of optional bells and whistles (femtoclock, linear power supply, exotic accessories...)? Same characteristics, same sound but twenty time its price? I bet audiofools will rush to buy it.

Re: RME Adi2 "highend" version

That for sure, but I think RME is a serious company and would never do anything like that.

3 (edited by ramses 2019-02-15 20:37:08)

fmsabba wrote:

Just thinking/joking: with so many audiofools around complaining that the Adi2 cannot possibly be that good, due to its ridiculously low price, why not considering the idea of putting out a 20-Kg-solid-billet-something version of the Adi2, nicely equipped with a vast array of optional bells and whistles (femtoclock, linear power supply, exotic accessories...)? Same characteristics, same sound but twenty time its price? I bet audiofools will rush to buy it.

Serious questions / discussions preferred here.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I think it would negatively affect RME's credibility as to not be worth it.

Just thinking/joking: optional bells and whistles (linear power supply, bigger footstands, etc.) probably won't help. But what about an alternative digital interface as e.g. firewire ?
Though I am fully satisfied with the ADI 2 dac (perfect DAC !) but personally prefer using it feeding via SPDIF.
I have to admit that I don't have an Intona.
Instead, I grabbed a firewire Interface with Dice II and digital out - and here we go.
Switched fore and back - and ended with firewire.
Knowing that there shouldn't be a difference resulting from the digital domain.
Nevertheless, call it esoteric or oscillating - I personally prefer the unthinkable...
The difference is very subtile. Mainly in the root.
Maybe also a bit less what the esoteric people call fatigue.
Check it out.

The ADI includes a bit test. Do that. If it passes then all differences you heard were imagination.

Apart fromt that: nobody with a sane mind would issue a FireWire based unit in 2019.

And just to make sure you understood your setup correctly: the Intona provides galvanic isolation between computer and DAC. FireWire or the Dice II interface do not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

dubbio wrote:

I have to admit that I don't have an Intona.

Check it out.

I doubt the intona would make any meaningful difference.
I am using the Adi2pro with a Mutec mc3+ smart clock: zero difference, With or without the Mutec there are no audible effects. I am using it just because I was already using it with my previous DAC (a beautiful and much more costly Jadis....with a very poor usb in).
Soundwise, I don't know if and what can be significantly improved in the Adi2.
However, jokes aside, a more attractive look would not be a deadly sin, in my opinion.
But it's a very minor issue. The overall quality of this little box is superb.

8 (edited by ramses 2019-02-17 08:00:20)

dubbio wrote:

Sorry, but this sounds more like a psychoacoustic effect. If you perform audio tests you need to be aware of how your brain and ears work.

If you post here, be also aware of, that the majority of readers are semi-professionals / professionals in the studio who know all that.

For example:

• a proper A/B test you need to be able to switch between 2 sounds immediately. The brain is not able to remember sound over roughly 1-2 seconds

• for a really valid test you need to perform a blind test as your brain has certain expectations, its better that you do not know which of two devices or in this case "technologies" are playing, some peope even perform double blind tests so that also the person who assists the "blind tester" does not know what A and B really is, not to be able to influence the blind tester in any way

• ears are different over day, between days, avaoid ear fatigue or do not test if you are stressed

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

9 (edited by fmsabba 2019-02-17 08:14:02)

Robertm394 wrote:

I think it would negatively affect RME's credibility as to not be worth it.

No worth it: that's for sure, at least in terms of sound quality improvement

Affect credibility: well, that depends on how exactly things are done. My hope is that there is a sort of middle ground where you can preserve credibility. In the current Adi2 models there are already some options meant, first and foremost, to please audiophiles (nos filter, dsd....bells and whistles that are absolutely superfluous but very much admired by many audiophiles who still believe that dsd is "more analog sounding" and nos filters are, yes, again "more analog sounding" . Totally unsubstantiated stuff, essentially the result of many years of snake oil marketing which has always been rampant in our hobby. And this tradition unfortunately is still going strong with the latest mqa ridicolous thing. Of course everything above is imho.

10 (edited by ramses 2019-02-17 08:13:35)

fmsabba wrote:

I am using the Adi2pro with a Mutec mc3+ smart clock: zero difference, With or without the Mutec there are no audible effects.

To be expected wink MC wrote here on forum, that the ADI-2 Pro/* refresh the clock signal and finally uses the internal FS clock for D/A conversion.

This means you can even connect the ADI-2 Pro/* to not so good (recording-) interfaces and still get optimum sound quality of the ADI-2 Pro.

Steadyclock is BTW key technology of RME since "decades" and designed to work with even bad clock sources with high jitter without loosing the connection over digital links. In the case of the ADI-2 Pro/* it's Steadyclock III which has an even higher jitter suppression.

https://www.rme-audio.de/old/english/te … yclock.htm
https://www.soundonsound.com/people/rme-designs

Just to clarify: my Adi2pro is not the latest FS version.
However, judging by many technical reviews and my ears, its overall quality is still superb. The Mutec in fact, improves nothing. And I am not surprised.

fmsabba wrote:

I bet audiofools will rush to buy it.

While I agree that the ADI DAC is one of the better dacs available for studio and measuring purposes, that certainly doesn't mean it is also the most 'musical' one. (and it isn't, in my personal opinion)

There is a difference between studio equipment and end-user equipment.
That's why there are lots of great studio monitors and headphones, and there are lots of great end-user speakers and headphones.
And some will work well in both situations. But that's certainly not always the case.

13 (edited by ramses 2019-02-17 17:45:18)

jistme wrote:
fmsabba wrote:

While I agree that the ADI DAC is one of the better dacs available for studio and measuring purposes,
that certainly doesn't mean it is also the most 'musical' one. (and it isn't, in my personal opinion)

EDITED:

Sorry, but this is a very questionable posting without any information content.

The intention is also not quite clear. The first posting of an "alleged" user, who doesn't even explain in which setup he tested the ADI-2 Pro and which other device he thinks would be more "musical" in his opinion.

My personal opinion: the term "musical" is not clearly defined, everyone understands and hears something different.
A DAC simply has to work precisely and this is the case with the ADI-2 Pro.

I see here more potential issues in the combination of amplifier/boxes and in the area of room acoustics,
maybe also personal listening habits.

It's IMHO even an advantage that the ADI-2 Pro * works as precise as he is without "washing" the sound
to bring something into it which was not there upfront.

It's better to "shape the sound" to personal taste by
a) EQing
b) room acoustic
c) amp and speakers that sound good and do not need a "mocho generating component" in between in the area of D/A conversion.

(+) I personally compared the ADI-2 Pro, ADI-2 Pro FS and ADI-2 DAC with the DAC-40 module of the Accuphase E600 Class A amplifier and B&W 803D3 speakers. The differences were subtile. I had the impression, that the ADI-2 Pro is a little bit more precise in room recreation and instrument positioning.

Also the ADI-2 * sounded for my ears more like the Accuphase DAC-40 module, when being in NOS mode. It cleared a bit up when using the other non-NOS modes. All in all the ADI-2 Pro / * sounded a little bit better compared to the Accuphase DAC-40 module for my ears.

Based on this comparison I can see nothing wrong in the RME product.
Also the presentation of sound and room in my studio corner when listening over Geithain RL906 near field speakers.
Or when using Audeze LCD-3 phones (alcantara version has better sound).
The result is everywhere the same, exzellent sound.

(+) Methodology: when performing the tests I ensured that the setup allows for quick A/B comparisons in under 1 sec.
I achieved this by using my PC as music player and using 2 different TOSLINK connections originating from my RME UFX+ and Octamic XTC. With the remote control of the Accu E600 I was able to quickly select either the internal DAC-40 or the ADI-2 Pro with the same music material in under 1 sec. I performed the tests multiple times at different occasions to prevent ear fatigue. Blind test would have been nice, but I had nobody near to do the switching for me and to make notes.

It would be nice to bring more information into your postings before making such statements.
Nothing against personal opinions, but not the way you did.

BTW, my musical background, I play and record music and am also a big fan of Live Music and know how instruments shall sound (part of very early musical education at school in the 70's). I also know where the limitations are at home.
But with my setup artists like Lee Ritenour on Bluray start to sound live and vivit in my living room through
the ADI-2 DAC and the rest of my setup.

14 (edited by Curt962 2019-02-17 17:46:02)

Personal Preferences/Bias have, and alway will be the deciding factor in one's choice of gear in the End User/Home environment.

The Professional World mandates differently. 

With nearly 40yrs of end-user, Audiophilia under my belt, I firmly believe that we were fed SO MUCH BS by the Audio Press, and have allowed our perceptions of Musical Reality to become grossly distorted. 

Once, sitting in a Nice Jazz Club with the Musicians 10ft away...No amplification whatsoever, it occurred to me that NO Audiophile would accept THAT sound.  Real, and Live as it was. 

No 2Hz Bass.  No "Chocolatey Vocals", etc.

To this end, I would encourage End Users to get out, and hear LIVE Music.   Use THAT as your reference.

I find that my ADI-2 gets me closer to hearing the TRUTH in a Recording, rather than my own Magazine Inspired, Manufactured Musical Reality.  The Test Data supports the claims that the ADI-2 outputs ONLY what it is fed.  No Sugary additives.

I'm really enjoying my new ADI-2.  Perhaps the most exciting Audio Component I've ever owned.  Brilliant!!

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Yes Jazz clubs are nice .. to few of them available, sad.

Ramses,

Surely your earlier comment regarding "Room Acoustic" must be explored!!   

Perhaps a new Thread?

The Room is the most influential part of the Audio Reproduction Chain, yet so few Home Listeners pursue improvement.   Much more fun I suppose to invest in Cables, and Squishy Feet for their Gear. 

The Room is the Final Frontier!  Not my Opinion, but that of Decades of Acoustics Research.

17 (edited by jistme 2019-02-17 21:18:54)

ramses wrote:
jistme wrote:
fmsabba wrote:

While I agree that the ADI DAC is one of the better dacs available for studio and measuring purposes,
that certainly doesn't mean it is also the most 'musical' one. (and it isn't, in my personal opinion)

Sorry, but this is a very questionable posting without any information content.
The intention is also not quite clear. The first posting of an "alleged" user, who doesn't even explain in which setup he tested the ADI-2 Pro and which other device he thinks would be more "musical" in his opinion.

Nice welcome and reply ramses.
So you decide that my intentions are questionable, and that I am an 'alleged' user.
(I am not surprised by the aggressive attitude b.t.w., I have been noticing an inclination to that from other experienced forum members and moderators towards newer or less savvy forum members earlier.)

I'm not going to provide you any 'proof', but I have quite some experience with audio and audio equipment, both home and studio.
And yes, I have also used and auditioned the RME ADI-2 DAC for almost a month.
I was able to compare it both in a home, and a studio environment against ('with' is a nicer and more appropriate word) a couple of other dacs.
Both using professional monitors and monitoring headphones, and with some 'high-end' home audio equipment.

If you believe or question me or not, I don't care much.

The only purpose for my previous post was to ventilate that I think it is silly to pretend that any piece of equipment is perfect for every situation, works perfect together with all other equipment, is impossible to surpass quality-wise, or will suit all ears.

And since you immediately made it personal, I also find it quite arrogant and ignorant to support such a notion and suggest that you have created a product that in audio quality is unsurpassable by any other manufacturer.

So then we can probably also agree on that there will never be any advertising by RME for a successor that will mention anything about an improved sound quality compared to the ADI-2?

The reason I didn't mention specific audio equipment used, music listened to, and the names and telephone numbers of friends (among quite a few 'audio professionals' that mostly agreed with me doing several several comparisons b.t.w.), is that I didn't find it appropriate to trigger any better than/worse than discussions on an RME forum where I am a guest.
(I wouldn't question the taste or the quality of the furnishing or the food at a house where I stayed as a guest either.)

Secondly it is completely silly and childish to start some boxing match pretending that anybody can decide 'what sounds better'.

If you or anybody else believes that your product is the perfect solution for everybody and every situation, and that it is impossible to improve or surpass it's audio quality, fine. Keep comfort and pleasure in that notion.

It was your own mistake to post something like that as an unknown user here in the forum.
Without further information or explanations, so that one could have derived from it possibly a good intention.

Now come some explanations, but essentially also very vague and in the end nothing but accusations towards me.
Maybe you should just think about how you could have avoided this situation.

BTW, I was very factual, but I brought exactly that to the point, which alienated me very much from your posting.

Jistme,

If you didn't receive a Proper Welcome, allow me to be the First to do so. Herzliche Willkommen!!

Please understand that this Forum is operated by a Professional Audio Company who's Fortune depends on delivering a Thoroughly Engineered Product to it's Consumers.   Subsequently, "Faith Based" , Subjective Observations by Yourself and I will be reviewed under a MicroScope.   

RME supports it's Claims with verifiable Test Data.  Can I support my Perceptions with the Same? Ehhhh...probably not.

Hang in there Friend.   Maybe a Rocky Intro for You, but the Intent is to keep us all Fact Based.    Stick around!   Much to be learned here.

All the Best for You!

Curt

Danke schön Curt,

I'm sorry if I caused some unpleasant waves in this forum.
It will probably stop here, since I have passed the ADI-2 on to a friend of mine.
With some regrets for sure, I really love it's features and it's price/quality.
But I was looking for a new DAC for my home environment, and I decided on another one that I preferred, strictly on my subjective, and room/other equipment influenced experiences and verdict on something vague as 'musicality'.

I (and anybody else should) understand that it's a strictly personal opinion, and it really makes no sense to discuss it or battle about it.
(if anybody is interested and satisfied with a single word that describes the reason for me choosing 'the other DAC': I found it more 'coherent' in sound.)
But I will still recommend (and I actually do) the RME to others.
That's all.

One off-topic but honest suggestion to RME remains:
I was on the verge of returning the ADI-2 after two days already because the power often suddenly shut off when I touched some knobs or slightly moved the device.
Just in time before packing it in I found out that the power connector was some bajonet construction, and that I hadn't plugged it in correctly.
Yes, something is said in the manual about that, so it's probably is on me, but perhaps a sticker on the power plug receptor on the chassis that says "read the f**** manual first" would be an idea?

Cheers and enjoy!

Jistme,

Just what exactly is your Listening Preference?  Speakers or Headphones?

With Speakers, Basic Adherence to Placement, etc is important.  Far above that is the Room's Acoustic!   Audiophiles pay no attention to this, and ManOMan it's a Killer.   Jumbled, Incoherent Sound is to be expected in a Room filled with Crazy Reflections, Standing Waves, SBIR, et al.

No DAC can fix that. 

Look into your Room!  Expect to be Mortified by your findings.

ramses wrote:
dubbio wrote:

Sorry, but this sounds more like a psychoacoustic effect. If you perform audio tests you need to be aware of how your brain and ears work.

If you post here, be also aware of, that the majority of readers are semi-professionals / professionals in the studio who know all that.

For example:

• a proper A/B test you need to be able to switch between 2 sounds immediately. The brain is not able to remember sound over roughly 1-2 seconds

• for a really valid test you need to perform a blind test as your brain has certain expectations, its better that you do not know which of two devices or in this case "technologies" are playing, some peope even perform double blind tests so that also the person who assists the "blind tester" does not know what A and B really is, not to be able to influence the blind tester in any way

• ears are different over day, between days, avaoid ear fatigue or do not test if you are stressed

@ ramses
- That's why I jumped onto this 'just thinking/kidding' thread.
- A/B test done exactly in that way (two identical laptops / foobar-asio max volume / same tracks started simultaneously and then switch ADI2 input between USB and COAX - no blind test as for now.

Is it worth to mention that e.g. WEISS is claiming for the INT202 bit transparency as well ?
But no - I don't have such a high end device and no, I didn't do the test (clearly not a pro).
Don't get me wrong - I am more than happy with the ADI2, just even a tiny bit more with the 'special' setup.

Dear all,

I have to comment on this thread as it seems to take an unneccessary direction. It seems to me that ramses, who is definitely our number one helpful resource in here, and also got lots of credits over time for explaing how to use RME equipment best on his own blog, misunderstood jistme's first post a bit.

And jistme seemed to have misunderstood ramses function as user helping other users - he is neither the developer nor manufacturer of the ADI-2 DAC, nor an employee of RME.

So please all cool down a bit and let me do the upsetting work wink

@jistme: yes, there will never be a successor that will have improved sound quality compared to the ADI-2 DAC. We avoid that kind of BS advertizing since more than 20 years. Our products excel by quality and features, we don't need to lie to get sales. That said audible 'sound improvements' belong into the 'more musical' section of home HiFi (as you wrote), which is not our typical market.

Your proposal of adding a sticker, thought to the end, would mean the unit is plastered with stickers. There are many pitholes where you can go wrong. Like people unintentionally changing Bass/Treble and thinking the sound is too bright or dull. Or missing the High Power setting of the Phones out and thinking it can't drive high impedance phones. I for one like the embarrasement the moment the connector locks. It makes users more careful the next time they don't understand something, or if something doesn't seem to work as it should.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I consider the sound quality of the adi2 to be state of the art.
Listened to many many dacs, in some cases for quite some time and in my system (including the  excellent benchmark, Jadis, dcs....different beasts).
The point is NOT that the adi2 is necessarily the best. The point, to me, is that it can easily compete with the best. It plays in the same league. Of course personal taste is important. Personal bias is also important. Ideally, one should compare things in a blind test, which is not always practical. Just seeing things has inevitably a certain influence on the final judgment. But of course everyone is perfectly entitled to his opinion. Musicality, being a non measurable entity, is essentially a matter of personal taste.