Topic: Sonnetech echo express card pro with RME express card how ?

I have Mac Pro tube with high Sierra and I am trying to make the Sonnet echo express card pro to see RME express card connected to a multiface but nothing at all. The same combination a an older unibody 17” Mac Pro works fine (without the sonnet interface) I use the latest drivers. Am I missing something here? Or do I have to return the sonnet box

Re: Sonnetech echo express card pro with RME express card how ?

You checked the Privacy&Security stuff as explained in numerous threads here as well as in the PDF that can be downloaded beside the driver?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Of course and I allowed the RME that is asked me to allow (on privacy section) even doing that card seems not recognised and the red error LED is constantly ON. Just in case I have double check my RME hardare and it works with express card slot natively on my Older Mac book pro 17"

Then the best thing you can do is contact Sonnet, they might have an idea what's going on here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by dvarnav 2019-02-14 13:24:56)

I had a similar problem with pre8 (Focusrite) than after a few installation deinstallation the problem solved. in the case of RME if you install the drivers is there anyway to completely deinstall the drivers to reinstall them?
BTW i have allready talk to sonnet  (initially they told me to ask from RME support)hopping for solution

And here is the answer from sonnet “thisExpressCard are using the Card Bus architecture which leverages the USB 2.0 bus.
Unfortunately Card Bus architecture this is no longer officially supported in newer versions of MacOS (10.8 and above), nor in Windows 8 or above via Thunderbolt.
We have tried to petition Apple, Intel, and Microsoft to change these limitations, but they have not modified these in several years.
The tests we ran for compatibility in High Sierra were done through an older MacBook Pro model 8,3 that has the ExpressCard port built in, and not through Thunderbolt.

As a result, unfortunately, we do not believe that this scenario can work for you unless you used older operating systems.”

Is that the situation here ?

I really miss the facepalm symbol since the forum update...

The RME ExpressCard uses PCI Express and not USB 2. Not at all. That's why it works perfectly with the Sonnet Echo Pro on my Dell XPS15 with Windows 10 (via StarTech TB3 to TB2 adapter), and directly on my old MacBook Air with 10.14.3, TB2 to Echo Pro.

I don't know why it fails on your system, but it works here for me, right now.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias for your help can you also tell me what driver do use on windows and on Mac and how can I clean reinstall the drivers if needed ?

I always use the latest one from our website. Driver deinstallation is in the manual...or here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=5004

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by Hugh 2019-02-17 19:38:16)

Hello,

I don't know if this applies to you or not -

I've attempted to use the Sonnet expresscard pro with an expresscard Madiface on several macs running OS10.12 and there appears to be what I'm guessing is a power delivery issue.  I don't think your Multiface has an indicator for the expresscard powering up, but on the bus powered Madiface there's an led indicator which illuminates briefly then goes out and this cycle continues until a successful boot.  Looks like power delivery to me because the EchoExpress shows up immediately on the thunderbolt bus but watching the console logs there are no disconnect errors nor initialization of the audio streams until the Madiface finally boots.  This can take 5 minutes as the led indicator on the Madiface cycles on and off.  Naturally I don't use it this way but I was testing to determine the issue.

I found I can get it to boot on some macs by choosing the thunderbolt connection.  One port of a powered thunderbolt dock consistently requires 5 minutes to boot, the other port boots immediately every time.  One mac will power it with a dock connected, another mac will only power it when the dock is disconnected.  The thunderbolt bus spec has enough power for the EchoExpress+Madiface, I'm guessing the EchoExpress has some on-the-edge power delivery limitations and if the individual thunderbolt bus has a slightly better power delivery the EchoExpress can power it.  Guessing.

I don't know if this applies to you but it took a bit of time to determine the issue here.  Naturally we don't use it on those systems since these are production machines but it's an odd one.

Good luck,
Hugh

Hi Hugh ,

Multiface has external power supply so do not think that it is a power supply issue if you mean that. On Multiface there is aLED which indicates Host Error ...and it lights on when you have no connection with expresscard or pci crd or any otehr host card. This light is always on on my multiface  with echo express and RME expresscard HSDPe. Maybe its an issue with the sonnet echo pro but i am now sure i m still waiting sonnet technical support to answer something serious.

Hi everyone.
I am in exactly the same situation as the OP.

I have recently upgraded my laptop to High Sierra and this has unfortunately rendered the Expresscard/34 Adapter (Sonnet) and RME MADIface expresscard mute.

The OS can see the Expresscard/34 adapter, but it appears that there is a power supply issue causing the RME card to not initialize. This is killing my setup. The whole reason I bought the expresscard adapter was to give the card a new lease of life.

the RME card still works fine in my ancient lenovo windows machine, but unfortunately none of my audio software is functional on a machine that old.

Which laptop is that? See above, mine still works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
High Sierra 10.13.6

Just tested the same setup on my wife's laptop which is a Macbook Air running Mojave.
Same issue.

Driver is latest available (4.12)
Firmware on the MADIFace is 23

15 (edited by dvarnav 2019-03-01 07:15:07)

In my case I have tested so far

Mac Book Pro OSX  Mojave
Mac Book Pro  OSX HighSierra
Assus Motherboard with GIgabyte Ridge Alpine Thunderbolt interface Windows 10
HP Zbook G3 windows 10 (Apple USB C to Thunderbolt interface)

I beleived that its my sonnet interface i still wait from sonnet technical support for support. My hope is Matthias to be sure that it should work finally. But it worths a little bit more research

Just to make one thing clear - I tested the RME ExpressCard for Multiface and Digiface (like the first poster has), not the MADIface card. That one will be checked next week as I have no access to it right now.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Just to make one thing clear - I tested the standard CardBus for Multiface and Digiface (like the first poster has), not the MADIface card. That one will be checked next week as I have no access to it right now.

To be exactly clear you mean express card not card bus as sonnet echo is for express34 cards only is that right?

Yep, posts corrected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Just to make one thing clear - I tested the RME ExpressCard for Multiface and Digiface (like the first poster has), not the MADIface card. That one will be checked next week as I have no access to it right now.

I'll stand by and wait for the results. Basically if I can't get this card working with High-Sierra, I'm truly in trouble - so I'm very keen to hear if there is a solution to this problem.

20 (edited by dvarnav 2019-02-26 19:03:03)

edwar64896 wrote:

Hi everyone.
I am in exactly the same situation as the OP.

I have recently upgraded my laptop to High Sierra and this has unfortunately rendered the Expresscard/34 Adapter (Sonnet) and RME MADIface expresscard mute.

The OS can see the Expresscard/34 adapter, but it appears that there is a power supply issue causing the RME card to not initialize. This is killing my setup. The whole reason I bought the expresscard adapter was to give the card a new lease of life.

the RME card still works fine in my ancient lenovo windows machine, but unfortunately none of my audio software is functional on a machine that old.

As you state Edward here High Sierra can recognize Expresscard and echo pro thunderbolt combo but the card is mute due to power issues but how did you make the power issue test how you are sure about power issues ?

Please note that my assessment of it being a powering issue is not gospel. I am saying that this is what it appears to be, however I cannot confirm this without detailed testing.

I do however have another update which I shall post separately.

Testing update:

OK I did an elimination test today with a colleague who has another sonnet expresscard 34 adapter.
Surprise...surprise, it works fine.

There is, however a small difference between the two units.

The working unit is a Device Revision 0x01
The non-working unit is a Device Revision 0x02

Nothing else changed. Same cable, same MADIFace, same laptop, same os and revision.

This then points to only two remaining possible outcomes:

1. The particular unit I have is faulty.
2. The wider revision 0x2 devices are faulty and do not work with High Sierra or Mojave.

I am hoping that we are looking at just a faulty unit rather than every 0x2 revision unit having the same problem.

Can I get everyone on the thread to respond with the device revision of their sonnet expresscard adapter?

This is the one I have that works.

https://i.imgur.com/MifhwaW.jpg

I have just checked the revision I have ( it’s a brand new module) revision 0x02

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0GcK-nr … -POzg#Home

Now it’s a very good idea to make a call to all of this interface users to check the revision that they have and if there is an issue on RME express34 card use with their echo express pro sonnet interface.

I have a 0x1 as well. But we also have a 0x2 that we can check. There is a difference with support for different PCIe revisions, I have to find that info somewhere (it came from official Sonnet channels).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am reaching out to Sonnet on this via my distributor as well.
Good that Matthias has 0x1 and 0x2 Revisions.

Interestingly when I queried Sonnet on the different physical characteristics between the 0x1 and 0x2 (friction insert on 0x2 as opposed to toggle insert on 0x1) - they indicated that this was the only difference between the two and was due to the original toggle-insert design being discontinued by the original component manufacturer.

Eagerly awaiting the response from Sonnet and any testing that MC can do.

Is this a revision "0x1" of the "Pro" card, or does "0x1" mean that it is the *non* "Pro" card? The non Pro is PCIe v1.1 the Pro card is PCIe v2.0.

Edwar64896 a question to clarify. Your box that was working on older OS X  is revision 0x2 ?

Hesitantly.... yes.

I borrowed an adapter from my colleague prior to the gig I did last year. I am fairly certain though that the one I used on the job was my own (0x2) version, but I can't be 100% sure now you mention it.

I'm going to err on the side of yes, it was the 0x2 version, therefore it was working with an earlier version of the OS.

Timur Born wrote:

Is this a revision "0x1" of the "Pro" card, or does "0x1" mean that it is the *non* "Pro" card? The non Pro is PCIe v1.1 the Pro card is PCIe v2.0.

These hardware revision refer to the Sonnettech Expresscard Adapter, not any RME gear.

30 (edited by dvarnav 2019-03-02 14:18:39)

edwar64896 wrote:

Hesitantly.... yes.

I borrowed an adapter from my colleague prior to the gig I did last year. I am fairly certain though that the one I used on the job was my own (0x2) version, but I can't be 100% sure now you mention it.

I'm going to err on the side of yes, it was the 0x2 version, therefore it was working with an earlier version of the OS.

Now do you have one to check it ?

edwar64896 wrote:
Timur Born wrote:

These hardware revision refer to the Sonnettech Expresscard Adapter, not any RME gear.

I know, instead of "card" I should have written adapter, but the question remains the same.

MC wrote:

I have a 0x1 as well. But we also have a 0x2 that we can check. There is a difference with support for different PCIe revisions, I have to find that info somewhere (it came from official Sonnet channels).

Matthias did you finally checked the 0x2 revision compatipabilty with RME Hdspe expresscard34?

Unfortunately it turned out that our second Echo is also revision 0x1 (and works). I will contact Sonnet about this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I also contacted with sonnet USA and i am waiting an engineer give an answer  reporting the exact problem. I hope there will be a solution to the issue

Sonnet  finally told me that maybe my device is defective and now I wait to resolve that situation. On the other hand they told me that  the only difference  between 0x1 and 0x2 version is the mechanical part and there is no electrical or other difference as maybe stated here. So I suppose that it should work without any problems with RME device in any case.

Finally I got one new that works without any issue on Mojave as far as I be tested. Btw drivers on this old card really make this so reliable  hardware a real audio machine. I am happy with RME products as was from the first day I bought that multiface. This was a real well worth it invenstment

37 (edited by edwar64896 2019-04-15 15:11:57)

OK I have had my Sonnet adapter back with the manufacturer under RMA and they have sent a replacement unit. Still 0x2 version, but now works fine. Same mechanical changes as before but seems to be working OK with the RME MADI expresscard - which I am very happy about!

No information from Sonnet as to what they believe the issue was.

You were lucky as i forced to send it back refund it and then i had to b=uy a new one from other shop that works fine. It was just defective and |Sonnet asured me about that ... Unfortunately Bajabi the Spain shop did not exchange it