Topic: 2 Questions about ADI-2 DAC

I have 2 questions about the ADI-2 DAC:

Is it possible to get the volume level meters on the unit to show the level of the incoming signal?
Mine shows the level of the outgoing signal and it only matches the Digicheck levels when I have set the units volume to 0db obviously. The Spectrum Analyzer on the other hand always show the levels of the incoming signal and matches Digicheck perfectly at all times. It would be great to be able to see the exact volume (dbfs) levels of the incoming signal as I am using the unit in a mastering chain.

Pressing the big volume knob doesn't do anything. Is there a way to map anything to this function? (Mute would be great.)

Many thanks.

Re: 2 Questions about ADI-2 DAC

1) Read this thread: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24743

However, with all DSP enhancements except the volume control disabled, the level meter reading can easily be referenced back to the ingoing digital amplitude, as the only difference is the known level change through the volume control. Using AutoRef complicates this a bit but a correct reading of the ingoing digital amplitude is still possible.

The spectrum analyser displays the outgoing signal with some amplitude normalisation (at least on my DAC). In the above mentioned thread, however, MC seems to claim that the analyser shows the ingoing signal (post 6, bottom).

2) If you have no headphones/IEMs connected, you can mute the Line Out by setting the DAC to switch to the Phones/IEM output by pressing the volume knob half a second. This can be done in Setup -> Device Mode -> Mute Line: Toggle Ph/Line. See the manual section 14.1.3 on p. 26. However, there will be a ramp up of level after 'unmuting' unlike with the proper mute function of the DAC.

Also, pressing the volume knob in the EQ menu cycles through the filter bands.

Manual: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf

I did not say it shows the ingoing signal. I said it is Pre the volume control. The analyser is past the EQ, for example, so does not show the real input signal..

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you jiw for the information and the link. Much appreciated.

To RME: it would indeed be very useful to have an option at least to see the levels pre-volume. If the Spectrum Analyzer can access the information pre-volume then I hope there might be a future possibility to have the volume levels be able to do the same.

Thank you again.