Topic: SPDIF vs INT clock

Once again, please dispel my doubts. It still seems to me that something is confused in the device with the modes of internal and external clocking. Today I was faced with new evidence. I have an old Sony diskman. Its inner clock is so imperfect that it reproduces the signal of 11025 Hz with a difference of 6 Hz (that is, like 11019 Hz). This device is full of jitter. But besides the linear analog output, the diskman also has an optical output. And what do I see when playing a signal through an optical cable on RME?
The difference of 6 Hz occurs only in the SRC mode (internal clock is on). When I switch to classic synchronization from the SPDIF source, the signal becomes ideal - all the extra peaks are disappear, and the main signal peak is exactly at 11025 Hz. Although it should be the other way around!

Re: SPDIF vs INT clock

When i plug that diskman to the other dac (mytek dac96) it shows same 11019 Hz. Could it be that RME is actually clocked from a source in the SRC/INT mode?

That it is ****19hz with src makes sense of course. You can feed it any sample rate in that mode and it should not change pitch. Suppose you feed it 32k should it than play back at 1.5 speed? But how it can fix the slower speed in spdif mode I don't know. I does support the claim it reclocks to internal clock quality (but not resample the would give ****19hz again). How it handles the about 24 samples per second it is missing, because of the slower minidisc clock????

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

4 (edited by dir 2019-02-23 11:46:22)

i have no minidisc, i use old portable CD-player Sony with toslink output
it shows '16bit passed' when clock sets SPDIF / SRC off only

any idea?