1 (edited by fknchino 2017-03-02 15:06:48)

Topic: Digital breakout cable

Hi, I'm seeing that there's lack of information with some of the breakout cables here which leads me to ask some silly questions.
I see theres a white and red connector for spdif, is this Stereo In/Out? or is this L/R.
BO968
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images2500x2500/RME_BO968_BO968_Digital_Breakout_Cable_358556.jpg

Re: Digital breakout cable

It is spdif in and out. So 2 stereo pairs. Same for the XLR, but AES in and out.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

It is spdif in and out. So 2 stereo pairs. Same for the XLR, but AES in and out.

thanks for the quick reply, vinark!
which is IN and which is OUT?
just to clear things up for anyone else

On mine white is in.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Usually this is described in the handbook.

50/50 chance to find it out by trial and error btw ... should be fair enough wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by lebarde 2017-03-31 00:12:54)

Just taking advantage of that topic to say...
I was looking at a breakout cable compatible with 9632.. I found that page here in Swiss :
http://www.houseofsound.ch/rme-breakout … risch.html
71chf (ca 65€) for that piece of wire... how crazy is that! +shipping of course.
Definitely going to get a SUB-D connector for 2€ and soldier two leftover RCA cables on it.

edit : done! with a piece of leftover laying old cable I had to cut with a cutter knife because it was not un-mountable. Put it back together with heat shrink insulation, works like a charme smile
Just astonished that the official product could be sold so damn expensive, I'm sure you guys at RME would get just a few coins from selling that product out to resellers, so where is the rip-off ?

These are replacement parts that do NOT sell in quantities. And that makes them expensive through the whole chain. Same with other manufacturers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by fknchino 2017-03-31 16:13:00)

According to the manual..
(Spdif I/O as secondary AES I/O)

Operation as second AES/EBU I/O Receiving signals in AES/EBU format requires a cable adapter. Pins 2 and 3 of a female XLR plug are connected individually to the two pins of a phono plug. The cable shielding is only connected to pin 1 of the XLR - not to the phono plug (see chapter 23.2). 
Professional AES/EBU equipment can be connected to the HDSPe AIO thanks to the ‘Professional’ format option with doubled output voltage. The required cable is the same as the one for the input, but with a male XLR plug instead of a female one.

I'm hoping to utilize one of the spdif IN and convert it to have another AES input.
The AES input signal will be carried out from a digital DB25 connection (Apogee AD16x)

Few questions

• Can I leave the spdif OUT, as is (kept as intended)?

• Will I still need this 'adapter'? For example, RCA > XLR > DB25?

• Is it possible to go RCA > DB25?

• Someone PLEASE clarify the specific connector (XLR-F/XLR-M) for AES I/O on the digital breakout

THANK YOU

Which card is that?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Which card is that?

HDSPe AIO

For those who are interested.

I tested the breakout cable for continuity and came to this conclusion
(-) = Negative
(+) = Positive

• Pin 1 = AES/EBU I/O Ground

• Pin 2 = SPDIF Out (-)

• Pin 3 = SPDIF Out  (+)

• Pin 4  = SPDIF In (-)

• Pin 5 = SPDIF In (+)

• Pin 6 = AES/EBU Out (+)

• Pin 7  = AES/EBU Out (-)

• Pin 8  = AES/EBU In (+)

• Pin 9 = AES/EBU In (-)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank you

The pin list of all breakout cables is found in the manual, page 80.

The AIO can use AES and SPDIF I/O simultaneously, so if the clock situation is correct it can use two SPDIF or two AES devices via the adapter cables as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The pin list of all breakout cables is found in the manual, page 80.

The AIO can use AES and SPDIF I/O simultaneously, so if the clock situation is correct it can use two SPDIF or two AES devices via the adapter cables as well.

So theoretically i can just make my own breakout cable and utilize the aes/spdif inputs to go directly from a db25 aes output, am i correct?

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey Guys,

When I bought my Raydat (used), there wasn't any cables with it. I have a HDSP 9652 card with digital cable, and need spdif I/O on the Raydat. Is it possible to use the HDSP digital cable on the Raydat for spdif I/O.

I can't find the pin out on the HDSP cable, nither I can find it for the Raydat. Is the pin out listed some where?

RME Raydat, Asus Z370-A prime, i7 8700, Noctua D15s cooler, Corsair RM850x, Crucial 32GB DDR4 ram

16 (edited by ramses 2018-05-21 12:01:21)

According to the information on product page and in the accessory shop these are 2 different breakout cables:

9652:     Digital Breakout-Cable, SPDIF (BOHDSP9652)
RayDAT: Digital Breakout-Cable, AES/EBU & SPDIF (BO968)

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/products_cables_bohdsp9632.jpg
http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/products_cables_bo968.jpg

EDIT:
Ah ok, now I see what your question is, whether it would work only for the SPDIF part, sorry can't tell, also found no pinout.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hey remses,

yes, I only need the spdif connections. It could be, that RME has used the same pin connections of both the HDSP 9652 and the Raydat. The I could use the HDSP cable I have on my Raydat card.

I've looked after the pin schematic on the 9 pins connecter in the Raydat and HDSP manual, but couldn't find anything.

RME Raydat, Asus Z370-A prime, i7 8700, Noctua D15s cooler, Corsair RM850x, Crucial 32GB DDR4 ram

RayDAT: manual page 42.

9652:
Pin  Name             Pin  Name                      Pin  Name
1     SPDIF Out +   4     TC In -                    7     Clk In +
2     nc                   5     SPDIF In - (GND)     8     TC In +
3     Clk In -           6     SPDIF Out - (GND)   9     SPDIF In +

Clk and TC are not used for SPDIF I/O. RayDAT SPDIF Out will not work, SPDIF In should when selecting AES In. The breakout cable is needed for full functionality.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks a lot MC. The first you is blinded on is the eyes. It's all in the manual, and also that the DIGI, HDSP series and RayDAT uses the same pin connections, which is great. then I can use my HDSP digital cable on the RayDAT.

Hey guys,

Long time ago I posted in this topic, about if I could use a HDSP digital cable for my RayDat. And today I've used Spdif for the fist time from Raydat to my new Drawmer CMC3 monitor controller, which has Spdif input.

It worked, when I enable WDM spdif in the driver control panel. Before that, I used ADAT1 out to an RME ADI8.

So now to my question:
- What is the "spdif out professional, ADAT4" all about? Doesn't seem to do much when I check the options buttons.
- Is there any other way / something else I should to, to make most out of using spdif out from Raydat to my new drawmer unit?

Well, it seems like everything works. But I'm just not sure if I've done it right.