1 (edited by breslin 2019-02-28 18:50:53)

Topic: HDSP-9632 + ADI-2 = no audio output?

Hi I just moved this hardware from one computer to another, and apparently I've set it up incorrectly on the new computer. (It was working fine before.)

Everything looks good except there's no audio coming out of the ADI-2. There's light coming from the optical cable (from the HDSP-9632). But there's no signal registering on the ADI-2's meters.

Audio is coming in from the ADI-2 into the HDSP-9632. I can use it to record. But I can't get sound from the ADI-2.

TotalMix is registering the audio on Analog 1/2 and Main. But again, it's not registering on the ADI-2's meter. The optical cable is physically plugged in correctly.

edit:

a couple more details: there's no blinking lights on the ADI-2. So I assume clock-lock between the ADI-2 and the HDSP-9632 is happy? It's set like usual to Clock 48; Input: OPT; Output: ADAT. Also, audio is successfully coming from the TRS(F) output of the breakout cable from the HDSP-9632.

Re: HDSP-9632 + ADI-2 = no audio output?

What are the settings in the HDSP Settings app on the computer? Could be a mismatch if the ADI-2 is using ADAT mode while the card is set for Optical SPDIF.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff! I played around with those settings and didn't solve it. Right now it's set to:
Clock Source: ADAT In (any setting achieves ADAT In Sync, but "Internal" makes the ADI-2 flash a clock warning, and ADAT In flips between Sync and Lock)
SPDIF In: Optical
SPDIF Out: Optical
everything else unchecked or normal, and SyncCheck is reading ADAT In: Sync. "No lock" on Word Clock or SPDIF In. The ADI is set to Input OPT, Output ADAT. Looks like a happy lock, no lights flashing on the ADI-2. Although in the HDSP Settings, SyncCheck Adat In "Sync" flashes every second, like it's resetting or switching back-and-forth between states. So maybe that's bad.

If I change the HDSP Settings to "Clock Source: Internal" and the ADI-2 setting to "Output: PRO", then I get an unsteady SPDIF In Sync/Lock, and the Clock LED on the ADI-2 flashes an out-of-sync warning every few seconds.

I left the ADI-2 unplugged for a couple months, maybe it needs to be reset somehow? I begin to suspect it's a hardware problem...

Again, I'm getting audio out of the headphone jack on the HDSP-9632's breakout cable. So the 9632 is receiving/processing signal. It's just not sending it, or the ADI-2 is messed up? Hmm...

On your ADI-2: This setting Output: ADAT is mismatched with your HDSP Setting. Please try Output: CON

On HDSP Settings, clock source should be SPDIF In

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff, I tried this again but it still didn't help. You seem to be addressing the ADI-2 digital output which already works fine. Audio is coming in from the ADI-2 into the HDSP-9632. I can use it to record.

The problem is that audio isn't being happily received by the ADI-2 from the HDSP-9632. So the problem seems logically to be HDSP-9632 output or ADI-2 input. Please note that I'm using optical cables not RCA ("coaxial") cables.

For what it's worth, I don't understand how "ADI-2 OUTPUT: ADAT" is a mismatch for "HDSP Settings Clock Source: ADAT In". So maybe I misunderstood your point...

Apparently not a setup problem... Any ideas how I can determine whether this is an ADI-2 hardware failure or a HDSP-9632 hardware failure? I changed the optical cables, no difference...

If you don't understand the adat vs spdif it can still be a setup problem! Just know there are 2 protocols possible on an optical cable. Adat or Spdif. They can't communicate! at all So both sides must be set the same. It is set in the  hdsp settings panel, put a check in spdif optical. make sure you send and see the audio in totalmix in the spdif channel output. Also make sure the ADI is set to input and sync to optical in spdif (or if you want the ADI to be master set the HDSP to sync to optical in).

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Try a loopback connection with both devices (optical out to in, with internal clock mode) and see if an output signal is received at the input....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME