Topic: DSP and sound quality

I use Roon for playing music, which also has DSP, and if I apply a set of filters in the RME DAC (and no filters in Roon) and compare that sound to the same filters in Roon but no DSP in DAC it's quite easy to hear that Roon sounds a little better (there is a little harshness in the sound when using DSP from RME).

I would assume that this is because extra work inside the DAC, which in turns generate electronic noice which affects sounds, but it could also be in software, in which case it might be possible to solve in a firmware upgrade.

Anyone else noticed this?

Re: DSP and sound quality

It should be obvious that the 'filters' that you tried are not identical in Roon and the DAC. So what 'filters' are we talking about here?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

EQ filters, I applied a set of 5 modifications (dB, Q, Hz) to the PEQ in the DAC, and then did the same to the PEQ in Roon, and compared by enabling one and disabling the other and vice verse.

They will sound absolutely identical if they are identical. That said there are different versions of EQ operation, especially the Q definition can be VERY different, so differences can easily happen (Variable Q, Constant Q, mixed versions...).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Tried it today and could not reproduce, so it was something else. As far as I can tell, EQ in the DAC or in Roon gives the exact same sound.

Magnus,

Alcohol has that effect. smile

But....unless you are truly making the SAME EQ Adjustments (freq, Q, amplitude) you will most certainly hear different results.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Well yes, obviously, and thats what I did but today I tried it again and could not spot any differences. Sadly I can't blame alcohol :-)