1 (edited by jeandado 2019-03-14 16:38:17)

Topic: how to properly connect 2 sets of speakers and switch between them

hey guys,
I hope you can walk me through this.
I'm a loving RME user for years, love total mix,
but now as i have to get a bigger interface (ufx+ or ufxii) I wonder if I can finally accomplish what I never managed to do:

connect 2 sets of speakers (one stereo pair and one 5.1 setup) and switch between them with one button.

At Tonmeistertagung in Cologne the RME people told me I can save snapshots and switch via USB ARC, but as I understood, all the other input/output settings that are set in that moment in totalmix are changed as well by that.

how do you guys do it?
I also want to be able to switch to mono.

thanks alot!
Jean

Re: how to properly connect 2 sets of speakers and switch between them

I do it from the DAW. Cubase/Nuendo has a control room.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

jeandado wrote:

At Tonmeistertagung in Cologne the RME people told me I can save snapshots and switch via USB ARC, but as I understood, all the other input/output settings that are set in that moment in totalmix are changed as well by that.

This sentence somehow makes absolutely no sense to me.

You create a routing only through Analog 1/2, save it to snapshot 1.
You create another routing through Analog 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, save it to another snapshot 2 (*).

(*) You can even create and store a fader group for Analog 3-8 so that levels differencies stay as required
between all the channels of 5.1 if you change the volume. This is also store in the snapshot.

You can recall  snapshot 1 or 2 as you like...
Routing, Gain Settings, Fader Positions, .. everything will will be restored as you saved it.

I do not see any issues.

The only thing that people wish for TM FX is to support 5.1 and alike for the control room, so that all the control room functions as dim, etc can be used in a 5.1 setup.

But to make 5.1 work basically you do not need to perform more than to route audio to the 6 output channels and thats it. It's not really required to have those channels in the control room section of TM FX.

Otherwise see comment from Vinark ... also a solution.

I personally would prefer the flexibility of TotalMix, to be able to save settings digitally and to be able to recall them.

When I remember right RME told already that 5.1 support is planned for TM FX.

You can use the ARC USB and TM FX Control Room features already fully for the one pair of stereo speakers
and maybe also for volume changes. I would try to simply use 2 of the 6 channels as monitor B, then to create a channel group so that the volume can be increased and decreased for all 6 channels by using the ARC USB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

thanks ramses!

but still:
if I safe 2 snapshots, one for AN1/2 (stereo) and one for lets say ADAT 3-8 (5.1),
anytime I switch between those two, ALL my other setting are gone.
like when I mic'd drums etc, got some headphone mixes for musicians, it is all gone when I change the snapshot.

what am I missing?

5 (edited by ramses 2019-03-15 19:55:08)

Sorry, now I got the point.
Let me explain, my settings are more static than yours, for all that I usually do I have prepared snapshots (around 6).
Therefore I didn't get the point that Speaker B's advantage is, that it has the same routing as Main Out.
Many thanks to work that one out.
Now I understand much better why some ppl have such a demand for this.

Curious how RME plans to implement this. Whether it would be possible to A/B between two sets of x.y or to switch between Speaker A, B, C, D .. time will tell ;-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

thanks ramses for clarifying!

yes, the needs are specific, but on the other hand Totalmix is always praised as most flexible, but in this case, I've been trying to figure that out since 2014.

As I have to choose a bigger interface now (upgrading my babyface), this unsolved issue is really a dealbreaker to me.

Others may dont have this problem because they are using a monitor controller, but I don't want to spend thousands on that, when I really only need a simple speaker A/B and a mono button.

What DAW are you using?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

cubase. but not all the time, I need a physical button for that smile

9 (edited by hotliquer 2019-05-16 19:07:28)

vinark wrote:

I do it from the DAW. Cubase/Nuendo has a control room.

Hey I am curious how you did this with TotalMix. When I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3P_RENaoG0 it only switch my outputs on the analogs out, but did not switch the assigned speakers or speakers b in control room on TotalMix.

I have two sets of monitors. Two setup in Cubase control room; one set on 3&4 and the other on 5&6. When I click in Cubase they certainly change in hardware of inputs of TotalMix, but on TotalMix control room it stays as 3&4 so my main monitors are always the output. What am I missing. I have followed a few tutorials on youtube but they all give me the same output on TotalMix.

I am using a FireFace 800 with Cubase 10 pro.

Hopefully!