1 (edited by badboxer 2019-03-18 15:54:20)

Topic: TotalMix FX turning on AutoSet, 48 V and PAD randomly on one channel

Last weekend I had a recording session using UFX+ and OctaMic XTC on a 2018's MacBook Pro. I recorded drums on 10 channels (2 channels on UFX+ and all 8 of the OctaMic). For some reason channel 1 and sometimes channel 2 on the OctaMic turned on AutoSet, 48 V and PAD without any reason. Even if I turned it off again in TotalMix FX it got turned it on again after 10 seconds or 30 seconds or so while the drummer played. Completely randomly and what's even more weird: It happens even if there is NO cable connected to the channels! And it also sometimes turned it off by itself. This seems very weird to me. Did anyone else notice this behaviour? I only have this problem for channel 1/2 of the OctaMic.

Re: TotalMix FX turning on AutoSet, 48 V and PAD randomly on one channel

Do you perhaps use both: RME Midi Remote and in TM FX AUX Device ?
Thats not possible, XTC can only be remote controlled by one instance, either by Midi Remote or by TM FX (Aux Device).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by badboxer 2019-03-18 16:56:30)

My setup:

RME UFX+ connected through MADI to the XTC. Then from USB of the UFX to the MacBook and the DAW I'm using is Reaper. And to control the hardware I only use TotalMix. That's it. No Midi Remote. I just set all hardware back to factory default and will test it again later this week.

4 (edited by badboxer 2019-04-16 18:56:56)

So, some weeks later.

The reason for the issue seems to be the MIDI-port of the UFX+. If I've connected the Roland TM-6 Pro Drum Trigger Module to the MIDI Input of the UFX+ then I get the issue that the 48 V, the AutoSet and PAD on Input 1 on the OctaMic XTC gets turned on randomly.

Does anyone knows why this is?

And an additional question: I tried then to connected the Roland Module to the MIDI input of the Octamic XTC but then I am not able to get the signals into my DAW. The UFX+ and the OctaMic are connected by MADI.

Thanks for the details. It would be helpful if you could track down the issue a bit more. AFAIU the XTC does not see/get the Roland MIDI signals. In that case the MIDI signals cause a settings change in TotalMix FX. Both can be easily verified. Deactivate MIDI over MADI (simply set the XTC Control to an unused port for MIDI In). Here we would expect that the settings in the first channel in TM FX change, but no longer in the XTC.

What MIDI input port is currently set in TM FX? Is OSC active?

Deactivate the MIDI input port (set to None) in the TM FX settings. The problem should no longer show up. As next step you could activate the MIDI port again, but turn off 'Enable Protocol support'. This would further help to point to the cause.

Finally: How often does this happen? Could you make logs of the incoming MIDI data and stop them as soon as the settings change, so one has a chance to identify the MIDI notes or commands that trigger the change?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi!

Is there any news to this?

Had a recording session yesterday and I was surprised that those thing occurred also to me. In my case it was the Pad switch and also the gain on 2 of my 4 XTCs, 2 times in 4h.
It happend two times, the first time I thought maybe i did something wrong but the second time i could literally see it switch in TM FX on my screen without my interaction.

Macbook Pro 2015 -TB2-> UFX+ -MADI(optical)-> 4 XTC.
Recording with Cubase, it was only recording, no processing etc. and processor load was low.
Drivers and Firmware are up to date.
All MIDI Ports were disabled in Cubase

Additional info but i can't see a reason: When testing my setup in a 5h+ continuous recording it didn't occur or at least the state in the beginning and end were the same.

Thanks!

It seems the steps that I described in post 5 allowed the user to find the culprit. You should do the same.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the response.

The MIDI input was already set to none, but i'll try to log the MIDI data to see if i get more information.