1 (edited by j123 2017-03-10 02:02:01)

Topic: Can RME modify the TotalMix FX on iPad Pro

Can RME modify the TotalMix FX on iPad Pro, considering the power of the iPad Pro compared to a normal iPad, to allow reverb and echo to be processed on it as is done on PCs when using the Babyface Pro?

At the moment this is not possible as the Babyface Pro has no hardware capabilities to perform the echo and reverb and relies on the host PC CPU to perform all these effects. I can understand why these effects were not included in the iPad scenario, but surely it can be included in the iPad Pro scenario.

A considered response from RME would be appreciated.

Re: Can RME modify the TotalMix FX on iPad Pro

The application as such can not render any effects, it is only a GUI for the various devices' hardware mixer. Also, since there is no proprietary driver running and the connection is not comparable to a regular USB 2.0 conection on a Mac or PC, I do not think this is technically possible.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

As you are not sure,  can you please check with your technical team?  Actually I would prefer if they could respond directly here.

It may require an innovative solution (an app, etc) but I don't accept that it is impossible as you suggest. The iPad Pro is a beast of a machine (not cheap) and surely has the CPU power to provide this functionality. It would also be a great selling point for the Babyface Pro - so the investigation would help RME

Let's say I'm confident it won't happen. For one, added CPU capabilities do not change possible limitations of the Lightning/USB connection, nor of the driverless operation. Furthermore, it would make this application significantly more expensive, even for those customers with other interfaces. A separate app just for one device in one specific setup would make no sense, esp. when the functionality can be recreated in iPad DAW apps such as Auria.

As an aside, my personal preference over iPads for mobile setups are Windows tablets.
Full ASIO driver support, full Totalmix capablities, and far better performance. I've posted some test results here: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=22228

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks, that's really interesting.  I have had a look around for a Windows Tablet but none are sold here anymore, instead the push is for Windows Surface / Pro which are very expensive.

There are, however, many Android cheap tablets, eg from Lenovo, Samsung, etc, etc.  I realise that there is no TotalMix FX for Android, but is there a technical reason?  Eg Does the USB port on Android support the so called hi-bandwidth mode?

Android devices are hit and miss, some will work with external audio devices, some won't. Also, this would also be driverless, and I don't think there are any applications that even come close to what is available on the iPad. No point for a TMFX app here, really.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok. Thanks.

RME Support wrote:

Let's say I'm confident it won't happen. For one, added CPU capabilities do not change possible limitations of the Lightning/USB connection

Does the latest iPad Pro’s usb-c connection offer any new possibilities in this regard?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk