Topic: RME FF800 Adat showing and locked but no audio out!

Having a strange problem with my circa 2012 Mac Pro. Running the last version of High Sierra with a my FF800 autosynced to a Saffire Pro 40 at 48khz on ADAT 2 (ADAT cable snapped off in ADAT1 port so that's not useable). ADAT 2 light is green on FF800 front and not intermittent. I'm getting signal in Totalmix and audio on my DAW from ADAT in but only getting a signal on Totalmix for ADAT out! When I use the the Saffire as the main interface plugged via firewire the audio out works fine. Any ideas? Recently moved over the high sierra from whatever was before and that's pretty much the only thing that has changed in my setup. Anything I'm missing here?

2 (edited by ramses 2019-03-24 07:59:52)

Re: RME FF800 Adat showing and locked but no audio out!

You description is incomprehensible. Keep in mind that I do not sit in front of your PC and devices.

How is the setup / cabling exactly and what is the problen, what does not work ?

Main Interface Saffire Pro 40 connected to Mac via FW400 ?
FF800 working in standalone mode or also connected to the Mac via FW400 or FW800 to be able to control routing ?

How is the cabling ?

If it should be like this:
Saffire Pro 40 ADAT OUT -> FF800 ADAT2 IN  (if FF800 is also connected via FW:
                                                                       do you see a sync on the FF800 in the driver settings dialog)
Saffire Pro 40 ADAT IN    <- FF800 ADAT2 OUT (do you see a sync on the Saffire Pro 40 ?)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I'll try again. My FF800 is the main interface and I've got my SF Pro 40 on ADAT2 for extra channels. I'm not getting any audio out of my Saffire Pro 40 which is being used via ADAT from my Fireface 800. The ADAT light under Analog/Digital State on my FF800 us lit, the sync light is also lit on the SF Pro 40. When I send audio to the ADAT out I see it on the meters in Total mix but no audio is actually coming out. I've got the cabling set up correctly and have swapped out both cables to make sure they're not at fault. Can't explain it!

How do you know that no audio 'is coming out'? Did you plug the optical cable back to the FF800 (loopback) ancd checked that you see input levels in TM FX? Or did you set SPDIF Out to ADAT2 in the Settings dialog?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by doing 'loopback' on the FF800. Do you mean plugging the ADAT out directly into the ADAT in on the FF800 for some reason? What I mean is that I physically patched the output from the Saffire to an input and no audio is coming through that input. SPDIF is set to coaxial.

The idea is to test the FF800 ADAT I/O alone, this is basic troubleshooting. If it works, you will see the output signal on the inputs of TotalMix.

Did you ever set up the Saffire for stand alone use? It needs to be configured.
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ … lone-Mode-

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.