Topic: Confused: snapshots vs workspace vs layout

Hi all,

I've had my setup for 2 months now and I'm confused how to best set this up:

ingredients:
- PC, MADIfx, 2x Orion32 (32 AD/DA) via MADI optical, ARC USB for control,
- 2x stereo monitoring attached to 2nd Orion32 channels 25-26 and 27-28 (yes, those - for various patchbay and cable mgmt reasons)

I use 44/48k (x1 sample rate) as well as 88/96k (x2) projects. In a x1 project my monitoring is on output pairs 89/90 and 91/92, when using x2 they are at 57/58 resp. 59/60.
Also on x1 the 2nd orion occupies I/O 65->96 and on x2 it is at 33->64

For my mental health I'd love to name all ins and outs to the attached hardware and view only the relevant channels in TotalMixFX.

Using layouts helps but the Assigned outputs are not following along. If I save a snapshot with the right assigned outputs it won't follow.

What am I doing wrong or how should I proceed?

Thanks in advance,
Herwig

2 (edited by ramses 2019-04-07 13:27:14)

Re: Confused: snapshots vs workspace vs layout

deadpoet wrote:

Hi all,

I've had my setup for 2 months now and I'm confused how to best set this up:

ingredients:
- PC, MADIfx, 2x Orion32 (32 AD/DA) via MADI optical, ARC USB for control,
- 2x stereo monitoring attached to 2nd Orion32 channels 25-26 and 27-28 (yes, those - for various patchbay and cable mgmt reasons)

I use 44/48k (x1 sample rate) as well as 88/96k (x2) projects. In a x1 project my monitoring is on output pairs 89/90 and 91/92, when using x2 they are at 57/58 resp. 59/60.
Also on x1 the 2nd orion occupies I/O 65->96 and on x2 it is at 33->64

For my mental health I'd love to name all ins and outs to the attached hardware and view only the relevant channels in TotalMixFX.

Using layouts helps but the Assigned outputs are not following along. If I save a snapshot with the right assigned outputs it won't follow.

What am I doing wrong or how should I proceed?

Thanks in advance,
Herwig

I dont understand this part in your description:

> Using layouts helps but the Assigned outputs are not following along.
> If I save a snapshot with the right assigned outputs it won't follow.

Can you provide eventually pictures ?

What TotalMix FX version are you using ? If I remember exactly RME last recently kind of "fixed" Layout presets.
- Preferences, Mixer Views: New option 'Store channel open/close state in Layout Preset'.
By this the channel state restores properly when recalling a snapshot.

If you change between 44.1/48 and 88.2/96, then you can use "Channel Layout"
to remove not required channels and store this to a Snapshot.

Now with the new option "Store channel open/close state in Layout Preset" you can properly store also the Layout Preset together with a Snapshot.

I was btw the guy who requested this feature ;-) Thanks for RME for providing it in the last TM FX version !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Confused: snapshots vs workspace vs layout

ramses wrote:

I dont understand this part in your description:

> Using layouts helps but the Assigned outputs are not following along.
> If I save a snapshot with the right assigned outputs it won't follow.

Thanks for the help.

In my x1 template I assign "Main Out" and "Main Out B" to out89/90 and 91/92 (using the Assign button in the bottom right of the TMFX window).
When I switch to x2 those outputs don't switch along.

SOLVED:
I did some further testing and saving/loading. It works using Workspaces - which is easily recalled using the "W" button.

I now have a workspace for my 44/48k sessions with properly labeled in/daw/outs and one for my 88/96k sessions as well, great!

Now off to check how to use the usr mgmnt to give artists a cue mix window a musician can actually use wink

Herwig