Topic: Save Channel Names to Snapshot

Hey all,

One feature that I think would be particularly useful is the ability to save channel names to a particular snapshot, rather than have them the same globally across all snapshots, should you prefer it to be set that way.

Is this something that could be added to a future version of TotalMix?

Re: Save Channel Names to Snapshot

Why is there a need for that? Channel names are usually global or hardware related and don't change between mixing states. Also changing Workspaces is as easy as Snapshots (W hotkey...).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by andregriffin 2019-05-02 05:49:01)

I have a mobile rig. The ways I use the I/O changes with each artist I'm using the hardware for. If the names were stored in the Layout presets, that would be equally acceptable. As far as I can see, they currently are not.

Depending on the act I'm working with, I'm using the local inputs on my UFX for vocals, guitars, IEM inputs, etc. I create snapshots and layouts for each act I work with, and it would be nice to be able to keep track of what I've set my local I/O for.

Edit: I see the workspaces option now. Thanks for pointing that out. That's great, thanks.

I disagree. Snapshots are mixer states, nothing else. Workspaces have been designed for exactly what you want to do. Also doing this with Snapshots you are prone to fail and loose your data/settings easily, unless you save it all in a Workspace (!).

Did you try the W hotkey? Ah, I see, you did wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well I disagree with your disagreement.

I would love if the names saved in a snapshot.  Example, going from a 5.1 output setup, to a stereo output, recalling this on the ARC USB via snapshot.  Or from my recording setup to mixing with inserts.  I name the playback channels and outputs for what's being used, Example L, R, C, LFE, Lr, Rr, but other setups I use Mon1, Mon2 or Spring reverb out....

complete agree that not being able to save channel names to snapshots is a massive oversight. I would also love this feature. So far having invested in an ARC USB for my UFX III it feels not that worth the money as the assignability is so limited in function.

My use case:

I regularly record drums in my studio. I want all my preamp channels labelled as 'kick in' 'snare top' etc and to have that assigned to a snapshot. As the rest of the time I want my channels labelled up with their preamp names 'wa MKII' ' 'pre73 1' etc. I can do this with workspaces but I can't assign those to the ARC USB, which then makes what could be a simple button press take far longer. Seems like such an obvious feature.

The solution for this will be to add W Quickselect function to the ARC USB. That is on our list.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME