Topic: New install advice? Digiface I / Cardbus / T61 Thinkpad / Win7 64

Hi everyone. Wondering if there are any obvious pitfalls I should know about before I start out on my first RME experience 8>]

I just bought a brand-new (NOS) DSP Cardbus (flat connector type), and a used Digiface I.

The prospective host is my trusty T61 Lenovo Thinkpad, retirement recently cancelled, fitted with full RAM, an SSD, and Win7 Pro 64.

(I've only minimal experience with recording interfaces, that being some years ago, this same laptop (with WinXP) and an E-Mu 1616.)

I'm most nervous of the 'flashing the Cardbus RAM' business. I remember reading something or other about it, I think in relation to the Cardbus adaptor that has the flat connector.

So, any potential giant headaches to be aware of?

Thanks!
Dave

2 (edited by dbhincal 2019-05-11 00:20:05)

Re: New install advice? Digiface I / Cardbus / T61 Thinkpad / Win7 64

I went ahead and installed the hardware and the current drivers.

Have not yet flashed/updated the card, but so far things seem to want to work... more or less:

TotalMix comes up, optical inputs are recognised, front panel green LED stays lit/red LED off, and audio can be played back from channels ADAT 1 and 2.

A couple of things I don't understand and have found no explanation for...

ADAT 'channel 1' disappeared, to be re-named 'Listen'. Its fader now does nothing.

ADAT channel 2 fader seems now to control the input levels for both channels.

Probably just dumb me, but could someone please explain the above? I can't find any way to get channel 1 back, even opening a new TotalMix window doesn't do it.

(PS -- Another weird thing is that the TM windows will not maximize.)

Does it sound like I'll get away without having to update / flash the PCI card, or am I just fooling myself?

--thanks!

There is no brand-new CardBus card in 2019.

In TotalMix FX - Options - Reset Mix do a 'Total Reset'.

Then download the manual to read about 'Listen' and other stuff:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/wi … er_4_e.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, did some exploring in Options and am slowly figuring it out.

Still don't know why I can't make the TM window full-screen, the 'maximize' rectangle is grayed out.

dbhincal wrote:

OK, did some exploring in Options and am slowly figuring it out.

Still don't know why I can't make the TM window full-screen, the 'maximize' rectangle is grayed out.

The resolutions are predefined / coded for optimum speed, optimum visual quality and least cpu consumption.

Therefore no use of vector graphics to dynamically change the size of TM FX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks. That makes sense.

7 (edited by dbhincal 2019-05-12 17:20:10)

MC wrote:

There is no brand-new CardBus card in 2019.

In TotalMix FX - Options - Reset Mix do a 'Total Reset'.

Then download the manual to read about 'Listen' and other stuff:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/wi … er_4_e.pdf

Thanks. I'm watching the tutorials, and will print out the manual. Yeah I know it's old manufacture. I wanted to point out it was 'unused' / right out of the box from 2007-8(?), so you could assume it hadn't previously been 'flashed'.

So far -- without flashing the card -- the interface and TM software *seem* to work alright (notwithstanding my incomplete understanding of routing options, etc).

I'd very much like to know whether flashing is necessary for this 'old' card to work properly with Win7, or (as it seems might be the case) can I just continue without attempting to flash the card (and the attendant risk).

--thanks

If it works then it works, so you should not risk the flash process.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

If it works then it works, so you should not risk the flash process.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear 8>]

--thanks!

10 (edited by dbhincal 2019-05-18 16:49:18)

Update: Still going alright w/out flashing the card. Although Reaper senses that it's outdated, and suggested flashing for 'enhanced functionality' (?)

I have a minor problem with the fixed window resolution. On my Lenovo T61 (newer model w/ wider/less tall screen) the lower half of the fader section in the 3-row view is hidden (it's at native resolution, so changing display res only makes it window bigger /worse). It would be nice to find a solution without being forced to always use an external monitor.

The mysteries of TM continue to unfold....

--cheers

2-Row mode in upper right corner.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, thanks, I know I can use the 2 row view. Would prefer 3 row, but it won't fit my laptop's display size/ratio.

And that will not change. For seldom, historical display resolutions like yours 2-Row mode was added when we started TM FX many years ago.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by dbhincal 2019-05-19 02:27:26)

I get it now, thanks.

It's not a problem now I see that all three fader rows are visible in the 2-row view.