1 (edited by garfield 2019-05-14 03:12:57)

Topic: Hiding single channel hides it's partner - normal behavior or bug?

Hi,

This is my setup:
OSX 10.11, Digiface USB with 3x ADI-8 DS, was on most current drivers and today tested with latest 1.60 beta

I'm routing a software output to three channels: ADAT 6 (mono), and ADAT 7/8. ADAT 5 is not in use.
Since I don't need ADAT 5, I open the Channel Layout menu, and hide that channel on the mixer/matrix and remotes.

Doing this hides ADAT 5 on the mixer and matrix, as expected. However, it also hides ADAT 6 from the mixer routing destinations in Mixer view. Matrix view works correctly.

Software Playback Destinations before:
ADAT 1/2
ADAT 3/4
ADAT 5
ADAT 6
ADAT 7/8
etc

After hiding ADAT 5, I expect to see destinations:
ADAT 1/2
ADAT 3/4
ADAT 6
ADAT 7/8
etc

but what shows up:
ADAT 1/2
ADAT 3/4
ADAT 7/8
etc

ADAT 6 still appears on the hardware outputs. In Submix mode, if I click on hardware out ADAT 6 it will say "ADAT 1/2" on the software output destination, but still adjusts ADAT 6 correctly. It doesn't matter which pair I have the mono channel hidden on - it always says 1/2, but adjusts the correct channel. In Free mode, it's impossible to access ADAT 6 in this situation without using the matrix.

The opposite: If ADAT 5 and ADAT 6 are mono, and I hide ADAT 6, ADAT 5 is still visible and will focus as a playback destination correctly in Submix mode. ADAT 6 still appears as a destination on the software playback channels, but we cannot access ADAT 6 from the mixer OR matrix.

Software Playback Destinations before:
ADAT 1/2
ADAT 3/4
ADAT 5
ADAT 6
ADAT 7/8
etc

After hiding ADAT 6, I expect to see destinations:
ADAT 1/2
ADAT 3/4
ADAT 5
ADAT 7/8
etc

but what shows up:
ADAT 1/2
ADAT 3/4
ADAT 5
ADAT 6
ADAT 7/8
etc

Does the above make sense? Basically, If I hide one of two stereo channels, submix mode displays either the wrong channel (always ADAT 1/2 of I hide the odd channel) or doesn't hide the channel as a destination (the even channel is always visible as a destination, but not in the mixer or matrix).

EDIT: just to be clear, this happens across the hardware input destinations, as well. This happens anywhere you can assign a destination.

I just want to hide a mono channel so I'm not wasting faders or screen space with outputs I'm not using smile

Thanks for any help!

Re: Hiding single channel hides it's partner - normal behavior or bug?

The list has an internal reference to the left channel of a stereo pair. Removing that removes the entry completely. That's not a serious problem, as you can stilll click on the remaining mono output channel to select the routing destination (Submix mode).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Hiding single channel hides it's partner - normal behavior or bug?

Thank you, Matthias. Yes it was just unexpected, but not too concerning.

So far I love Totalmix! After using it for only a few weeks I've replaced my 16ch/6aux/8bus mixer and two patch bays with Totalmix + a Mackie MCU Pro, and everything wired direct. Soon I will switch from the Digiface USB to an 802 or UFX since I need a few preamps and would like to have the DSP.