1 (edited by loopbreaker 2019-05-12 00:38:42)

Topic: Using Headphone Out 1/2 and 3/4 independently with MultifaceII

Hi.

My ADI2-Pro is connected via ADAT-Toslink to my MultifaceII.

I want to make different Headphone Mixes in Cubase for each Headphone Output.

How can i do that?

Best Regards

HDSPe MADI FX, HDSPe Multiface, 2ADI2-PRO, ADI2,
Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20

Re: Using Headphone Out 1/2 and 3/4 independently with MultifaceII

Hi Loop,

Not sure if that is possible, as I am under the impression that Adat-Toslink from the Multiface II will only give you a stereo out.

I am assuming the headphone mixes you want to create are both from the ADI-2 Pro?

Kind regards

Rodney

Rme Ucx + Rme Adi-2 Dac Fs

3 (edited by loopbreaker 2019-05-12 00:45:09)

Hi Rodney,
Thank you!

I'm mostly working with 44,1khz so 8 Channels are comming from my MultifaceII Toslink-ADAT (i've allready done this to connect it with a fireface).

I wan't to route Audio via Toslink direct to Headphone Out 1/2 and 3/4 from Cubase.
Each Headphone Out should be shown as own StereoOut in Cubase.

I fear, you are right that it's currently not possible, because the ADI2-Pro only playback ADAT1/2 via the Analog Out's, if i read the manual correctly.
But i hope there is/(will be) a solution to slove my problem...

I can't use, the USB Mode from the ADI2-Pro, because I need the In's and Out's from the MultifaceII too...

Best Regards

Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20

4 (edited by ramses 2019-05-10 13:07:53)

This possible in ADDA converter modus, because there its possible to configure the digital source for both analog outputs  individually, like described in my blog article here:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … ort-DE-EN/

The only problem might be for you, that you need to feed the signals through two different digital inputs like AES and ADAT (1/2).
I am not sure, but I think optical and coaxial are not really 2 separated inputs.
The problem with this approach will be, that you do not have AES on your Multiface.

So, a better way would be to get an interface with AES and ADAT for this reason, could be UFX*, RayDAT, ..

BUT ideal would be, to get a recording interface which works with the same MADIface ASIO USB driver, like the UFX II or +, because then you get another cool option without having to waste 2 digital links for such routing tricks:
because then your DAW can access both audio interfaces through USB via the one ASIO driver.

IIRR this was one of the reasons why I recommended to you in the past a combination of UFX II/+ for greater flexibility.

You only need to sync clock ie via AES (master is UFX II/+)  and take care, that you always use the same ASIO buffersize for both devices.
The ADI-2 Pro needs to be set to multichannel mode while it's disconnected from USB.
Now the DAW can access all inputs and outputs of both audio devices directly.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you in advance ramses!

Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20

You're welcome lb. I made some changes to the text meanwhile. .. have no PC ... typing this on smartphone. ..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Loop,

I don’t have an ADI-2 Pro, but I do have the ADI-2 DAC.

Are you toggling between the two headphone outs or do they work simultaneously.

On the DAC it is not possible to use both at the same time. However, I am aware that this is probably due to one being an IEM output.

Kind regards

Rodney

8 (edited by loopbreaker 2019-05-11 03:07:54)

Only optical OR coaxial SPDIF work simousitanly on the ADI-2 PRO.

On my system the MultifaceII has a little better performance than the ADI-2 PRO in Cubase,
so it think i will buy a RayDAT or a other RME-PCIe solution someday (and than i could realize my wish with SPDIF and AES).

But currently i would like to have an option:
"
Phones Out 3/4
Setting
Source  ADAT 3/4
"
and my current Setup would be perfect.

Cubase can make 4 seperat Headphone Mixes, and I'd like to use 2 of the ADI-2 PRO Headphone-Outs, 1 from the MultifaceII and 1 from a headphone-amp hanging on the MultifaceII.

The MultifaceII supports max. 96khz samplerate, so the optical-ADAT connection to the ADI-2 PRO has allways anough channels to deliver 2 headphone-mixes.
Usually i work with 44,1khz, only sometimes I use the ADI for Keyboarding... in 192khz.

In my room there is a Quaddro System,
and I'd like to use the ADI2pro for all 4 monitors,
also with the MultifaceII, not only via USB...

Best Regards

Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20

Rodney_Ferguson_75 wrote:

Hi Loop,

I don’t have an ADI-2 Pro, but I do have the ADI-2 DAC.

Are you toggling between the two headphone outs or do they work simultaneously.

On the DAC it is not possible to use both at the same time. However, I am aware that this is probably due to one being an IEM output.

Kind regards

Rodney

Look / check handbook 14.1.3.
Maybe one of these 3 settings allows you to switch between phones and iem, if phones and iem are plugged at the same time.

I know it's possible with the ADI-2 Pro.

loopbreaker wrote:

Only optical OR coaxial SPDIF work simousitanly on the ADI-2 PRO.

On my system the MultifaceII has a little better performance than the ADI-2 PRO in Cubase,
so it think i will buy a RayDAT or a other RME-PCIe solution someday (and than i could realize my wish with SPDIF and AES).

But currently i would like to have an option:
"
Phones Out 3/4
Setting
Source  ADAT 3/4
"
and my current Setup would be perfect.

Cubase can make 4 seperat Headphone Mixes, and I'd like to use 2 of the ADI-2 PRO Headphone-Outs, 1 from the MultifaceII and 1 from a headphone-amp hanging on the MultifaceII.

The MultifaceII supports max. 96khz samplerate, so the optical-ADAT connection to the ADI-2 PRO has allways anough channels to deliver 2 headphone-mixes.
Usually i work with 44,1khz, only sometimes I use the ADI for Keyboarding... in 192khz.

In my room there is a Quaddro System,
and I'd like to use the ADI2pro for all 4 monitors,
also with the MultifaceII, not only via USB...

Best Regards

I think for quadro you might need smth like a RayDAT and an additional ADI-2 FS,  as quadro requires 4 independent output channels and if all of these channels shall be driven by the same AKM converters.

11 (edited by loopbreaker 2019-05-11 18:19:41)

Thank you very much ramses!

But I can't find out what a AKM converter is.

In case of USB or use of 2 digital Ins, it's possible to use a headphone out, for a 2nd Stereo LineOut (in the manual is told about).
If i interpret the manual, it sounds like, they didn't support ADAT3/4 because of useability...
I think because it's not eaven possible to playback 4Channel 192khz.

But in my case, in wich i want to use my rocksolid MultifaceII farther, it would be perfect if ADIs headphone out could playback ADAT3/4...

Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20

loopbreaker wrote:

Thank you very much ramses!

But I can't find out what a AKM converter is.

In case of USB or use of 2 digital Ins, it's possible to use a headphone out, for a 2nd Stereo LineOut (in the manual is told about).
If i interpret the manual, it sounds like, they didn't support ADAT3/4 because of useability...
I think because it's not eaven possible to playback 4Channel 192khz.

But in my case, in wich i want to use my rocksolid MultifaceII farther, it would be perfect if ADIs headphone out could playback ADAT3/4...

Converter chip inside the ADI-2 Pro:
A/D: AKM AK5574; D/A 2 x AK4490

It would be an extremely nice feature to read more channels out of the ADI-2 Pro ADAT port for the routing of phone.

But on the back of the device are only 2 XLR outputs for monitors.

It comes back to the point that you require for quad sound with "akm converters" an additional ADI-2 FS.

13 (edited by loopbreaker 2019-05-11 19:37:13)

Thank you!!!

I think, i'll buy a second ADI when i buy a new preAmp...,
currently I wan't to use the 2nd headphone Out with Cubase,
via ADAT from my MultifaceII.

Do you think RME could/will do that?
I'll wirte a support ticket...

Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20

14 (edited by ramses 2019-05-11 19:54:30)

To be on the safe side I mean the new ADI-2 FS which is with €689 significantly less expensive, assuming you do not require any new phone preamp.

https://m.thomann.de/de/rme_adi_2_fs.htm Product is delayed, currently you can only preorder.

Another option would be to use two ADI-2 DAC'S for especially this purpose (Quadro) to have two remote controls and to make use of dynamic loudness on both units. You might even control the two ADI-2 DAC with one remote control.

15 (edited by loopbreaker 2019-05-11 22:04:45)

Thank you!

I belive it will be a RayDat (at the least than i can do what i want here) and an ADI-2 FS, but not in the near future.

Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20

16 (edited by loopbreaker 2019-06-10 04:59:33)

I had an e-mail exchange with the RME-Support and he told me,
that it's possible to use the SPDIF-Out of my MultifaceII with a Adapter-Cable,
for the AES Input of my ADI2-PRO

I did not known, that only a simple wire is required to go from coax-SPDIF to AES...
https://www.bilder-upload.eu/thumb/d29604-1560138984.jpeg

So i'll use optical ADAT for Stereo IN and Out
and the coaxial SPDIF-Out from my MultifaceII > SPDIF to AES wire > ADI2-PRO AES-In: for the 2nd Stereo-Out.

Thank you all and
Best Regards

Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20

Bet that was a big relief. Especially financially.

Regards

Rodney

18 (edited by loopbreaker 2019-05-27 13:17:31)

Not really, i think i'll buy a Raydat (if RME doesn't release something better for me),
and an ADI2 FS in the future...

Best Regards

Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20