Topic: Newbie questions

Hi everyone,

Had the ADI-2 for a week or so and enjoying it very much.

BUT I am finding the menus (and most of the menu) to be impenetrable!

Specifically I cannot find the remap remote keys option through the settings button - I get to 'options' but I cannot find the 'hardware/diagnosis' subpage.

Also, how do I do a firmware update?

Sorry that I'm clueless - this is what happens when you launch a dac that also appeals to audiophiles!!!

Thanks, in advance...

2 (edited by ramses 2019-05-14 18:06:18)

Re: Newbie questions

Maybe my blog article helps a little regarding remap key: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … our-Setup/

It's an awesome device with a lot of features that other companies simply do not offer. So give it some time. Rome also has not been build in a day.

I recommend you to check whether you have the latest firmware. The upgrade is very easy with the firmware upgrade tool from webserver.

Best use the latest version of the handbook from webserver, because it's likely that the menu structure changed slightly, this is then covered in the latest version.

The handbooks are very detailed and are available in German and English.

One tip in terms of menues.
With the encoders 1+2 (those for bass and treble) you go up and down inside of a submerge.
To enter a different submerge you need to get up 1st with Encoder 1, then you can select other submenues by turning encoder 1 left and right.

Take some time after a while you get easily used to it, it's really no rocket science.

It is the way it is to be abe that this device can be so compact and has this attractive 9.5 inch format so that it can be rack mounted, at least the ADI-2 Pro FS.

Once your dac has been setup it's as easy to use as any other dac ... but has more advanced features like auto ref level, dynamic loudness, remap key etc.
And the best you can store all settings digital into 9 configuration profiles.

You can even use remap key on the remote controlley to comfortably switch between up to 4 profiles. This becomes very handy if you want to compare ie different converter settings like SD sharp vs NOS etc.

Take your time and have fun. It's an awesome device with very useful features.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by savvypaul 2019-05-14 18:14:43)

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding remapping the keys, I have tried every possible combination of key turns / presses to find the 'hardware / diagnosis' sub page. I was going to put the bass and treble controls, and the filter selection, on the remote...but I think I'll just get up off my fat bottom to adjust them, instead.

Can I live without firmware updates? Nothing will stop working, will it?

I do appreciate that there must be sub pages etc to achieve so much within a small front screen. Just really wish they were more obvious to this 'normal' person...

The link works, just tested with smartphone. Just click to it.

Flashing the unit is a very easy task. Writing about it takes more time than actually doing it.
If you turn on the device it shows you the firmware version. Compare this number with the number in the download section, eventually it's up to date and you do not need to do anything.

Yes every of the 4 knobs has its own menue's.
Most of the time you only require i/o and setup.

At the end of the day this unit does most of the stuff automatically, you simply turn the gain knob and that's it. IF you want more ... there is more ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by savvypaul 2019-05-14 18:32:22)

Yes, I thought I had landed on a 404 type page...but it was a 'verify you are human' screen.

You see, 'flashing the unit' means nothing to me. We really are  speaking a different language, lol.

BUT. I will persevere.

I don't want to do a great deal, really. Would be nice to be able to master at least one customisation, though.

Many thanks,

Paul

In regards to your question in post #1

Firmware update: see handbook chapter 7.
Remap keys: see handbook chapter 14.1.1.

Problems to find hw/diagnostic
Chapter 5.4 shows you the menu structure and how to use the two encoders: Setup -> Options ....

If you have issues or are too impatient, then perhaps ask a more technical oriented person. Everybody has different talents.

This video shows the menu and the way to it:

https://youtu.be/W8qSrg56ET8

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Cool. Thanks, MC

Paul!

Welcome to the Group!   You've Chosen Wisely my Friend, and please trust that the seemingly Vast Menu Structure is only daunting for a little while.   The User Manual is your Friend, and with it at your side, you will quickly grasp the How-Tos of the Very Fine ADI-2 DAC.   

Enjoy your New RME!!

Happy Listening!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

How can I access the menu for DA filters? I want to try the NOS filter. I have watch all the YouTube videos but I can't find it.

11 (edited by Curt962 2019-05-17 20:56:42)

Paul,

Press the I/O Key on the Unit, and then Press Encoder 2 (bottom right) to Scroll to Filter Selection.

12 (edited by Curt962 2019-05-17 21:19:04)

Having done that Paul, do you see that little "2" in the Black Circle??  The DAC is trying to give you a hint!   Rotate encoder 2 to scroll through the filter choices.

Please refer to your User Manual for all the Rest.

Curt

13 (edited by ramses 2019-05-17 21:20:19)

Martin-Andersen wrote:

How can I access the menu for DA filters? I want to try the NOS filter. I have watch all the YouTube videos but I can't find it.

Handbook Chapters:
12 -> I/O
12.1 -> Subsection Settings
         -- D/A Filter

- Chapter 5.4 shows you the menu structure and which of the two encoders to use:
I/O -> Settings

Important: the three analog outputs line out, phones and IEM have all their own settings. So if you want DA Filter NOS for each of the three outputs, then you need to set it for each of the three outputs under i/o settings ....

Where is the like button (:

Thanks, easy to find if you know where to look

ramses wrote:
Martin-Andersen wrote:

Handbook Chapters:
12 -> I/O
12.1 -> Subsection Settings
         -- D/A Filter

- Chapter 5.4 shows you the menu structure and which of the two encoders to use:
I/O -> Settings

Important: the three analog outputs line out, phones and IEM have all their own settings. So if you want DA Filter NOS for each of the three outputs, then you need to set it for each of the three outputs under i/o settings ....

15 (edited by ramses 2019-05-18 10:09:57)

Thanks you're welcome.

Easier than searching something on YouTube is to read the handbook and to use the search function. By searching for NOS you find all relevant chapters. And by reading surrounding chapter titles you can recognize a certain context. It's often simply methodology in searching.
Youtube is IMHO very often a waste of time as there is no search function for spoken words.

It's worth to 1st browse and then to read RME handbooks to know what's inside and as it contains useful information.