Topic: New DAC User -- Need Help

Just picked up the DAC and using it strictly for home HI-FI through Speakers. My first listening impression is that the DAC using NO EQ and a flat signal to the converter sounds thin and artificial for most music. However, when I work the EQ by increasing the mid bass and decreasing the mids/upper mids, etc, the sound stage of the dac really opens up and the tonal quality sounds much more balanced, natural and enjoyable. Is my reaction normal for this unit or should the input sound excellent without EQ adjustment? I'm feeding the dac through a Bluesound Vault 2 and SPDIF/Coax and into an Octave 110 SE Integrated. The clock appears to be controlled by the SPDIF according the the readout on the dac. Perhaps clock sync or some other issue? Maybe a Firmware update is in order?

2 (edited by ramses 2019-05-22 21:45:24)

Re: New DAC User -- Need Help

The sound of the DAC itself is superb, this alone can not create any issue like you describe.

I am running the DAC via Accu E-600 and B&W 803D3. Really no issues and sound even slightly better
compared to the Accu DAC module DAC-40.

Maybe you have different listening habits (based on former devices or whatever) and get now
the signal presented like it really is ... or there is another issue.

I think it will be definitively worth to check the settings and maybe to reset them to default.

Maybe a phase issue ? Check:

I/O -> Main Output 1/2 -> Settings
Width: 1.0
M/S Proc: OFF
Phase Invert: OFF
Crossfeed: OFF

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks. I will check everything. I have the feeling that the higher end consumer DACs are already tone adjusted for what they believe is the best average sound for most music and, as you said, the unaltered signal may be foreign to me. It may even be room correction. I have also read from other audiophile types that the flat sound is a bit thin compared to other DACs, so they may have experienced the same. With respect to equalizing, from what I understand there is no degradation of the signal, so other than a new perspective I probably should not too concerned. The reality is that once tone adjusted, it sounds fantastic.

Make sure the coax cable is completely plugged in. Bend coax cables or coax cables running along power cables can cause such issues.
I'd recommend you try USB from a computer via ASIO and see how that sounds.
If the RME sounds thin or steely there's something wrong, most likely with some connections.

Good call. I removed and replaced the cables and then did a factory reset for good measure. The sound was night and day. Not sure exactly what the problem was, but unit sounds excellent. I still do need to adjust the EQ to accommodate my particular listening sensitivities and environment, and choose wisely on the digital cable. My output options from my streaming server are Coax or Optical. Do you recommend either of these over the other when connected to the RME DAC?

With optical you cant get any issues with any potential ground loop issues / hum and TOSLINK cables allow you up to 15m.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Cool it works, yes it sounds very good.
The coax rca plug needs to good fit. It's important that the plug covers the rca jack completely. I don't think the coax cables themselves make a difference as long as it's a good one. I'm using Sommercable Vector, there are plenty of alternatives of course.
I've never used toslink and usually go for coax or USB, which is excellent with the ADI 2.

Sound wise no difference and you have galvanic isolation.