Topic: Digiface DANTE - Cat5 Question

Am pleased to have another RME device as part of the studio, this time its the new DANTE device. Fantastic as usual, robust and flexible.

I have searched through the manual but can find my answer to what the four Cat5 connections are for? All other DANTE devices we use have a primary / secondary pair. But the DigiFace DANTE has two for each network. Are these just for convenience, which means there must be a small hub inside before the Brooklyn II?

Cheers, tdc

Re: Digiface DANTE - Cat5 Question

Exactly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias.

I'm a bit confused to what the second ports for on each side are for.  In the manual it says:

The Digiface Dante is basically a USB audio interface. The Dante Controller software needs a
network port to communicate with the Dante network. The standard solution would have been to
plug a network cable from the computer's network port into one of the four ports of the Digiface
Dante - which makes you loose two network ports!

Therefore the Digiface Dante also includes the functionality of a USB Ethernet adapter, whose
driver is installed together with the MADIface series one. This device can be used directly for
the Dante Controller. No cable needed, two network ports stay free.

On macOS it doesn't show up as a network device, and a hub wouldn't provide this kind of functionality said in the manual.

Which driver did you use? And which firmware for the DF Dante?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

"macOS Sierra and up driver for Fireface UFX / UFX+ / UFX II, 802, UCX, UC, Babyface, Babyface Pro, MADIface XT/USB/Pro, Digiface USB/Dante/AVB, version 3.16."  I think it is 1.0 on firmware if I'm looking in the right spot.  macOS 10.14.6

Should it have shown up as a network device?  I'm still not sure what the second ports are for.

That driver includes a readme with information about the necessary firmware version. Most probably you haven't updated and the DF Dante now doesn't work correctly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME