51 (edited by ramses 2019-06-04 06:10:55)

Re: ADI-2 Pro and power supply upgrades

Basken wrote:

.. i am absolutely mesmerized by this discussion!

We are talking about a device, that performs at the very top of everything available! Such an accomplishment takes tremendous engineering skill and effort! Yet, people on this forum are suggesting that injecting usb-gadgets, fancy PSUs and such into the signal-chain will improve performance in very obvious ways - and at the same time rejecting that it can be measured by anything but human ears ..

The ADI-2 Pro is no cheap item, so the idea that (in this particular discussion) a different PSU would have made it even better, is insulting in a vast number of ways. Are the RME design-crew incompetent when it comes to PSU design? Did they know, but chose to save a few bucks and compromise the final product?

Actually - why didn't RME just lurk every major audiophile forum, and copy every single product that made the sound-stage a bit wider, deeper, and more 3D, since we are already dealing with an expensive product?

I wonder why ... and you should be doing the same!

Very well said, many thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It is interesting, however, to see people who are not bothered to make a test to express a positive or negative view. Suppose they are listening to the measurements and are satisfied with the sound  of the measurements ,.....I mean.

53 (edited by ramses 2019-06-04 07:37:06)

nearhos wrote:

It is interesting, however, to see people who are not bothered to make a test to express a positive or negative view. Suppose they are listening to the measurements and are satisfied with the sound  of the measurements ,.....I mean.

I see nothing interesting, the hole thread was simply Royal PITA because it was based on simply dreams/illusions, improper testing and led to unfruitful discussions. And only because somebody was unable to accept advice from others and to rethink and refine his testing method.

Basken brought it IMHO to the point and posted something which I would regard as a nice "final word" on it, that I can only underpin twice: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 61#p141861

And there is really not much more to say about it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

+1

Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC FS > Nord Three 1ET400A ST > Focal Aria 936

55 (edited by MagnusH 2019-06-04 12:19:11)

I am getting tired of this discussion and arguing with people who haven't even tried what I suggest. And no, a 10khz sinewave test tone cannot in any way decide sound quality or differentiate between power supplies. Amir does a good job, but his one shortcoming is that he puts = between good test values and good sound quality.

To others: try it and decide yourself. The battery I use costs about €60 so it’s not a very expensive tweak (12V 17Ah, lasts around 20 hours so charge when you sleep). Make sure its sealed though, and made for indoor use.

56 (edited by ramses 2019-06-04 13:47:45)

The device is already top notch and competes extremely well in the market of top devices.

If there should something be missing in terms of sound or measuring results, then you can be sure that somebody would have discovered it already.

And I repeat, it makes no sense to try something out which is based on flawed test methodology.

Perform more professional blind tests to have a solid base for discussion and maybe we will all find out that all this discussion was completely unnecessary.

But this needs to come from you, because you started claiming something based on flawed tests.

MagnusH is listening to batteries, can easily hear the difference between 2 XLR cables, is convinced that XLR copper cables can correct bright speakers (my favourite), would like a totally audiophool's option of "jitter measurement" to "optimize sound quality", is convincend that glass optical fibers have a better sound than the one in plastic because audible jitters... Yes, he can hear the difference between a good or a bad Toslink cable!!! And we are not talking about clics or pops here, but classic audiophool's SQ bulshit ("smears background, loses details") with a digital cable, of course...

So now the sound quality of battery/PSU...

Despite of MC/RME answer about batteries that won't enhance SQ AT ALL (and all our posts...) :

MC wrote:

The point here is that a slight 'hum & buzz' is just that, and not some mysterious 'sound' change or possible improvement (glare, stage width, depth, separation - the usual audiophool stuff up to the all explaining jitter).

he still repeats his nonsense audiophool's BS...
He have more faith in his ears than in scientific facts... He forgot that everything you can hear you can measure, and the opposite is not true...
Maybe it's time to ignore him... Here and elsewhere...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

58 (edited by ramses 2019-06-04 13:51:09)

+1  he misuses our time and patience

MagnusH wrote:

I am getting tired of this discussion

Me too. Now that everyone has made his point let's move on.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME