Topic: Question about new ADI-2 FS

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum.  I have an ADI-2 PRO (non-FS version).  I am interested in adding additional AD/DA channels via the new ADI2-FS when it is released. I did not see any converter latency specs in the ADI2-FS manual.  Will they be identical to the ADI-2 PRO?   I record a lot of small ensembles with multiple microphones on the same source and am hoping to avoid aligning tracks post recording. 

Also, since my ADI2-PRO does not have FS clocking, will there by any performance improvement by clocking it to an ADI2-FS?

Re: Question about new ADI-2 FS

> I am interested in adding additional AD/DA channels via the new ADI2-FS when it is released.

To the ADI-2 Pro ? So you talk about 1 device / 2 channels more ?

Then the signal flow would be like this:

Case A: Micro1 - Preamp ------------------------------------------------------+ Analog 1 IN - ADI-2 Pro
Case A: Micro2 - Preamp ------------------------------------------------------+ Analog 2 IN - ADI-2 Pro
Case B: Micro3 - Preamp -----+ Analog1 IN - ADI-2 FS - ADAT OUT ----+ ADAT      IN - ADI-2 Pro
Case B: Micro4 - Preamp -----+ Analog2 IN - ADI-2 FS - ADAT OUT ----+ ADAT      IN - ADI-2 Pro

Case A: you would have @44.1 kHz AD converter latency of 0.11 ms according to the manual.
Case B: you have the AD conversion only at the ADI-2 FS via ADAT the signal is already digital.

Assumption 1: to be confirmed by RME: potentially same A/D converter, so I would guess also 0.11ms.
Assumption 2: a little bit more on top because of the additional transfer via ADAT, but I would guess this is not much.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you Ramses.  Yes, assumptions 1&2 are what I seek to confirm.  Your diagram is how I intend to use it (although I may choose AES over spdif).

First the latency depends on the used filters. The ADI-2 FS uses SD Sharp for AD (and DA), and the same chip(s), so the latency will be nearly identical if you set the same filters on the ADI-2 Pro.

Second the additional path to digital out and back in will add a few samples for digital buffering. I just measured it via USB, feeding both units the same analog signal:

Single Speed: 44.1 kHz - 52 us = 2 samples
Double Speed: 96 kHz - 23 us = 2 samples
Quad Speed: 192 kHz - 38 us = 7 samples

I don't think such a miniscule delay needs any kind of interaction when talking about microphone recordings. Just make sure the main stereo mics (or the ones that relate to a main signal) are on the same unit.

For example setting the ADI's AD filter to Sharp instead will cause 16 samples difference in single speed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you, this is very helpful.  What do you think about clocking a non-FS PRO to an ADI2-FS.  Any benefit or should I leave the pro as master?

Zero difference. But using the Pro as master and the FS as SPDIF clock slave provides easiest operation on sample rate changes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME