Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

MacOS 10.14.4 seems to have fixed the issue with my USB2.0 interface. I hope it has resolved the matter with the RME interfaces as well. Thanks to everyone on this forum, and to RME for staying on top of this issue.

Abid Hussain, AKA Nebulae
Ableton Certified Trainer

202 (edited by Timur Born 2019-03-26 10:49:09)

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Ha, Abid is in da house! wink

Hopefully this will finally fix Mojave issues for good. On the other hand I found this post on the Macrumors forum:

"Just upgraded. iMac won’t make a sound now. Something is wrong. "

So time will tell...

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Who’s going first?

www.yila.co.uk

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Timur Born wrote:

Ha, Abid is in da house! wink

Hopefully this will finally fix Mojave issues for good. On the other hand I found this post on the Macrumors forum:

"Just upgraded. iMac won’t make a sound now. Something is wrong. "

So time will tell...

Hello old friend! smile

Abid Hussain, AKA Nebulae
Ableton Certified Trainer

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Personally I am waiting for April to arrive to see if any new Macbooks will come out. So currently I unfortunately cannot test Mojave myself.

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

I've just done the OSX 10.14.4 update to my 2018 Mac Mini (3.2GHz i7 / 32GB) and early days but it seems to be sorted, fingers crossed! On first try I got an audio dropout on my UCX within a minute and my heart sank but then I tried ticking the 'Short Safety Offset' in Fireface USB Settings. It seems to have worked on initial testing. Can anyone else confirm about that box, whether it needs to be ticked or not?

Before updating OSX I was getting all sorts of problems, even using the Caldigit hub suggested earlier in this thread. Audio dropouts in playback but the recorded audio was unusable, full of crackles and weird static. I've basically had an unusable computer for 3 months and spent so much time trawling the internet for answers. However, they are really capable machines these Mac Minis, aside from the obvious USB connectivity issues, so hopefully this has sorted it out. 

Good work from RME, this must've been a nightmare for you guys and I appreciate the Customer Support!

207 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2019-03-27 06:02:49)

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

So, now that MacOS 10.14.4 seems to have fixed the issue with USB and TB3 hub no longer needed, what would be the best 'short safety offset' setting? Disabled (default) or enabled?

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

donpepperoni wrote:

I've just done the OSX 10.14.4 update to my 2018 Mac Mini (3.2GHz i7 / 32GB) and early days but it seems to be sorted, fingers crossed! On first try I got an audio dropout on my UCX within a minute and my heart sank but then I tried ticking the 'Short Safety Offset' in Fireface USB Settings. It seems to have worked on initial testing. Can anyone else confirm about that box, whether it needs to be ticked or not?

Before updating OSX I was getting all sorts of problems, even using the Caldigit hub suggested earlier in this thread. Audio dropouts in playback but the recorded audio was unusable, full of crackles and weird static. I've basically had an unusable computer for 3 months and spent so much time trawling the internet for answers. However, they are really capable machines these Mac Minis, aside from the obvious USB connectivity issues, so hopefully this has sorted it out. 

Good work from RME, this must've been a nightmare for you guys and I appreciate the Customer Support!

Yeh what does this tick box do?

www.yila.co.uk

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

iamyila wrote:

Yeh what does this tick box do?

I recall there was something written in the notes of the latest driver installer. I don't have in front of me now for the exact quote but the box was introduced specifically for the 2018 T2 Macs (maybe you know this?).

Just, to me it wasn't clear in the notes exactly what the box does and whether to tick it or not, just wondered? smile

210 (edited by iamyila 2019-03-27 13:04:11)

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Ok I’ve no dropouts since updating

And seem to have less cpu usage

Also when I render in real-time in Ableton I always got a cpu dropout at the start without fail, this has also gone

And I have the box unticked in the driver, whatever it’s for!

www.yila.co.uk

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

iamyila wrote:

Ok I’ve no dropouts since updating

And seem to have less cpu usage

Also when I render in real-time in Ableton I always got a cpu dropout at the start without fail, this has also gone

And I have the box unticked in the driver, whatever it’s for!

That's really strange, I was getting dropouts with the box unticked.... I wouldn't say I've given the computer a good enough workout to say my issues are gone although it hasn't misbehaved yet with the box ticked....

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Situation is fixed here as well. Using a Mac Mini 2018 with Mojave 10.14.4 and a Fireface 802. No dropouts all day. Our mastering engineer in the studio is using the same setup as mine, and he has no dropouts all day as well.

Thanks to RME for trying to make the situation less obstructive while Apple worked on the issue!

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

We have also experienced no dropouts via USB 2.0 in several days of use with genuine Apple adapters.  This goes for class compliant performance with the ADI-2 Pro as well as using RME drivers.

Yesterday we recorded one channel at 44.1/24 through a MADIface Pro and had no problems for half an hour buffering 64 samples.  We left the safety offset box in Fireface USB Settings unticked as this would seem to default to a larger internal buffer, at the expense of increased latency?

In any case, an official statement from RME about whether the tick box is necessary under 10.14.4 would be appreciated, thanks!

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

214

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

There can be no general recommendation. Use what works for you. The shorter setting's advantage in latency is small and more kind of a marketing thing, as you will notice when you try it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

215 (edited by dbrenner 2019-03-30 20:36:49)

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

I have a brand new 2018 i7 3.2 gHz Mac Mini I'm testing, and I bought the recommended CalDigit TB3 hub.

Has anyone here gotten a Babyface to power up via the USB 2.0 port on the CalDigit hub? Mine will not power up via this port (I thought this was true even while connected to power directly as well, but it turns out I forgot that I don't even have a power supply for the Babyface as it isn't provided by default, and it's been many years since I checked). The USB 3.0 port seems to work. Is this normal / can someone please confirm how they're using the USB 2.0 Bus via the CalDigit hub?

Thanks.

EDIT: it seems like perhaps this hub isn't even necessary anymore. Can anyone confirm?

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Hello

This whole thread is about confirming that USB now seems to work on the Mac mini, well for me anyway for audio

Although I had some power issues with my Ableton Push and flickering lights on the USB ports of the mini so maybe there still lies a power problem.

www.yila.co.uk

217 (edited by marcus.schuler 2019-04-05 14:11:19)

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Hi,

I bought a new MacPro in 2018, paid over $ 8000.- for it.
The distorted audio drove me crazy in the last couple of months because I'm a radio journalist and have to work every day with my audio editing software and my rme babyface.

Since I use this cheap hub they seem to be gone (although just started to use it since yesterday).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788 … &psc=1

Best

Marcus

218

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

That hub doesn't help at all. 10.14.4 does.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

219 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2019-04-05 04:35:50)

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

10.14.4 seems to fix some issues...mostly...but for me, I'm still having issues such as: 1. The MBP does not go to sleep properly and it drains battery when the Babyface Pro is left connected; 2. The MBP sometimes crash when in sleep mode and the Babyface Pro is connected. Those things happen only with Babyface Pro, other USB devices don't show this behavior.

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

MC wrote:

That hub doesn't help at all. 10.14.4 does.

Doch - tut es.

I have installed 10.14.4 the day it came out. There was no change in my DAW noticable. But as soon I switched from plugin in the babyface on the backside of my iMac Pro 2018 to the front side (the hub) the distortion has vanished.

I'm editing ten hours a day and I can tell the difference!

221

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Sorry, but you confuse readers by writing 'MacPro' while your are using an iMac Pro  - and might be the only one in all our threads. This is a Xeon based server system that might work totally different to everything that we have discussed here. Also 'distortion' was not the problem anymore since December, but dropouts and clicks from time to time. If the iMac Pro 2018 needs a USB hub to work correctly even with 10.14.4 then this is a different issue than what this thread is about.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Sorry. Du hast recht. Habe diesen feinen Unterschied nicht beachtet.

223 (edited by huub.lelieveld 2019-04-09 20:00:16)

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Running 10.14.4 (and also 10.14.5 beta1) on a macbook touchbar 15" :
Audio is fine, all is well but.. When running audio live through my madiface USB (through liveprofessor), with basically all buffersizes  CPU usage is quite low and stable.
What does happen however; when I have more than say 10 audiochannels running through liveprofessor, I get usb dropouts (LP reports "show dropouts reported by sound device", I also hear these as tiny drop outs)
When I run at 128 samples with 6 channels running through LP, all stays stable forever it seems.
CPU stays low all the time, and with only 6 channels I can safely add more plugins and have higher CPU usage without dropouts.
So it's not a CPU thing it seems.

Anyone a clue?

Thanks

Huub

(edit: USB is via USB-C, not PCIe via thunderbolt)

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

I just noticed I get dropbouts whenever the OS does something, just now the 'updates available' dialogue came up and cause a brief dropout, Don't know how to turn this off, turned everything else off in the OS.

www.yila.co.uk

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

iamyila wrote:

I just noticed I get dropbouts whenever the OS does something, just now the 'updates available' dialogue came up and cause a brief dropout, Don't know how to turn this off, turned everything else off in the OS.

Out of interest what buffer size and software do you use?

We’ve been pretty cavalier with leaving on WiFi, iCloud etc and 10.14.4 + RME’s latest driver is behaving very reliably eg 16 channels at 96/24 on Reaper

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

I was at 1024 when this happened, but I’ve also been getting good performance at 64 since 10.14.14-

I’ve got 32 channels running though, maybe that’s the difference?

Also when bouncing in ableton in real-time (using external gear) I’m still getting the odd dropout, before I got one every time without fail and now it’s like 10% of the time I get on or two dropouts per bounce.

www.yila.co.uk

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

I don't know how tu upload an image on this forum, but I can assure you that I still have audio dropouts with Mohave 10.14.5 and RME MadiFace USB, with mac mini 2018.

I am using a CalDigit Thunderbolt dock, but still have the issue.

It happens between 2 to six times an hour.

The message from the Apple console is : Kernel audioEngine->getState() =! kIOAudioEnginePaused

And it corresponds to the times where i loose audio.

Looks like the 10.14.4 or 10.14.5 patch is of no use...

MBP 2015, i7 Quad Core, 16gigs RAM,
FF800 and UAD Apollo Twin Thunderbolt

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

lapieuvre wrote:

I don't know how tu upload an image on this forum, but I can assure you that I still have audio dropouts with Mohave 10.14.5 and RME MadiFace USB, with mac mini 2018.

I am using a CalDigit Thunderbolt dock, but still have the issue.

It happens between 2 to six times an hour.

The message from the Apple console is : Kernel audioEngine->getState() =! kIOAudioEnginePaused

And it corresponds to the times where i loose audio.

Looks like the 10.14.4 or 10.14.5 patch is of no use...

Which DAW software are you using?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Ableton Live 10.1

MBP 2015, i7 Quad Core, 16gigs RAM,
FF800 and UAD Apollo Twin Thunderbolt

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

lapieuvre wrote:

Ableton Live 10.1

I wonder if this is the weak link? I've read multiple reports of poor performance in Ableton on here and Gearslutz, regardless of which hardware is being used.

Have you scoured the Ableton forum for similar reports?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

mjfe87 wrote:
lapieuvre wrote:

Ableton Live 10.1

I wonder if this is the weak link? I've read multiple reports of poor performance in Ableton on here and Gearslutz, regardless of which hardware is being used.

Have you scoured the Ableton forum for similar reports?

No, but I never had any issues like this with previous OS...

And how would you explain the Kernel's "audioEngine->getState() =! kIOAudioEnginePaused" message?

MBP 2015, i7 Quad Core, 16gigs RAM,
FF800 and UAD Apollo Twin Thunderbolt

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

I’m not an expert I’m afraid, you’d need to ask Ableton about Console messages.

Have you tested other audio interfaces? Is it specific to USB 2, 3...or? Etc

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

I think it is specific to USB 2 interfaces.

MBP 2015, i7 Quad Core, 16gigs RAM,
FF800 and UAD Apollo Twin Thunderbolt

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

I have to do a mea culpa here... I had a second USB Audio interface plugged in the computer, an iConnectivityAudio4+.

I disconnected it, and didn't have a single dropout for an hour.  I'll keep testing next week, but Im sure Mojave doesn't like to have 2 audio interfaces connected ...

MBP 2015, i7 Quad Core, 16gigs RAM,
FF800 and UAD Apollo Twin Thunderbolt