Topic: USB vs AES DAC

Hi RME users,

I have an ADI2 connected to a raydat pci express using AES XLR. I mainly use the ADI as converter as the raydat is really better in terms of latency etc.

I have a question regarding the conversion from the AES Input  of the ADI 2 pro, is the quality of the DAC the same as the USB input ? When I switch from the raydat to the ADI I can notice a difference in the highs and stereo. I can't switch quickly as I need to unplug USB to switch to AES input but I think there is a difference. Can the clock be the source of difference ? I use the ADI to go to my analog gear so quality is a concern at this stage.

Thank you.

Re: USB vs AES DAC

Set the ADI to DAC mode, then you can switch the source in the ADI's menu without recabling.

Sound is the same. If there is a difference then it happens inside your computer - Player settings, TotalMix settings etc.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

SIf there is a difference then it happens inside your computer - Player settings, TotalMix settings etc.

Can this happen even if the data is bit perfect?

entertainme wrote:
MC wrote:

SIf there is a difference then it happens inside your computer - Player settings, TotalMix settings etc.

Can this happen even if the data is bit perfect?

If the player or the OS mixer is modifying the signal, it is not "bit perfect" anymore.
For instance, on my Mac, if the volume is modified in iTunes, the bit perfect test fails.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables