Topic: Digiface --> Sonnet Echo Expresscard Windows 10 not working?

Hi there,

First let me thank you for having had no trouble in the >20 years of using RME! Thanks for that. One of the most reliable factors in my studio actually... smile

Now, I wanted to upgrade my computer from a Macbook pro 2007 with Expresscard slot to a Mac Mini 2018.
Since I read that the Sonnet Echo Expresscard is compatible with the TB2-->TB3 converter cable, and also Win10 compatible I think it should work.
But, it does not as far as I can see.

I can't get Totalmix or the driver properties to show up. I have installed the latest driver, all went well. Rebooted, but no sign of the Digiface.

The digiface Host error light is off (when I disconnect the card from the Sonnet, it turns on blinking again). So it got at least power I think.

Since Win10 is quite new to me, I might do something wrong.

- I lookup to see if I could find the Sonnet in my device manager: can't find it. But perhaps it is transparent to the system? I also did not had to install a driver for it as it seems.

I thus cannot see if its a Sonnet or RME issue, or just the combination of those two.
Hope you can help me a little bit. Thanks...!

Jan

2 (edited by janjunior 2019-06-26 12:16:16)

Re: Digiface --> Sonnet Echo Expresscard Windows 10 not working?

OK A little update since I just called the RME support line.
I have tried the thing on my other laptop with native TB2 port. I don't have windows running on that machine but tested it in Mojave: it worked immediately.
Now I have booted on my Mac mini 2018 to MacOS Mojave and installed the driver, connected it via the TB2-->TB3 converter (Apple): not working, although as it seems, it can see the Sonnet as it turns out on the system properties. Also it sees an upstream card... Hm.
If I try to start HDSPe settings, it just quits immediate.

I just ordered a Starch TB2 to TB3 adapter, since Mathias used that (at least so I noticed in this thread: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 7#p138667)
Hopefully that's the issue here that the Apple TB3 to TB2 thing is not working.......

Anyone any comments on this so far? smile

Are you sure this isn't just a simple 'allow' problem as usual under Sierra and up? Did you check Privacy settings?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by janjunior 2019-06-26 12:47:22)

For Windows, I don't know about this privacy thing. Is that in issue there as well?
In Mojave, I did add 'HDSPe Settings' and Totalmix to the allowed applications in the privacy settings manually.

Did I do this correctly?

https://pasteboard.co/Ilc81Jz.png

And here the System info:
https://imgur.com/OYmIZZn

Too much Apple mentioned, I overlooked Windows 10. There is one more thing that I  mentioned here: you might have to go into the Device Manager and choose Action - Scan for hardware changes. Only then I will see the ExpressCard on my computer. It doesn't show up automatically.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah I hope so... I don't have another clue otherwise. Since it doesn't turn up the right way in Mojave nor in Win10.

Just for the record, if I add Totalmix and HDSPe Settings to the list in System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> Privacy tab --> Accessibility, is this the right way? I didn't got an Allow button during installation.
Just to make sure its the Apple adapter and not a software / OS issue in Mojave now (so I have to situations to check the hardware to)

7 (edited by janjunior 2019-06-26 13:22:01)

OK wow. It shows up..!
At least in Windows 10. Mojave I don't know yet. Perhaps that is the issue of the privacy settings (and thus not loading the kext during booting or whatsoever. More on that later).

For now, this is what I did:

I booted again to Windows 10, opened device manager, right click on my computer --> scan for new devices (just as Mathias mentioned). It did find the RME and also said it was installed correctly. No Totalmix or settings picto in the systray yet so I right clicked on the RME and click 'Update driver' and 'Search online'. It did find something (probably the locally installed driver).
Then still no picto's.
I just ran the rmeinstaller.exe again. This now gave more response as it was copying files I didn't see earlier on and also it asked for a reboot, which it didn't do before.
After rebooting, I got the picto's in my systray. Yay!

But, when clicked: no response. Reboot: no reponse.

In devicemanager: no RME.
I did: scan for new devices and there it was, and the settings and totalmix came up.

Strange behaviour if you ask me, but for now Im happy. Im going to see how stable it is.

Edit:
After rebooting, the device dissapeared again in my device manager. Rescanning did the trick.
Probably has something to do with the Sonnet. I installed their 'Device Manager Rescan (Windows) 1.0' which should prevent this kind of behaviour but I will try that again. At least I can continue installing my DAW etc.

The systray stuff is only launched on boot, not later, so all as expected. The scan has to be done after every reboot. I don't know who is to blame for that.

BTW, current driver (released today) is 4.29.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME