Topic: Do i even need my HDSP 9652?

My computer specs:
CPU: Xeon E5 2670 x2 (Dual CPU)
Motherboard: Asrock EPC602
Memory (RAM): Samsung 1366 8GB x 8 ECC REG (64GB Total)
GPU: EVGA SC GTX 1070
PSU: Seasonic 660
Soundcard: RME HDSP 9652
DAC: FIIO POS ($30)
Headphones: AKG K702
Headphone AMP: FIIO E09K
Studio Monitors: Mackie MR8s
Second Soundcard: Soundblaster POS from 2011 (Used for Discord for online work, Mic/headset) (Has Asio Drivers)

Software
Studio One 4
FL Studio (Video Render Only)
Samples: Loopcloud, Splice

I just make instrumentals from my above hardware from software or samples. I have no need at all for inputs, do i even need this card?

The more i think about it, what is the soundcard even doing? Doesn't it just offload my workload to my CPUs anyway? I hope someone could help me in testing if the soundcard is even worth using as i could upgrade to a better CPU and Motherboard as i been keeping this setup because it's legacy PCI and won't use a riser/adapter card.

I just can't think of a test i could do to see if i would notice any deference in CPU spikes are what. I just don't know what to look for.
After making tracks, mixing, artwork, graphic design, uploading YouTube / Facebook & IG and tagging to all the social media site. I just won't try to think of how to test this, as i really don't understand what a soundcard even does. I understand Asio just means Audio Stream In and Out (i think) but that is where it ends.

If someone can help me come up with a test i could do to check the RME card vs my soundblaster or somethinge else, please leave a message. I would love to sell this card and get on to some upgrading already.

2 CPUs is not fun. Very hot becuase of how their placed on the motherboard and the case and motherboard are huge. I would rather have a 5Gz OCed CPU with massive SSDs over more RAM.

Thanks again, sorry for the wall of text.

Re: Do i even need my HDSP 9652?

If you produce "in the box" .. with VSTs etc .. then you much likely only require analog outputs for phones and speakers.
Maybe MIDI if you need to connect a MIDI master keyboard.

The purpose of a recording interface with ASIO driver is, that the Windows Sound systems is entirely bypassed to perfectly avoid degradation of an audio signal.
The ASIO driver is highly optimized for the particular HW to ensure quality / stability and least possible CPU load.
You get software mixer with flexibilities in routing and other capabilities which could not be delivered by the windows mixer at all.

Using a soundcard would be a step back and make no sense.

Some people use PCI/PCIe adapter to still drive their old PCI cards in more modern mainboards, search the forum for that.

A soundcard in addition might be handy if you want/need to connect computer headsets by cable. Recording interfaces do not provide the lower phantom power which is needed by them and headsets supporting 48V phantom power are very expensive, maybe not worth. I personally am using a bluetooth headset to avoid having to add a soundcard to my system. General recommendations for DAWs are to disable the internal soundcard of a computer.

I would stick to an RME recording interface because of the quality and stability of i/o ports, lower latencies, TotalMixFX (and i.e. its routing capabilities).

Its fully up to you whether you want to keep this card or to use a more modern one.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Do i even need my HDSP 9652?

IMHO...Unless you are recording from an outside audio source like a Mic or instruments like guitar, you do not need this card. I used FL Studio in the box for years with only a Soundblaster, and then an Audigy. However I now record guitars etc. and love my HDSP 9652, which I bought used for a song. If you do not intend on  recording external audio sources, perhaps you should sell your card and invest the cash in nicer speakers or more RAM and PC hardware.