Topic: AES into Multiface (1 or 2)

Hi,

I'd like to take the AES output from an Allen & Heath mixer, into my Multiface 1 or 2 units.

The Multiface 2 tech info, says that it's AES compatible. Does that mean it can cope with AES-style impedance?

Do I just need a converter cable, or an actual AES to SPDIF converter?

Thanks!

Re: AES into Multiface (1 or 2)

All the info is in the manual...page 38/39...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

All the info is in the manual...page 38/39...

The manual doesn't explicitly mention impedance though.

..but we collectively reckon that the input will cope regardless, then I could give it a try.

The small impedance difference between AES and SPDIF is of no practical meaning.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The small impedance difference between AES and SPDIF is of no practical meaning.

I’d like to solder some RCA to XLR cables for SPDIF/AES conversion between various RME interfaces. Are there cable length limitations in either direction?

Secondly is it possible to convert from optical SPDIF to AES?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

mjfe87 wrote:

I’d like to solder some RCA to XLR cables for SPDIF/AES conversion between various RME interfaces. Are there cable length limitations in either direction?

What lengths do you want to use?

mjfe87 wrote:

Secondly is it possible to convert from optical SPDIF to AES?

There exist small converter boxes doing that for SPDIF, should be available for AES as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
mjfe87 wrote:

What lengths do you want to use?

What’s the limit? They’ll be short ‘adapter’ cables but ultimately for use as digital feeds for headphone monitoring so probably <30m

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

If the signal path is SPDIF output to XLR input then I would recommend to use a high quality cable with low capacitance, like the Mogami 2964, and solder the XLR at the end of that cable. Using a mic cable for that kind of length might damp/decrease the SPDIF output too much for the AES receiver to properly read the signal.

There is no fixed limit. Various RME interfaces use various SPDIF coaxial output stages, and all cables are different. Just make sure to activate 'Pro' channel status as that will raise the carrier's output voltage.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME