Topic: Shall I go with ADI-2 PRO or ADI-2 PRO FS

Planning to use both DAC AND ADC for high quality final master output conversion. Shall I go with ADI-2 PRO or ADI-2 PRO FS?

Re: Shall I go with ADI-2 PRO or ADI-2 PRO FS

The ADI-2 Pro FS is the updated version of the ADI-2 Pro. It has updated clock technology. The only reason to get the older version is if it costs less money.

Is it possible to hear the difference or how the AD-2 PRO quality is affected ?

4 (edited by ramses 2019-07-02 19:28:06)

There is a little difference in measurements, but this should not be audible.
If you want to be sure get both and try with your own ears (blind test strongly recommended).

Could be tricky though - depending on your gear / setup - to drive two in parallel and to enable for quick A/B tests.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by hpw 2019-07-03 09:00:26)

pappantv wrote:

Is it possible to hear the difference or how the AD-2 PRO quality is affected ?

For measurement purpose, the ADI-2 pro (FS) is a clear winner, while you are able to configure the DAC output asymmetric or symmetric to the front jacks and using TWO DAC's.

This means, better SNR & best channel separation as it get's. The ADI-2 DAC comes with one DAC... big_smile

Hp

In my usage  ADC is critical. So minor improvement in DAC wont hurt me.
By the way I can see both input and output is having balanced connectors. What you mean by asym sym?

With very good equipment (speakers, amps, room treatment etc.) you can easily hear the improvements of the PRO FS over the PRO (blind tests with several customers).

If you can save a substantial amount of money, go for a PRO, otherwise always an ADI-2 PRO FS.

Are they not identical except for the FS part? which is an improvement to the clocking, but......clocking was already more then excellent.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

+1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

This is something I wondered as well. I could have the opportunity to listen to both. I ordered what I believed to be a FS unit for $1489 from a vendor through Google express. I thought I would want the FS model but when I questioned the vendor they were not able to confirm either definitively.

So I ordered a FS unit from Sweetwater a vendor I know I can trust, paying the standard $1999. So the 1st order should have been delivered on Monday I had planned to return it unopened and FedEx  totally screw the order up and I don't even know where it is. The vendor said I can either wait and see when it arrives or get a refund. The one from Sweetwater should have come today but FedEx said no one was home. Which was not true they never came said my work from home wife. So it's possible both could be delivered Friday.

I also bought mine from Sweetwater. I have tried both the the FS and the non-FS (a friend's unit) simultaneously using two laptops manually sync'd and switching between two inputs on my preamp, and honestly I could not tell the difference in an ABX test.
I did do a full set of bench tests and the FS does measure a bit better due to what looks like a reduction to close in phase noise, but even knowing that we could not hear it. My system is pretty resolving- a benchmark AHB2 amp and electrostatic loudspeakers/subwoofer or Sennheiser HD800s/ STAX SR-L700 with energizer, and we used 96/24kHz music files from a variety of sources. The listening room has acoustic treatments and has been set up using the XTX room analyzer II PRO, and I prefer the sound of the loudspeakers to the headphones, and it's not even close...
Nevertheless, I am glad that I purchased the FS and Sweetwater has been excellent both in this purchase and prior ones, and their after sales support is exemplary.

I am curious how the FS clock improves the unit? There must be something is it a matter of how it syncs up with other devices, few glitches?

13 (edited by Curt962 2019-07-05 14:37:15)

wynpalmer wrote:

I also bought mine from Sweetwater. I have tried both the the FS and the non-FS (a friend's unit) simultaneously using two laptops manually sync'd and switching between two inputs on my preamp, and honestly I could not tell the difference in an ABX test.
I did do a full set of bench tests and the FS does measure a bit better due to what looks like a reduction to close in phase noise, but even knowing that we could not hear it. My system is pretty resolving- a benchmark AHB2 amp and electrostatic loudspeakers/subwoofer or Sennheiser HD800s/ STAX SR-L700 with energizer, and we used 96/24kHz music files from a variety of sources. The listening room has acoustic treatments and has been set up using the XTX room analyzer II PRO, and I prefer the sound of the loudspeakers to the headphones, and it's not even close...
Nevertheless, I am glad that I purchased the FS and Sweetwater has been excellent both in this purchase and prior ones, and their after sales support is exemplary.

*Sweetwater.  What an Outstanding Purchase Experience on my end also!

HOW they were able to virtually ROCKET my RME to me during the Christmas Holiday is beyond me.    Post Sale Follow-Up was most Noteworthy!!

Curt

*Ghost Rider:  It is probably best for RME to address your Question directly.   Perhaps MC (RME) will pop in...

Existing Units are already Clocking Internally at 1Ghz.    What could lay beyond that Extreme Accuracy is beyond my abilities.   

Trust me...You WANT the ADI-2 Pro!  smile

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

14 (edited by Curt962 2019-07-05 18:46:06)

Ghost Rider...

Think about it.  Every time the Clock "Ticks" a BILLION Femtoseconds have elapsed!

Current RME Devices are timed to ONE BILLIONTH  of that!  One Femtosecond!

Wow Man.  We want more??  How does that translate into Audible improvement in any meaningful way?   

Pull the Trigger Ghost!!  The "Pro" will easilyTrounce anything you've ever heard!

All the Best

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Ghost Rider...

Think about it.  Every time the Clock "Ticks" a BILLION Femtoseconds have elapsed!

Current RME Devices are timed to ONE BILLIONTH  of that!  One Femtosecond!

Wow Man.  We want more??  How does that translate into Audible improvement in any meaningful way?   

Pull the Trigger Ghost!!  The "Pro" will easilyTrounce anything you've ever heard!

All the Best

Curt

I'm sure that RME will correct me if I'm wrong, but as a relatively recently retired designer of "femtosecond" clocks for communications/fibre optic links that were in the c. 100fs region I suspect that what they mean is actually sub ps not sub fs.
The SINAD of the RME units don't seem to have appreciably changed with the release of the fs version (again, please correct me if I'm wrong) and arguably, from an audio perspective, that's all the matters, and maybe not even that so much with SINADs greater than 110dB. Nevertheless, their goal of constant improvement in their products is extremely laudible.

Wynpalmer,

Nice Comments, and your expert opinions are always Welcome here in this Forum.  Welcome Aboard!!

RME doesn't Sleep.  Their RELENTLESS pursuit of Excellence is...Amazing.

We, the Customers are the direct beneficiaries of their un-wavering efforts. 

Curt

Hi All,

Thanks to all comments. Just to avoid confusion I got my ADI 2 PRO FS version.
Connected it to my Laptop. Connected my Focal Elear headphones.
Played for around 20 minutes.
Now the unit is very hot. Bottom side is too hot to touch even.
Is it normal?

pappantv wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks to all comments. Just to avoid confusion I got my ADI 2 PRO FS version.
Connected it to my Laptop. Connected my Focal Elear headphones.
Played for around 20 minutes.
Now the unit is very hot. Bottom side is too hot to touch even.
Is it normal?

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28774

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables