Topic: "DC coupled audio interface" Which outputs of my FF 800 can I use?

Hello everybody,

I'm just about to use a software-plugin to send CV/Gate signals to my analog synth.
The plugin manufacturer says that you have to use DC coupled audio outputs. Which of my outputs can I use for that? Is it only the headphones out or is it possible to use 1 or 2 mono outs maybe with a certain type of cable?

Many Thanks

Martin

Re: "DC coupled audio interface" Which outputs of my FF 800 can I use?

Phones only.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Okay, thanks support

RME Support wrote:

Phones only.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,
Regarding the FF800 and CV.
Can you help me work out what cable i need to make to get 2 cv outs of the Phones output ?
quote from:
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ … patibility

"With a TRS-to-dual TS adapter cable, both channels of the output jack can be used for CV."

I've read that it's called a 'Floating Ring Cable'.

I understand that the 'Ring' connection of the cable should not be connected but i can't get my head around how connecting
x2 TS cables to the x1 TRS cable can produce +- VOLTS.

I'm a noob with modular and dont want to damage my FF800.

Thanks in advance smile
Sam

This is called an 'insert' cable used for patching, or a 'stereo to 2 x mono' cable. And it is in the RME FF800 manual, page 93 (actually in nearly all our manuals).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thankyou.
I'm using the 8 analog outs for 'Triggers' to the modular is there any way i can damage the FF800 by sending really loud signals out ?

In TotalMix if it goes into the red is it doing any damage ?
Sorry if i'm being dumb

Note that above you talked about the Phones = stereo output. The 8 Line outputs are mono and servo-balanced, and can be used with a simple TS to TS cable (but won't give out DC).

These outputs can not be damaged by themself.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Note that above you talked about the Phones = stereo output. The 8 Line outputs are mono and servo-balanced, and can be used with a simple TS to TS cable (but won't give out DC).

These outputs can not be damaged by themself.

Really appreciate the help smile
Just to clarify, i wont to send CV out of the Phones output ( i have a better understanding of this now thankyou).

Also, i want to send single cycle waveforms to be used as triggers out of the 8 outs via ableton but i'm cautious of cranking the signal too loud and damaging an output on the FF800.

As demonstrated in the Make noise video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmWSxa6OCCg

After days of tinkering testing and many different cable configurations i conclude:

Fireface800 can not provide constant voltage through the DC Coupled headphone output.
i.e can not be used for CV pitch, only LFO Gate/triggers is possible.

If anyone has been able to provide constant voltage from headphones i'm all ears.

In the immortal words of terry tibbs "Much love and goodnight"

Sorry, but that was indeed a wrong information from support. The list of DC coupled units is here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/RM … utputs.pdf

And clearly lists the FF800 with no such output.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oops, sorry....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

MC wrote:

Sorry, but that was indeed a wrong information from support. The list of DC coupled units is here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/RM … utputs.pdf

And clearly lists the FF800 with no such output.

Wow this gets even more confusing
So the Tech Specs in the manual and on the RME website since the unit was introduced have been wrong all this time ?

So if the 800 has no DC coupled anything i am potentially damaging the 'headphone out' with my testing of Voltage output ?
I've sent sustained CV and LFO in testing, reading over 5 Volts with LFO.
Can we please clarify once and for all as i'm no engineer.
The .pdf you posted is not clear to me.
What's NR.CH ?
What's the difference between a - and an X ?
Is a - unknown ?

From the website Tech Specs:
DC-coupled signal path. 1 x 1/4" TRS unbalanced

sam_saw wrote:

So the Tech Specs in the manual and on the RME website since the unit was introduced have been wrong all this time ?

No. Your quote refers to the line outputs. These have an internal DC-coupled signal path, they don't use a single capacitor in the signal path, except for a protection one directly at the output. Having no other capacitor in the whole circuit from DAC over level stages to the balanced output stage was not common practice when the FF800 was released. The phones outputs do not hacve such a capacitor at the output but before the volume pot to prvent scratch sounds when turing the pot. That said the FF800 was never advertised as having a frequency response down to 0 Hz or being able to send out DC.

sam_saw wrote:

So if the 800 has no DC coupled anything i am potentially damaging the 'headphone out' with my testing of Voltage output ? I've sent sustained CV and LFO in testing, reading over 5 Volts with LFO.

You can generate and send out any signal you like, you can't damage such electronics this way. They only send out signals that they can handle. It's that easy.

sam_saw wrote:

The .pdf you posted is not clear to me. What's NR.CH ?

Number of channels.

sam_saw wrote:

What's the difference between a - and an X ?

- means not supported, X means DC supported.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Damn, seems the newer 802 doesn't support it either, in fact, very few actually do!