Topic: Multiface I and Thunderbolt 3

Hi,
I have a problem to let Multiface I be recognized at boot.

This is my PC-Multiface chain:

PC Asus GL502VM equipped with Thunderbolt 3 USB-C 20Gb/s
Thunderbolt 3 cable
Sonnet EchoExpress SEI
Cablematic PCI-Express to ExpressCard
RME HDSPe ExpressCard – 34mm
RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface I

Software:

Fully updated Windows 10 Enterprise
Thunderbolt software: 16.2.52.250 (as recommended by Asus)
Controller: Thunderbolt 3 (15BF)

Startup sequence:

PC, Sonnet and Multiface I connected to the main power supply
Fully connected chain (these devices do not support hot plugging)
PC in the power off state
PC power on

Results:
Sometimes (70%) Multiface I starts regularly. Error red led on Multiface panel switches off. Open devices: Base System, Multimedia Audio Controller.
Sometimes (30%) Thunderbolt starts regularly but Multiface I is not recognized and error led remains fixed red. RME Hammerfall DSP appears in the device manager only when I select ‘Show hidden devices’. Open devices: Base System.

It seems that this random behaviour is somewhat related to driver loading. Can you help me to isolate the problem ? Of course, once started Mulltiface works perfectly but this is an annoying behaviour.
Thanks a lot for your kind assistance
Best regards
Angelo

Re: Multiface I and Thunderbolt 3

I forgot to specify that the RME Hammerfall DSP driver is the last one: 4.2.9.0 (June 25,  2019) and firmware is updated.
Regards
Angelo

External powersuply for multiface? If not try that.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Hi,
thanks for the fast reply. The Hammerfall DSP Multiface is connected to the main through a 12V switching power supply. Do you mean an external power supply for the HDSPe Express Card ? Now the power supply is provided by the PCIexpress to ExpressCard converter (Cablematic SL-81). I have not found a specification for the maximum output current. But the board is equipped with a USB IN, maybe to increase the maximum output current. Should I connect this USB to an external power supply ?
Thanks a lot
Best regards
Angelo

I've tried to attach an external power supply to increase the supply current to the ExpressCard. Unfortunately nothing changes. I am almost sure that the problem is at software level. Any driver expert ? Best Regards. Angelo

It has been mentioned here several times that using the Sonnet Echo the ExpressCard will not boot automatically, but needs a manual 'search for changed hardware' action from the Device Manager's menu. That is nothing we can change. Our driver is fully P&P and hotplug capable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks for the effort. The problem is that you cannot replicate this strange behaviour since 1) the chain is unusual and 2) there is some randomness. I will use the system as it is. A couple of boots and everything works. At least this is deterministic. Kind Regards. Angelo

You don't need to reboot, you have to search manually in the Device Manager. Much quicker.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I did try also after your previous message. No way. RME Hammerfall DSP appears as a hidden device in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section. Scan for hardware changes has no effect. Under properties: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45). To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer". If I reinsert the expresscard nothing happens. It seems that I have found the only way to have the system working after a maximum of two boots. Maybe something changes in the system when there is a problem with driver loading. Repeating the boot maybe the initial conditions are different, allowing a correct driver loading sequence. But I am not an expert. Thanks again. Kind Regards. Angelo

Interesting, I have this (or a similar one, anyway) issue with Multiface -> Cardbus -> expresscard34 adapter -> old Win 7 laptop  now... it's been this way since forever for me.  Sometimes it is not visible on boot, so I shut down, power-cycle the multiface, reboot, and it always sees it the second time.

angelo.cappello wrote:

I did try also after your previous message. No way. RME Hammerfall DSP appears as a hidden device in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section. Scan for hardware changes has no effect.

Another thing to check are your Thunderbold settings. I have everything set to allow and always on, both in BIOS and the TB software. Right click on that symbol, click on Settings and check both options.

If I connect Echo and ExpressCard I always get a warning message that the device is not compatible or similar, but it still works after the scan for changed hardware. This warning is caused by my StarTech TB3 to TB2 adapter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

interisting to read from the adapter you use.
My Madiface XT does not work without lost asio-buffer when i use it via usb 3.

Do you think this setup might work:

Madiface XT
pcie-card (from Matrox)
Echo
StarTech TB3 to TB2 adapter
Laptop (Thinkpad T480)

or

Madiface XT
via usb3 into StarTech TB3 to TB2 adapter
Laptop (Thinkpad T480)