1 (edited by jaychoupp 2019-07-29 16:53:03)

Topic: Use the Spdif of another interface to connect ADI-2 Pro only for ADDA?

I've got a pretty old firewire interface called mackie onyx 400f,it has lots of Inputs that i really need to use(plug in guitar/bass/stereo mics),and a Spdif I/O.But it's ADDA is out-of-date and the driver cant even work on Win10.

So i wanna buy a ADI-2 Pro and use it as the audio interface of my studio,also it's ADDA(for recording/monitoring),But I want to keep the Mackie 400f and use it's inputs for recording guitar and other high-impedence instruments(cas ADI-2 don't have this kind of inputs).

By the way I also get a Focusrite Isa Two preamp,which i still wanna use...

So sums up,I want Mackie's Inputs,Focusrite's Preamp and ADI-2 Pro's ADDA(and use RME as interface),is there a way to make this happen?

Since I'm not very good at technical stuff,if this can be done,please give me the exact order of how to connect those 3 gears!Some explanation about the signal flow would be best!!!

Thanks A Lot!!!

Re: Use the Spdif of another interface to connect ADI-2 Pro only for ADDA?

.. it is trivial to connect an ADI-2 Pro via SPDIF! However - your Mackie interface is definitely an aging product, and for the $$$ you'd be dropping on an ADI-2 Pro, you could get something like a FireFace UCX, which has very comparable features + expandability - with some very welcome monitoring features (TotalMix) in addition.

I realize this is a classic internet-forum-response ("Hello - i'm looking to buy a car" - "Why don't you buy a boat instead?") .. but as a (friendly) professional audio-engineer i consider the ADI-2 Pro somewhat of a crown-jewel; something to get when everything else is in order .. and while perhaps less glamorous, a "proper" soundcard is imho a much better investment! smile

Just my 2 cents smile

Rune Borup @ FishCorp
Producer / Engineer / Composer
RayDAT > 2 x ADI-8 QS | AES+SPDIF > ADI-2 Pro

3 (edited by ramses 2019-07-30 17:52:26)

+1

I would also recommend to choose a recording interface instead.

The ADI-2 Pro isn't a typical recording interface, as something like TotalMix FX is missing which enables you to get nice zero latency headphone mixes if required.

I would also recommend an UCX instead
or even suggest to sell all the other stuff and get one UFX II. Then you have 4 Mic Preamps of very good quality, 8 analog ports in/out, ADAT for any future expansion, TotalMix FX, FX chip, Autoset, DURec, Standalone Capabilities, Class Compliant mode if needed, etc etc... And everything in one RU (rack unit).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thx a lot!!!So UCX it is~~~