1 (edited by antoninleger 2018-01-17 14:05:09)

Topic: [Help needed] TotalMix with Artist Mix & Mackie Control for FOH setup

Hello,

I'm currently trying to see if it's possible to have a small live FOH setup with my FF802, my Macbook and an Avid Artist Mix, using TotalMix as a console, with its EQ and Dynamics, and with all the process done in the soundcard, which is for me safer than using (for example) Pro Tools for mixing live.

So my main problem was to set my Artist Mix to work with TotalMix, using Mackie Control.
I found a lot of old posts from this forum and I had some success : I can control a bank of 8 out channels, so far I have the motorized faders, the mute working and I can move the 8 channels' faders that I can see in brown in TotalMix.

Here's my main problem : I easily found the way to move one (or eight channels) right or left, it was the "nudge" or "bank" button on the Artist Mix. But I can't find the command for moving up or down, to access the Software playbacks or inputs channels (it seems to be called "arrow up" or "arrow down" as it's written in my manual).

http://pimg.imagesia.com/fichiers/1fj/capture-d-e-cran-2018-01-15-a-15-59-38_imagesia-com_1fj50_small.jpg
Hébergé par Imagesia.com

So, for the moment I can only control my outputs, which is not what I'm looking for in a situation of live show.
I'd like to access to the inputs channels mainly.
So, is there a shortcut, a command that I'm missing ? Help would be much appreciated.

And a have another question, this one I think is not Artist Mix-related : when I'm controlling TotalMix with Mackie Control, is the block of 8 channels forced to be 8 channels from the same row ?
(I hope I'm clear, doing my best)
I mean : In these 8 channels in brown, it's impossible to have, let's say, my 4 mic inputs, 2 software playbacks from Ableton Live, and my main out as a Master out ? I tried making a layout with only the channels I want but in this situation, I only have my main out in brown in TotalMix, and I only have this main out controllable on the Artist Mix.
And I imagine that if I had the shortcut to bank up or down, I'd only have my inputs or my software playbacks.

It would be absolutely great to be able to have channels from different "rows" in the same "bank", this way TotalMix would be a very powerful small-format live console with fantastic layout possibilities !
And maybe one day the EQ and Dynamics settings will be controllable with Mackie Control ? Or maybe it's already the case, if so do you have any clue to make it work ?

Thanks a lot, I hope I'm clear, I did my best with my English...

Antonin

Re: [Help needed] TotalMix with Artist Mix & Mackie Control for FOH setup

You can set up a Channel Layout excluding all 'in-between' channels from the remote. Then you can control spread out channels in one virtual 8 channel block. I am not sure this works over multiple rows, please try.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by antoninleger 2018-01-17 14:05:42)

Thanks for your Answer MC.

I tried this, and sadly it's not working the way I would like...

If i build a channel layout with for example, only my mics inputs, one software playback, one phone out and my main out, and then I activate midi control, I have only my two outputs (phones & main) shown in brown, the 8-channels bank does not spread to my software playback or my inputs...
If I click on "all" in the layout presets, I can see the other outputs, but not in brown, I can't control them (which is ok, because I chose that).
See picture :

http://pimg.imagesia.com/fichiers/1fj/capture-d-e-cran-2018-01-17-a-13-52-49_imagesia-com_1fj4w_small.jpg
Hébergé par Imagesia.com

And as I don't know how to "row up" and "row down" from my Artist Mix, I'm stuck with my two out channels on my Artist Mix.
Can't access to my software playbacks or inputs.

That said, I have some questions :

- Do you think that in the future it could be possible to have a 8-channels block that could be extend to several rows ?
Something that allows me to control, for example, the layout I presented in the beginning of this message.

- Do you have an Artist Mix or equivalent, and if so did you achieve the "row up/down" command on this controller ? If yes, how ?

- If there's no way to have this command, is it possible that the "bank left/right" command, when you're on, say,  the "left border" of the outputs row, pressing again "bank left" sends you on the upper row ?
Being able to row up or down with the bank up/down buttons, or something like that, but not being "blocked" when you're on the left or right "border" of a row.

[I edited my first message for you can see the manual's screenshot I attach]

Thanks
Antonin

http://www.jjlee.com/qlab/Mackie%20Cont … %20Map.pdf

Blue area.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I can see in your link that the channel left/right and the bank left/right are in the blue area, but not the up/down that I'm looking for. I think they're in the green area of this document, except the "Assignable 1 & 2" we can see in your TM manual that I assume are in the red area.

Now that we found this, what am I supposed to do with ?
I'm sorry but I don't understand how it can be an answer to my questions.

I mean, how can the place of the row up/down command in a Mackie Document help me to understand where to find it on my Artist Mix ? The Mackie Control Protocol is not customizable, right ?

Maybe this is more an Avid/Euphonix Problem and not really a problem from RME/TotalMix, but as the subject of using an Artist Mix with TotalMix has already been discussed on this forum, and that the row up/down command is not useless in this situation, I think there's a way to do it, but I can't find it...
So, if you (or someone else) have an Artist Mix , do you simply know which button(s) to push to access the row up/down command ?

And what about my suggestions on what I think could be an improvement of these commands (being able of rowing up/down with channels/bank left/right commands and a 8-channels block that could spread to multiples row, see my previous message) ?
This could be a solution to my problems too.

Thanks

I was under the impression that you could program buttons in the Artist Mix with MIDI note commands. I would think that finding out how to do Bank Up Down is most easy via Avid support and forums.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You're right, I'm opening a topic on Avid Forum, maybe someone has figured it out.

antoninleger wrote:

- Do you think that in the future it could be possible to have an 8-channels block that could be extended to several rows ?
Something that allows me to control, for example, the layout I presented in the beginning of this message.

- If there's no way to have this command, is it possible that the "bank left/right" command, when you're on, say,  the "left border" of the outputs row, pressing again "bank left" sends you on the upper row ?
Being able to row up or down with the bank up/down buttons, or something like that, but not being "blocked" when you're on the left or right "border" of a row.

What about all this ?
It could be a good improvement IMHO, not just a solution to my problems.

Thanks

I don't think suggestion 1 can be added this easily. It also opens the door for a lot of pitfalls and operating errors.

Suggestion 2 causes a lot of problems for disabled people, and even normal users. We had that in our old TotalMix and removed it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I don't think suggestion 1 can be added this easily. It also opens the door for a lot of pitfalls and operating errors.

Suggestion 2 causes a lot of problems for disabled people, and even normal users. We had that in our old TotalMix and removed it.

I perfectly understand that what can be a solution for me can create a lot of troubles for others.

---

GREAT NEWS :

After some researches and a lot of test, I'm very happy (and a bit proud) to announce that I found a way to achieve what I was looking for !
I'll try to explain it right here, in details, in case someone would like to do the same or even to improve it.

The idea came from MC and from a topic from 2010 on this forum. He suggested me to try to program buttons on the Artist Mix, which can't be done. (message #6)
So I reversed it, and tried to convert MIDI out signal from the Artist Mix to make it "say" exactly what I want to TotalMix.
The link MC gave me (see previous messages) with the Mackie Protocol map was my Rosetta Stone.

I used this incredible-but-free software, MIDIPipe, like someone did in 2010 for something different.
You should read about MIDIPipe before using it, to understand how it works.

It allows me to :

- Create Virtual MIDI ports (that I called MIDIPipe in & out)
- See which midi-message was sent from the Artist Mix when pressing a button ("AList" tool)
- Convert a midi note to another (the "Key Mapper" tool)
- Let the rest of the MIDI flows without touching it

So :

- MIDIPipe has my Artist Mix's port 1 as MIDI input and "MIDIPipe out" as output
- TotalMix has "MIDIPipe out" as MIDI input, and my Artist Mix's port 1 as MIDI output (I don't need to convert MIDI sent to the surface so I'm directly going to the Artist Mix, no need of MIDIPipe here)

That done, I was able to see the MIDI sent to TotalMix. I found a button which note hadn't any effect on TotalMix, in my case it's the small "ON" button close to the rotary pot of channel 1 (not the big one, it's the "MUTE" button).
Choose the one you want, but not an useful one !
I read the MIDI note it sends, and used "Key Mapper" to convert it in the MIDI note corresponding to "Cursor/Arrow UP" in the Mackie Protocol Map, and here it is !
This useless button now allows me to bank up !
And I don't need to do the same for the "Cursor DOWN", as when I'm on the top row, pressing it again sends me to the lower row (which doesn't work with the "Bank LEFT" & "Bank RIGHT" buttons as it was discussed before on this topic).
If I wanted to, I could use (for example) the same button but on channel 2 and do the same to have the "Cursor DOWN" command.

To be precise there's just a small difference between the Mackie Protocol map and the MIDI note which is effective in TotalMix, I can't explain why/how but :
The Mackie maps says I need a C7 for "Cursor UP", which correspond to "Row UP" in TotalMix, but with a C7 it's not working, I tried a C8 and here it is. There's apparently an octave interval between TotalMix and the Mackie Map.
The notes are the same but not the Octave.
I don't know if it's for ALL the commands, but I had to consider this interval to make the command work.

Don't forget to save your MIDIPipe configuration !

So, now I can row up/down from my Artist Mix and so I have access to my inputs and playbacks.
So I find myself in a good position to make some FOH mixes with small bands.

There's a good step-to-step tutorial on this topic on how to connect an Artist Mix to Total Mix to have it stable :

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=18909
Message #6 by Loonypac

Once this done, everything seems stable so far : the surface, TotalMix & MIDIPipe.

One more cool thing : on the Eucon software, I assign and block my TotalMix Master to the 8th fader, so I have always access to it. And when I row up or down, it does not move, that's cool.
But for a reason I don't understand, if I do the same with, say, my playback software 1, I can lock it on the 7th fader for example, but when I row up/down, the channel locked on this fader changes to one channel of the current row (and the master on the 8th fader stays like I want). I'll search why. Not a big deal.

If someone is in trouble, please ask, I'll try my best to help.
Thanks MC for sending me on the good leads.

antoninleger wrote:
MC wrote:

I perfectly understand that what can be a solution for me can create a lot of troubles for others.

---

GREAT NEWS :

After some researches and a lot of test, I'm very happy (and a bit proud) to announce that I found a way to achieve what I was looking for !
I'll try to explain it right here, in details, in case someone would like to do the same or even to improve it.

The idea came from MC and from a topic from 2010 on this forum. He suggested me to try to program buttons on the Artist Mix, which can't be done. (message #6)
So I reversed it, and tried to convert MIDI out signal from the Artist Mix to make it "say" exactly what I want to TotalMix.
The link MC gave me (see previous messages) with the Mackie Protocol map was my Rosetta Stone.

I used this incredible-but-free software, MIDIPipe, like someone did in 2010 for something different.
You should read about MIDIPipe before using it, to understand how it works.

It allows me to :

- Create Virtual MIDI ports (that I called MIDIPipe in & out)
- See which midi-message was sent from the Artist Mix when pressing a button ("AList" tool)
- Convert a midi note to another (the "Key Mapper" tool)
- Let the rest of the MIDI flows without touching it

So :

- MIDIPipe has my Artist Mix's port 1 as MIDI input and "MIDIPipe out" as output
- TotalMix has "MIDIPipe out" as MIDI input, and my Artist Mix's port 1 as MIDI output (I don't need to convert MIDI sent to the surface so I'm directly going to the Artist Mix, no need of MIDIPipe here)

That done, I was able to see the MIDI sent to TotalMix. I found a button which note hadn't any effect on TotalMix, in my case it's the small "ON" button close to the rotary pot of channel 1 (not the big one, it's the "MUTE" button).
Choose the one you want, but not an useful one !
I read the MIDI note it sends, and used "Key Mapper" to convert it in the MIDI note corresponding to "Cursor/Arrow UP" in the Mackie Protocol Map, and here it is !
This useless button now allows me to bank up !
And I don't need to do the same for the "Cursor DOWN", as when I'm on the top row, pressing it again sends me to the lower row (which doesn't work with the "Bank LEFT" & "Bank RIGHT" buttons as it was discussed before on this topic).
If I wanted to, I could use (for example) the same button but on channel 2 and do the same to have the "Cursor DOWN" command.

To be precise there's just a small difference between the Mackie Protocol map and the MIDI note which is effective in TotalMix, I can't explain why/how but :
The Mackie maps says I need a C7 for "Cursor UP", which correspond to "Row UP" in TotalMix, but with a C7 it's not working, I tried a C8 and here it is. There's apparently an octave interval between TotalMix and the Mackie Map.
The notes are the same but not the Octave.
I don't know if it's for ALL the commands, but I had to consider this interval to make the command work.

Don't forget to save your MIDIPipe configuration !

So, now I can row up/down from my Artist Mix and so I have access to my inputs and playbacks.
So I find myself in a good position to make some FOH mixes with small bands.

There's a good step-to-step tutorial on this topic on how to connect an Artist Mix to Total Mix to have it stable :

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=18909
Message #6 by Loonypac

Once this done, everything seems stable so far : the surface, TotalMix & MIDIPipe.

One more cool thing : on the Eucon software, I assign and block my TotalMix Master to the 8th fader, so I have always access to it. And when I row up or down, it does not move, that's cool.
But for a reason I don't understand, if I do the same with, say, my playback software 1, I can lock it on the 7th fader for example, but when I row up/down, the channel locked on this fader changes to one channel of the current row (and the master on the 8th fader stays like I want). I'll search why. Not a big deal.

If someone is in trouble, please ask, I'll try my best to help.
Thanks MC for sending me on the good leads.

Are you still using this setup?

Backpacker wrote:

Hi, sorry for taking so long to answer.
It's been a long time since I've used this setup, but I think it's still working, why ?

antoninleger wrote:
Backpacker wrote:

Hi, sorry for taking so long to answer.
It's been a long time since I've used this setup, but I think it's still working, why ?

I'm interested in getting a control surface such has the Artist Mix... was it seamlessly plug and play?