1 (edited by tony@smartcommunity.ca 2019-08-08 17:56:35)

Topic: Filter 4 and 5 will not go below 200Hz

Hello, I was informed by the distributor that all 5 filters can operate below 200hz. I find that I cannot configure filter 4 and 5 to operate below 200hz. Is there a way to allow this?

A related topic is that I use Room EQ and a calibrated mic for room correction. Is there interest in adding in ADI-2 DAC into their supported DSPs? The issue above would somehow have to be rationalized with the Room EQ software.

Thanks in advance

Re: Filter 4 and 5 will not go below 200Hz

ADI-2 DAC is not capable of setting band 4 and 5 below 200 Hz.Your distributor was unfortunetly wrong.

ADI-2 is not a DSP device, its equalizer is there to basic fine tune the room / headphones output.

That has been discussed here before. For DSP resource reasons the upper filters can not go below 200 Hz. That will not change.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I discovered the same, but reading the manual left me confused because the 200 Hz limit was only mentioned explicitly for the high cut filter which for me implied that it did not apply to the peak filter. It is a pity because the most troublesome peaks are at the lower frequencies. Looking at my first room measurements I may need four below 200 Hz. But so be it.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

5 (edited by ramses 2019-08-09 10:12:01)

If the room needs more corrections than you have available on the ADI-2 Pro to adjust, I think it might be worth considering whether it wouldn't be a better strategy to optimize the room itself in some points and then leave only the rest - up to three bands - to the PEQ.

If you are using a Windows PC (or laptop) as your audio player (like I do with MusicBee and "MusicBee Remote" to control playlists via Android Smartphone, supports also ASIO), you might want to consider other solutions such as Sonarworks 4 maybe in combination with an additional tool where you can insert the Sonarworks VST plugin or by using the Standalone version.

I have currently no time to look deeper into it, but will probably get such a solution in a couple of months with the one or other cyber deal.

This review on YouTube looks promising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7GJvJmy1w

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have four optical sources so any solution should work for all of them, hence my wish to do this with the DAC:

1 Chromecast Audio optical out
2 Bluray Player, optical out
3 Plasma TV, optical out
4 Pro-ject, E Box optical, a MM phono amp with ADC.

I also use an Antimode 8033 to equalize the subwoofer, and that works very well, but I can see that the main speakers (Quad 2805) add their own peaks at low frequencies, so the idea is to use the filters in the DAC to equalize the added peaks produced by the main speakers.

In my home office system I am quite happy using the Equalizer APO on my computer to equalize the desktop  speakers in that system, However, there I only use the computer as a source.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

I have no idea how this would impact the dsp resource utilization, but would it be possible to have a limit of, say, 100 Hz for filter 4 and a limit of, say, 500 Hz for filter 5?

That is not possible, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ramses wrote:

If the room needs more corrections than you have available on the ADI-2 Pro to adjust, I think it might be worth considering whether it wouldn't be a better strategy to optimize the room itself in some points and then leave only the rest - up to three bands - to the PEQ.

If you are using a Windows PC (or laptop) as your audio player (like I do with MusicBee and "MusicBee Remote" to control playlists via Android Smartphone, supports also ASIO), you might want to consider other solutions such as Sonarworks 4 maybe in combination with an additional tool where you can insert the Sonarworks VST plugin or by using the Standalone version.

I have currently no time to look deeper into it, but will probably get such a solution in a couple of months with the one or other cyber deal.

This review on YouTube looks promising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7GJvJmy1w

Thanks for the video, well after i fully treatment my room (as possible) I had issue with frequency around 140-150 hz .
With sonaworks it completly make my sound flat and was hearing for the first time a warm and powerful bass.
Also comparing my previous mixes, now i have waaay better especially in my low ends.