Topic: Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 26 / 30 - Remote it!

Remote it! ADI-2 DAC is ready for programmable remotes

Our latest two ADI-2 DAC firmwares, see

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewforum.php?id=21

included an undisclosed, new functionality. We thought with DSP 29 we already nailed it, but found a small display bug when adjusting Balance, so we are forced to release version 30.

And here we go: RME's ADI-2 DAC enters remote paradise!

Users that own a freely programmable remote, either as part of a home automation system, or self-build with infrared transmitters, or a programmable remote from renowned manufacturer Logitech can now use their remote to control the ADI-2 DAC. RME released a document listing all the supported remote commands and codes:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/ad … mmands.zip

And Logitech added all these commands/codes to their data base for the RME ADI-2 DAC:

http://www.myharmony.com

Search for RME, ADI-2 DAC, in your Harmony software!

The new, extended remote support covers more than the original 11 buttons of RME's handy inclusion. Users now also have direct access to the 31 'remap' actions/commands, with no remapping necessary. The infrared code list also includes Bass +/-, Treble +/-, and Balance Left/Right control - yes, these functions can now also be remoted if you have a programmable one with enough buttons wink

Furthermore, we found that programmable remotes often do not support a long press on the power button, which is necessary for the DAC. Not only that a short press interrupts the AutoDark mode, we also prevent an accidental switch-off this way, exactly as with the Standby button at the unit. Therefore RME added a specific power-off code that turns off the unit immediately, making it possible to use a third party remote also for switching the unit into standby.

RME's total remote approach allows to set Polarity, DAC filters, Dim, AutoDark, Crossfeed, Loudness, display control and many more features and functions, comfortably from the preferred listening position, or automated through custom remote solutions.

Included in this firmware update
- Fix: State Overview warning Emphasis did not fit the screen
- Improved: Warning messages Emphasis and Non-Audio newly referred to inputs optical or coaxial

As always with RME the firmware update is free for all owners of an ADI-2 DAC, and very easy to perform.

Downloads:

Windows firmware updater:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_win.zip

Mac OS firmware updater:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_mac.zip

List of all remote commands (Open Office table):

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/ad … mmands.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

2 (edited by N00b 2019-07-02 15:07:11)

Re: Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 26 / 30 - Remote it!

Wow, thanks a lot!!! Very good news!

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Great, thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Is it possible to get a file of the hex codes. I do not have Excel, so unfortunately I'm unable to open the file you have listed in your post.
I use a URC MX-900 remote and can program using hex codes for the IR codes.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

5 (edited by Siemak 2021-01-08 19:06:54)

Yeah smile       Thanks a lot guys. Great job!!!

6 (edited by ramses 2019-07-02 19:19:45)

ODS is an open format you can open it with openoffice or libreoffice which is free of charge.

Here copy/paste:

Manufacturer    ID hexadecimal    Protocol    Model           
RME (rme-audio.de)    1234    NEC    ADI-2 DAC           

Remote keys    hexadecimal    binary    Full name           
Power On    20    00100000    Power Toggle           
Power Off    14    00010100    Additional Power Off command           
Volume -    21    00100001    Volume Down           
Volume +    22    00100010    Volume Up           
COAX    23    00100011    Input Coaxial           
OPT    24    00100100    Input Optical           
USB    25    00100101    Input USB           
1    26    00100110    Remap Key 1           
2    27    00100111    Remap Key 2           
3    28    00101000    Remap Key 3           
4    29    00101001    Remap Key 4           
Mute    2A    00101010               

Additional Functions for Programmable Remotes                       
B/T    2B    00101011    Bass/Treble On/Off           
EQ    2C    00101100    EQ On/Off           
LD    2D    00101101    Loudness On/Off           
VOL    2E    00101110    VOL Push (Select)           
B+    2F    00101111    Bass Up           
B-    30    00110000    Bass Down           
T+    31    00110001    Treble Up           
T-    32    00110010    Treble Down           
BAL L    33    00110011    Balance Left           
BAL R    34    00110100    Balance Right           

Setup 1    36    00110110               
Setup 2    37    00110111               
Setup 3    38    00111000               
Setup 4    39    00111001               
Setup 5    3A    00111010               
Setup 6    3B    00111011               
Setup 7    30    00111100               
Setup 8    3C    00111101               
Setup 9    3E    00111110               

Mono    00    00000000               
Mono to L    01    00000001    Mono to Left           
Mute all    02    00000010               
EQ+B/T+LD    03    00000011    EQ+Bass/Treble+Loudness On/Off           
Toggle Ph/Line    04    00000100    Toggle Phones/Line           
Polarity    05    00000101               
AutoDark    06    00000110               
Dim    07    00000111               
Toggle View    08    00001000               

Crossfeed 1    09    00001001               
Crossfeed 2    0A    00001010               
Crossfeed 3    0B    00001011               
Crossfeed 4    0C    00001100               
Crossfeed 5    0D    00001101               
DAC SD Sharp    0E    00001110               
DAC SD Slow    0F    00001111               
DAC Sharp    10    00010000               
DAC Slow    11    00010001               
DAC NOS    12    00010010

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Wow, that's wicked.

Amazing. Or, in German: Wie geil ist das denn?

Thanks for the update! I'm having problems launching the Mac version of the firmware tool (no problem with previous ones): is there a problem with the tool or my computer?

It only launches when the DAC is connected via USB and switched on.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks--that worked and the new Logitech Harmony commands are great!

Randomly switching filters from your listening position is a great way to test whether you hear the difference at all, and what's your preference if you do. smile

Thanks for that great update. Unfortunately I had to reprogram my harmony elite (remove and add adi 2) for the new items on device page to show up.
No when turning off the  action adi2 stays on and I have to manually switch it off via off command from device page.

john34 wrote:

Thanks for that great update. Unfortunately I had to reprogram my harmony elite (remove and add adi 2) for the new items on device page to show up.
No when turning off the  action adi2 stays on and I have to manually switch it off via off command from device page.

Yep, exact same issue here. I think it’s a Logitech rather than RME issue. Looks like Logitech are possibly using the ‘Power Cycle’ command (that does not work for me) rather than the discrete ‘Power Off’ command. I was going to see what f I can remap the command within the app.

As expected and described above - or not?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

16 (edited by Trojka 2019-07-04 07:25:51)

In the Logitech app you have three options for RME ADI2, power off, power on and power toggle. Check the device's power settings, and also make sure it's pressed long enough. I'm using power toggle with 1.5s, which still works fine after the upgrade. Maybe power off works as well, never checked it.

17 (edited by john34 2019-07-04 07:35:04)

As I am not using the app but ‚actions‘ on the elite remote there is no way to add the correct command manually. That‘s a pity because the old commands worked flawlessly. I will have a talk to Logitech support today.

Trojka wrote:

In the Logitech app you have three options for RME ADI2, power off, power on and power toggle. Check the device's power settings, and also make sure it's pressed long enough. I'm using power toggle with 1.5s, which still works fine after the upgrade. Maybe power off works as well, never checked it.

Good to hear that the Elite allows to change the button behaviour. In this case all you need is power toggle with 1.5 s and it will power on and off. The extra power off command is not needed then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Trojka wrote:

Thank you! Adding 1.5s resulted in the RME ADI2 turning off correctly using the power toggle setting.

I don't even own a Harmony Remote, but installed the new Firmware anyway.

Once again however, I say that I am SO Impressed with RME's constant Expansion, and Refinement of my ADI-2 DAC's Functionality!

Viele Dank RME!!

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Had a phone call with logitech , they fixed the off command. The obviousl aren‘t using the discrete off command.
Btw.: Is it possible to add deemphasis to the remote codes? As I am playing ripped cds from my server it would come very handy for a handful of albums!

Herzlichen Dank für die großartige Produktpflege!

22 (edited by Trojka 2019-07-05 21:02:17)

I had a few albums with emphasis in my collection, and I remember de-emphasizing them with Sox or Foobar (it's a long time ago). Maybe a better option than to keep switching?

About the Logitech Harmony software, maybe it's good to mention that if you can only choose Volume Up, Volume Down and Mute in the Activity StartUp Sequence, this is intentional. Harmony won’t allow users to add input/power commands in the Activity customization sequence as it might affect the smart state of Harmony. You can teach that input command with different names like Source (do not use input/Power as a prefix) and add those commands in required Activity StartUp Sequence.

As preemphasis is beiing applied with analog filters to my knowledge there is no ideal way to deemphasise files in digital domain. To my ears ADi2 does a better job than sox.
Quick switching from listening position would ease to determinate if a file has emphasis applied.

I'm going to rerip my 25 year old Schnittke cd (apparently it was only one cd) to confirm what you're saying. smile

Is this remote feature applicable to my brand new ADI-2 Pro Fs?  I really like to have remote no matter how... but like to have some sort of remote control

pappantv wrote:

Is this remote feature applicable to my brand new ADI-2 Pro Fs?  I really like to have remote no matter how... but like to have some sort of remote control

Nope, no IR receiver on the Pro/Pro FS... It only applies to DAC.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Hi, just a question: in the yesterday Facebook post, we are told about "extended output switching between all three outputs" in the last firrmware update. I can't find anything about it in the last two updates... Have I missed something?

Yes:

- New option Mute Line – Toggle Plugged (Setup – Options – Device Mode). Having plugged-in Phones and IEM, switching via long press of the Volume knob now toggles between Line (rear), Phones, IEM, back to Line (rear) and so on.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

29 (edited by N00b 2019-07-12 15:35:04)

MC wrote:

Yes:

- New option Mute Line – Toggle Plugged (Setup – Options – Device Mode). Having plugged-in Phones and IEM, switching via long press of the Volume knob now toggles between Line (rear), Phones, IEM, back to Line (rear) and so on.

OK, thanks!!

And BTW, the automatic intput selection is really a bliss! So convenient...

30 (edited by corinos 2019-07-17 10:37:09)

The new functionality is really cool indeed. One glitch that I noticed on the ADI-2 DAC (FS):

When turning the EQ on/off via the remote, using the "EQ+B/T+Ld" option, the EQ curve that is restored when being turned OFF --> ON is erroneous. It is a shape that is not found in either of my presets or in the Temp memory. I need to press on the dial No. 2 (bottom right) and manually select the correct preset to restore the intended curve. When choosing the EQ curve from the display, pressing on the remote button and turning "EQ+B/T+Ld" on/off shows right away that upon re-activation, the EQ curve is messed up.

I want to add that this bug occurs only when the current preset is not shown underneath the display. That is, if the EQ display setting has been such that underneath the curve display one can see for example: "B 5 G -6.0 F 8.5k Q 2.3", then the bug occurs. But if the EQ page is set so that underneath the display one can see: "1: MyEqPreset", then the bug does not occur.

Has that occurred to anyone else? Is that a known bug? If yes, any plans to fix it?

Thanks.
Christos

We'll check it, thanks for the details.

Check: As far as I see the bug is that band 5 is switched between Peak and Shelf in that moment. This is properly shown in the parameter line's symbol. The other bands seem not affected. It's not a graphical glitch, the EQ really changes. Also this might be not a new bug, as this function has been there for quite some time. And the same happens when doing this via the buttons on the front. Nice find!

And it's the same in the ADI-2 Pro.

What makes this really unfortunate is that when the Preset name is shown in the parameter line, the graphics don't change, but the frequency response does (in case band 5 is not equal 0 dB gain). We will try to fix this quickly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Cool! Thanks a lot for the confirmation and the further investigation. I had noticed few of the points you mentioned but I didn't want to bomb my post with too much info. Looking forward to the next firmware release then smile

A bug with the EQ... If I set a Peak EQ on band 5, save it; if I put the EQ on and off, the band 5 is Shelf and no more Peak...

N00b wrote:

A bug with the EQ... If I set a Peak EQ on band 5, save it; if I put the EQ on and off, the band 5 is Shelf and no more Peak...

Did you read the last three posts before yours? How does it differ?

35 (edited by N00b 2019-07-22 23:19:16)

jiw wrote:
N00b wrote:

Did you read the last three posts before yours? How does it differ?

Sorry, the same... Was not concerned did not processed...

Hi! This was a very nice firmware update. However, I have no Logitech remote, but after this update I will buy one. However. I find it a bit confusing to understand what it is that differ between the different Logitech remote models. Can somebody help me? Which model will I need to fully utilise the firmware update from RME for ADI-2 DAC?

Thanks in advance

I am currently testing DSP versions 31 for DAC and DSP 95 for Pro. The main bugs reported were all easy to fix:

- EQ band 5 no longer switches filter type

- DA filters on remap and remote work as expected

- DIM keeps -20 dB when AutoRef is active

As we are still working on the Pro's 'one channel click sound on sample rate change' release will need a bit more time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

par.linden wrote:

Hi! This was a very nice firmware update. However, I have no Logitech remote, but after this update I will buy one. However. I find it a bit confusing to understand what it is that differ between the different Logitech remote models. Can somebody help me? Which model will I need to fully utilise the firmware update from RME for ADI-2 DAC?

Thanks in advance

Hi.
I bought Logitech Harmony Elite remote, specially for ADI-2 DAC and it works fine.
The remote proved to be very smart and useful not only for  DAC but also my all AV/ HiFi system.

Regards

I knwo this has been discussed, and it's really not a big issue, but if you save 2 presets with different EQ, when you switch, you loose the EQ name (the EQ is the good one, but the details top scrreen indicates "Manual"). smile

That's explained in the manual and won't change. EQ Presets are not part of the Setup, only the current state when saving.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

41 (edited by N00b 2019-08-02 11:18:58)

MC wrote:

That's explained in the manual and won't change. EQ Presets are not part of the Setup, only the current state when saving.

OK, thanks! I misred the manual and thought that the different EQs weren't saved with the setup. smile

They are not saved. Just the current state of all 5 bands.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

In case someone else needs the IR codes in Global Caché format, I'll save you the trouble (you may need to change 3:1 for your address/channel) : https://justpaste.it/76oxh

Thanks. And for people like me who don't know what Global Caché is:

https://github.com/openremote/Documenta … Cach%C3%A9

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

FYI, I use the app mbhRemote with a cheap old GC100 I got off ebay a long time ago. But if you're starting today, the Harmony remote with a hub is a better bet (unless like me, you also need RS232 and unmodulated IR outputs for something else).

Hello, I bought another ADI-2 DAC for my living room, and I find it hard to distinguish from 8, 9, and 6 on detail and dark volume screen from a distance, I think that volume would be easier to read if font like Linux Libertine https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/linux-libertine , or Caladea https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/caladea were used for numbers, but it's not a big deal, I love this dac, especially the crossfeed.

Quick question, I just got this device and it's running v.30. Would that prevent the firmware update software from starting?

No. Windows drivers installed?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I did not, the drivers are installed and the updater is working as intended. Thanks for your help.

50 (edited by joachim.herbert 2019-08-23 09:54:51)

Older Harmony remotes must be programmed with the Harmony app ver. 7.7.0.

The ADI-2 DAC is filed under amplifier (Verstärker), RME, ADI-2 DAC.

Just loaded the configuration. Not working yet. Volume down works, volume up does not, just for example. Troubleshooting weekend ahead.