Topic: Question about connecting RME Fireface 400 to New Mac iMini (2018)

Hey guys, I really hope I'll got some advices here, going straight to my problem - lately my old iMac (mid 2011) video cheap broke and I cannot change it because is old generation computer and there is not part for it to be change, so need to think for a new Mac. I'm producing music and need new desk machine to start working properly again. So really get into new Mac mini 2018 but seems to be that there no thunderbolt at the back on the mac mini (only Thunderbolt 3) and I cannot use the adapter Thunderbolt to FireWire as I planned as solution. I was checking around the network and find that there is another adapter that I can use - Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2. So in this case i have two adapters connected one after one to get to firewire for my Fireface 400. My point is it going to work this way properly and no having issues with the sound and latency, etc. Don't wanna get one Mac mini 2018 and to realized that I cannot manage with this and need to think for new sound card, really having too much expenses right now to get also sound card will kill my work flow and will slow my return more. Wait to hear from you guys, thank you in advance

Re: Question about connecting RME Fireface 400 to New Mac iMini (2018)

I can’t give you an answer to your question, but I am using the TB3 to TB2 adapter connected to a TB to Firewire 800 adapter, which connects my UAD Satellite to my Macbook Pro and it works flawless.

thank you mate, this info also helps me somehow, just wants to hear it from RME support as well they suppose to know the best for their product, probably i need to try out as buy those adapter and see if it works. hopefully it will someone who has the same experience like my issue.

It works fine with the TB3 > TB2 adapter in series with the TB > FW800 adapter.

You will need the external power supply for the Fireface (TB does not provide enough bus power) and I would also recommend getting a 9-pin to 6-pin FW cable (FW800 <> FW400).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.