Re: Hardware Alert: FireWire solutions with Agere FW chip

I bought the ff400 an it works with my macbook bought in november (lucent firewire chipset). If it works with several macbook with the lucent chipset, I think Apple has to find a solution, to fix the problem and to refund all the unhappy customers. I hate their way to hide problems, to erase all the post in their forum.

My macbook is from past December and never had any problem with my FF400.

Cheers.

Fireface 400 + DIGI96/8 PAD. It's old but works.

153 (edited by dio13 2008-07-05 22:44:32)

FF400 works great with WD MyBook Studio as a hub and the hard drive's 2 firewire cables included (one 800 to 800 and one 800 to 400). Direct firewire 400 connection is broken as expected.

imac 2.8 (2008 edition)

What?s the latest news regarding this mess?

Hi there. Absolutely new on the RME board, so "hello" for a start.

I'm working on a white non-aluminum 2006 built iMac 17' 2 Ghz, running OS X Tiger. If I check the specks while booting I cannot find a TI entry. Can anyone tell me whether I will have problems if I buy & use a FF 800 ?

Thanks for any help!

Alexander

If you found a "Lucent" (Agere) entry, then you will have trouble but it can be solved by the use of an external HD (FW) and plugging the FF800 to it.

hmm. I'll do it again and see if I get better info about my system. For f***'s sake, I hope it'll run RME's hardware.... *holding my breath*

Thanks, Gilbert!

158 (edited by Andersounds 2008-07-28 19:39:50)

Quote: "FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5811 PCI now active...."

Hell! :censored

It's only a FW 400 port, does that affect the issue?

Thanks for help

Alexander

159 (edited by Meld 2008-09-10 03:29:08)

I seem to remember reading that the white iMacs didn't have a compatibility problem with the Fireface even though they used the Lucent Firewire chipset as well. It was the new alum. iMacs and new Firewire 800 chipsets that caused problems.

But good news! After I installed the latest 1.67 firmware and 2.62 OS X driver update,  my Fireface 400 now works ok, even when connected to the Firewire 400 port, and without needing the external power supply, on my Alum. 20" iMac. You may still need the external power supply if you are connecting mics requiring phantom power, I'm not too sure on that one as I've really only been using the Fireface as a playback soundcard.

I'm not getting the audio dropouts in iTunes anymore. Good thing too, as I was just about to sell my Fireface and get an Apogee Duet or Motu Ultralite.

[EDIT]

Ok, I know now why the Fireface 400 was behaving properly. I had a video capture card connected to the Firewire bus and it had no power switch so it was constantly on unless I unplugged it. I think the video capture card may have been preventing the Firewire bus resets from occurring.

I have since moved the capture card to another computer and I decided to test the Fireface today (been using inbuilt sound mainly) and I'm getting audio drop outs again.

160 (edited by undercode 2008-07-30 19:08:47)

I was just about to sell my Fireface and get an Apogee Duet or Motu Ultralite.

"...Bonasera. Bonasera. What have I ever done to make you to treat me so disrespectfully?" :-)

Cheers.

Fireface 400 + DIGI96/8 PAD. It's old but works.

161 (edited by Andersounds 2008-07-31 17:19:28)

ah that's good news! was thinking of getting a new macPro, but gee, they are somewhat expensive (although they never were so cheap). will mull it over.... I need more than 2 ghz core 2 duo anyway. Logic 8 sucks more power than I thought it would.

cheers all 'round

Alexander

I was lucky. I have the GeForce 8600M GT but checked the Firewire chipset after rebooting to single user:
Firewire (OHCI) TI ID 8025 built-in now active,

My FF400 does work fine but I came here because the fan is always starts running (wild) when I use the FF400.
I heard this is another bug with firewire. What do you say?

Use an external power supply for the FF.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello, I made an edit to my previous post as I found out why my Fireface 400 was suddenly working again. I had a video capture card connected to the Firewire bus and it had no power switch so it was constantly on until you unplugged it. It may have been the thing preventing the Firewire bus resets from occurring.

After I removed the video capture card from the Firewire bus, I started getting the audio drop outs on the FF400 again.

Perhaps though that opens up more solutions. Could other Firewire devices be plugged in to the Firewire bus and prevent these resets?

165 (edited by lschock 2008-09-12 22:51:51)

Greetings,

I am using non of your products, so excuse me if I post here, but I just wanted to let everyone know, that pretty much the same problem also happens with the Yamaha GO46 external firewire soundcard, when used with an Agere firewire adapter.

I was using the built in Agere/Lucent-Firewire adapter of my Asus Motherboard P5E3 DELUXE/WiFi-AP

I had a 40% success rate for the PC recognizing my sound card and doing a handshake, but I wasn't able to hot plug out / plug in, because then it would never recognized the card again.

I found the solution on this forum - thanks a lot! :-)

I've purchased a brand new PCIe FireWire card:
SIIG FireWire 800 DV-Kit NN-831012-S2 which cost me with shipping and tax over $100, but now my troubles are gone and I can even hot plug-in, plug-out the sound-card and the OS will always recognize it.

ASUS were not helpful at all - after describing the problem in great detail that was the ignorant response of their Lead Tech Support Engineer:

[q]We have no known issues with the firewire chip. If you are having problems please feel free to submit your motherboard for repair by calling 510-739-3777 Opt. 2.[/q]

Oh well - guess I won't buy from them again.

Greetings,
Leander.

166 (edited by flextone 2008-10-22 23:33:06)

Hi

I'm looking at getting a used black 2ghz macbook from late 2006. I asked the guy over the phone to check the fw chipset using restart and command+s, and he said Lucent ID 5811. How can this be? I thought only the late 2007 santa rosa models have this problem. Am I wrong? Is this the dreaded Agere chipset?

167 (edited by adl 2008-11-03 22:08:24)

Damn!
Switched from PC to a black Macbook and just found out that it has the Lucent Chip :-O

I was looking for a Soundcard for liveperformance, so....FF400 is definetly NOT working?

EDIT: Hm, seems to be fine for some people.
Weird issue

I have been using a Nitro Av FW800 X2 adaptor  for my 2006 Macbook Pro 2Ghz Core Duo (Lucent) with my FF800 as it didn't have a 800 slot, I just looked at the specs and it is TI chipset - I was planning on buying the latest 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro, can I just stick the Nitro AV in the PCI slot and everything will be OK?
Also, is there any disadvantage in terms of performance in using an adaptor in the PCI slot instead of a direct connection with a cable?
thanks
J

Hi, I just bought a Fireface 400 and I'm very disappointed to find out it will not work with my brand new MBP 2.8ghz... this is a major refresh of the Macbook Pro line and the fact Apple have chosen to go with this Agere FW chip after so much time would seem to imply that they feel no need to address issues it. With this in mind, do you not feel that making your product compatible with the iMac and MBP line is vitally important? If other manufacturers can do it, I fail to understand why RME cannot.

Please tell me straight-up whilst I am within my return window on the Fireface 400; will you be making it compatible with the latest Apple products? Or are you still declaring your Firewire products incompatible with all new iMacs and MBPs?

Thanks,

Alex

note: every time I post this it duplicates it. I've tried deleting just one and it deletes the other. I'm using Firefox 3 on a Mac.

170 (edited by alexaz 2008-11-14 18:43:07)

Hi, I just brushed the cobwebs of my Motu 896 Mk1 and as long as I hook my Fireface 400 in via the 896 it works fine. This is more than a little ridiculous; I bought the Fireface 400 for its portability and the 896 Mk1 is like 4 times the size!!!

If someone at RME were to buy a new MBP, what method would they use to hook up a Fireface 400? From researching posts on this forum is would seem a Firewire 800 Express Card or a hub is the best option. The Siig Firewire 800 is recommended (http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=NN-EC2822-S1) as a Firewire 800 PC Express Card. What about Firewire hubs??? Is there a particular model someone is using that I can be sure will work?

Having got the Fireface 400 working via the Motu 896, it's fantastic! I'm loving how the MBP volume keys actually change the volume on the FF400. Though I note that if you change the volume on the FF400 it does change the volume but not OSX's knowledge of the volume (so if had it at full volume and then turned the FF400 knob to mute but then tapped the volume up button on the MBP, it's back to full volume).

Thanks,

Alex

It's great to hear some solid info on the new MBP and the FF400. I want to get a 2.8 too, but wasn't sure if it would work with the FF400. Glad to hear you got it working by putting another device through first. I'd be interested in hearing about any ExpressCard Firewire adapter solutions and how well they work with the 2.8 too.

In the meanwhile, I bought my FF400 first, and it's a 2nd hand one and it seems to be dodgy. =/ May have to take it back to the seller for a refund and buy brand new. ^_^

alexaz wrote:

Hi, I just bought a Fireface 400 and I'm very disappointed to find out it will not work with my brand new MBP 2.8ghz... this is a major refresh of the Macbook Pro line and the fact Apple have chosen to go with this Agere FW chip after so much time would seem to imply that they feel no need to address issues it. With this in mind, do you not feel that making your product compatible with the iMac and MBP line is vitally important? If other manufacturers can do it, I fail to understand why RME cannot.

Couldn't agree more. I bought my Fireface 400 a year ago to run on a 20" iMac, and from the outset had to trawl this forum, buy a different cable, mess around installing and re-installing different drivers and firmware updates and power it via the external power supply--merely to get it to work as advertised. Now I've upgraded to a 2.4 unibody MacBook Pro and--surprise surprise--the Fireface is incompatible. One year on, I don't see RME having made any progress towards fixing the problem(s). The "workarounds" discussed here-- involving routing it through an external HD or buying an ExpressCard adapter--are too convoluted for my liking. My solution has been to swap the offending interface for an Apogee Duet.

I was delighted with the sound- and build-quality of the Fireface, but the way RME treats its customers leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Regards,
Todd Lawton

I too am extremely disappointed with the Fireface400/MacBook Pro situation. I bought a Fireface 400 over a year ago and have been checking these forums almost daily ever since in the hope of a PROPER resolution to the problem before paying thousands of dollars for a laptop.

In the meantime I am using my old desktop PC with a Multiface and that works perfectly.

This Apple/RME problem just seems to keep dragging on and we, the customers, are left to try numerous workarounds in the hope that the system MIGHT work. Unfortunately I am not in the position to spend that much money only to find the system doesn't work properly. I have already spent money on an interface which I thought would be great and I really don't know what to do with it now.

Very frustrating.

Regards,
Andrew.

This is silly,
just got my new MBP 2.4 and voil?!
My FF400 is no longer working...

If RME does'nt act quickly on this(not work arounds like hubs or MOTU interfaces:) they can kiss their apple users bye bye.

Bye bye

175 (edited by Klangwunder 2008-12-12 01:26:45)

Hello,

i have a Macbook (13,3', White, Early 2008) and a FF400.
I have done some tests an found only minimal problems with the latency.
I?ve connected all analog-outs to the analog-ins and played and recorded a 1kHz sine-wave through it for 5 minutes. No problems at 5ms Latency.
With 3ms Latency there where some dropouts. I think that this is OK - what do you think about it?
If its possible, i will loopback the optical-interface in addition with the analog ones and see if it works with 16 channels in and out.
I don?t know by now if i can loopback the adat-interface - i have to read the manual.:rolleyes: I hope so much that it will work with all ins and outs.
I like my FF400 very much (Routing, Sound, etc, and i look forward for DigiCheck on the mac in pleasant anticipation!) - and i like my macbook.
I hope that they will do their job together for a long long time. (but i think that this will depend on apple)
best regards

Edit:

i forgot to mention that the tests were done with the highest available resolution. I remember 192kHz, 24bit.

176 (edited by jcschild 2008-12-11 15:47:43)

the problem is NOT RME but you all buying the wrong Apple units.
imac? please long known issues with its firewire chipset
new MBP or older MBP that has agere/lucent firewire again known issues

you want to be mad at someone be made at apple for using inferior (cheap) firewire chipset rather than TI firewire.
and FYI this is not just an RME problem
TI firewire is recommended by ALL audio interac manufacturers

SCott
ADK

zawinul wrote:

This is silly

It is indeed... :roll

For your kind perusal, here's a thread on Gearslutz on the subject...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

zawinul wrote:

This is silly,
...they can kiss their apple users bye bye.

Bye bye

Beside the fact to use a username which is far superiour to your post's fame, bye bye...

Zapp

Regards
Zapp

you want to be mad at someone be made at apple for using inferior (cheap) firewire chipset rather than TI firewire.

My Macbook (not Pro) is working fine with the FF400 - it?s the last model with built-in FW400.
So there is no need for me to look what chip is built into it. It works. Sorry for the MBP-Users.
(I think that dropouts at 3ms Latency are not a big problem - i just tweak it up to 5ms and everything is ok.)

Klangwunder wrote:

My Macbook (not Pro) is working fine with the FF400 - it?s the last model with built-in FW400.
So there is no need for me to look what chip is built into it. It works. Sorry for the MBP-Users.
(I think that dropouts at 3ms Latency are not a big problem - i just tweak it up to 5ms and everything is ok.)

If you cannot use the lowest buffersize setting, I wouldn?t agree that the Mac is working fine with the FireFace?

If you cannot use the lowest buffersize setting, I wouldn?t agree that the Mac is working fine with the FireFace?

Because of 2ms difference?
Any verifiable comparsion values?
I suspect that you want to badmouth something.

At 3ms there are some dropouts.
At 5ms no dropouts at all.
So, where is the problem? This was a test!
I can work with 5ms Latency with no restrictions
- and I don?t believ that other laptops are much faster.

So, values please!

Notice: A sound wave needs 3ms per meter!!!

To all the people who want to know it:
Macbook Early 2008 is working fine with FF400.
Don?t buy a Pro.

i am now geting worried very worried my new mac pro will not work with my new fireface 400 i have been trying for days and now i read this bull---t .Looks a lot like we are getting a bum of a deal , like Mac are starting to cut corners  putting a skoda engine into a bently with the same price Tag .
Point is i was told the RME would work like a dream on my Mac Pro I really never expected the RME 400 would work on my 5 year old pc and not on a brand new Mac what the hell is going on here .

Maybe i hit the nail on the head when i said the RME 400 works fine with my 5 year old PC but not on my  New Mac Pro . I hope for all our sake RME are not falling behind. Things get smaller and cheaper and maybe like cars they just dont make them like that anymore . But this is so called progress i dont like it but,  and its a big BUT, you got to keep up or get left behind  and at the moment i have a Mac Pro and a fireface 400 that together make no sound .  Will Mac  be going back to the expensive chipsets ? emmm ,, are we stuffed wholesale whats the solution ,, now laugh its better than jumping off a bridge.

Sorry, didn't mean to upset you guys,
but I don't want to spend my life reading forums before buying gear, I just want to make music!

So, I sold my FF 400 and got an Apogee Duet in two days time...
Take care and don't be upset if another FF/MBP user shows up telling you(RME) it's silly that a firewire device doesn't work on their firewire ports...

Maybe it's just my opinion that someone who makes peripherals to computers should adjust to the computers that are being sold.
Bye Bye/zawinul

Well, Zawinul does have a point here. Eventhough I can live with the solution to put some other device in between it means additional costs of at least another 50 Euro. Not everyone is willing to pay for that. It's still a kick-ass solution though, so you get what you pay for. :-)

Klangwunder wrote:

Because of 2ms difference?
Any verifiable comparsion values?
I suspect that you want to badmouth something.

At 3ms there are some dropouts.
At 5ms no dropouts at all.
So, where is the problem? This was a test!
I can work with 5ms Latency with no restrictions
- and I don?t believ that other laptops are much faster.

So, values please!

Notice: A sound wave needs 3ms per meter!!!

To all the people who want to know it:
Macbook Early 2008 is working fine with FF400.
Don?t buy a Pro.

No need to get upset, I?m just saying that the combination is not working flawlessly.

One last thing!

Just discovered the walkthrough on this problem: I sold my FF 400 (got 550 Euro) and got an Apogee Duet (399 Euro) and suddenly everything works flawlessly!

Easy as 1, 2 3!

zawinul wrote:

One last thing!

Just discovered the walkthrough on this problem: I sold my FF 400 (got 550 Euro) and got an Apogee Duet (399 Euro) and suddenly everything works flawlessly!

Easy as 1, 2 3!

That's great for you, but would everyone follow this logic then saying the following would lead to the same outcome: I sold my MBP (got 2500 Euro) and got an Dell laptop (799 Euro) and suddenly everything works flawlessly!

Every other Firewire port I tried the FF400 on to date (I think it was six different ones both with TI and VIA chipsets) worked out of the box. So yes, there is something going on between RME components and Apple components, and yes both companies should look into it, but no, it doesn't look like only RME is to be blamed. In fact I wrote to Apple Feedback already complaining that my MBP is the only device I cannot use my FF400 on without workarounds.

Hi,

I think I disagree here, Why ?
well Apple have made MBP with Texas Instruments firewire chipset
like MBP early 2008 and this laptop works nicely with FF800 here
and I can't blame anyone rant lol

regards S-EH

The question that arise: Why have they changed hardware which already functions properly?
Money?
Or: Why Agere?
Or: Why so much different hardware versions within a model series?
Questions to be considered I think...

regards
zapp

Regards
Zapp

I think the reason why they move to Agere (Lucent) is simple: Smaller physical size and lower cost. Do they care that 0.01% of their user base is having trouble (and many of them are switching to Apogee, a close partner of them?)? Probably not.

S-E Hansson wrote:

Hi,

I think I disagree here, Why ?
well Apple have made MBP with Texas Instruments firewire chipset
like MBP early 2008 and this laptop works nicely with FF800 here
and I can't blame anyone rant lol

regards S-EH

You do know that the latest MBP is now using the Agere (Lucent) chip?

zawinul wrote:

This is silly,
just got my new MBP 2.4 and voil?!
My FF400 is no longer working...

If RME does'nt act quickly on this(not work arounds like hubs or MOTU interfaces:) they can kiss their apple users bye bye.

Bye bye

me too... i feel so.... f**ked...?

this is my last apple computer...

Hi,

I had an interesting finding... The story in short: My first FF400 had some hardware trouble so I returned it, and got a replacement. The new one was ok. The issue I had with the rotary encoder is away. So far so good.

I connected the new FF400 to the fresh out-of-the-box MBP latest and greatest version that I received in parallel, and of course no chance to get rid of the red light. 400to400, 800to400 cable --- no chance

I used my Lacie D2 Quadra inbetween, and ran the HD in OFF mode. Interestingly with the first FF400 it worked seamlessly. The new FF400 however has shown the red light all the time. I connected the FF400 Power Supply and same issue. I could resolve it by switching the Lacie HD to "ON". So the HD runs all the time and produces fan noise, but fortunately the FF400 was connected to the host system. Again, this issue was new to me. The first FF400 worked even with the Lacie in STDBY mode very well together with my iMAC I own as well. The new FF400 does not.

Conclusion: It looks like even the FF400s have variances in the Firewire physical layer. From my technical perspective it must be something in the voltage level, which can't be interpreted well by the FF400. Maybe the Macs "fire" too low voltage... I don't have the time to investigate into the electronical details. I can not live with an Firewire audio interface, which requires a running Harddisk inbetween during audio recording...

I returned the new FF400 and will go with another brand.

It's a pitty...but true... Buy buy RME

P.S.: RME, get this Firewire issue fixed, and you are the winners!

I think there?s only two ways out of this predicament for RME;

1. Officially state that Mac?s with Lucent (Agere) FW-chips are incompatible with professional audio equipment together with a technical explanation of why.

2. Fix the FW-chip in the FireFace interfaces so they work with Lucent (if possible).

Gilbert wrote:

1. Officially state that Mac?s with Lucent (Agere) FW-chips are incompatible with professional audio equipment together with a technical explanation of why.

They did already at the very first post of exactly the thread you are just writing in. fryingpan

Timur wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

They did already at the very first post of exactly the thread you are just writing in. fryingpan

I think they need to be a bit more specific about it and state it more clearly on their webpage and maybe a press release in order to get some attention from the audio community.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_tech … ire_compat

Not a word about Lucent here?

198 (edited by kris 2009-01-04 21:07:53)

MC wrote:

If you read the threads in this forum again you should notice that there is more than one 'workaround' for this problem.

- FW 800 works perfectly. Just connect the FF 800 at this port.

- You can use an FW 800 to FW400 adapter cable. This way the Fireface 400 will work too (using the 800 port).

- The mentioned hubs/drives in between work too.

And we DID say we are in contact and working on this. You should understand that we can't encourage our customers to buy something now because we can't predict the future.

Hello Matthias,

I just want to post what I tried to email you yesterday...

So, I finally succeeded to buy a new FW800 6/9 (as Gravis shop was not able to sell one)
and I just tried the adapter-cable-solution...
The FF400 is displayed in Logic 8 (on a new iMac 24") but the HOST indicator is flashing.
Neither recording nor playback is possible. With blinking of the indicator the sync-clock shows negative values instead of the frequency.

What's wrong?

Do I have to buy an external FW hard disk? Which one will really work?

Regards,
Kris

199 (edited by diafebus 2009-01-11 13:59:56)

well i own an iMac 2,66ghz 20'' aluminium...
the same problems as everybody who owns them.

I readed the f*cking 4 pages and i have no solution... maybe it's better to change topic title.. u.U
well to resume this all 4 pages I think that there are 3 solutions..
1) Use a Lacie HD to use as a hub, I tried with 2 HDs, one Iomega(don't work) and Lacie(working, but this HD is not mine...) and i had the dropout audio in playbac, not in recording so... no alarming but disturbing to follow the audio...
2) Use the Belkin FireWire Hub, don't know if there are dropout audios or but 2 or 3 users are saying that this works... how good?
3) Use a F800 to F400 but Meld is saying that he has the audio dropouts... (anybody else tested?)

*EDIT 4) the repeater wire of firewire linked here... i'll try this one wink http://www.lindy.de/ieee1394a-firewire- … 32908.html

well can anybody up the more information for that 3 points which will be more useful to people than discusing about chipsets...

thank you! by the way! i tried RME FF400 thru a G5 and it seems to be high quality! tongue... hope to use with my iMac...

200 (edited by Timur 2009-01-11 11:26:37)

This Repeater cable work like a charm for the Fireface 400: http://www.lindy.de/ieee1394a-firewire- … 32908.html