Topic: Recording Large File with Digicheck 5.0 and RME HDSP 96/32

Hello !

I have recorded a 10 hours night show with "Global Recording". The result file size after exporting is 9 gb (24bit, 44Khz)

When I save the file and I play it in Foobar it is only 4h30min.

When I try to open it in an audio editor like Steinberg Wavelab, it says me the file is corrupted... sad

I think there is a limitation with recording size or file system (it is NTFS).

I try several software to "repair" the file with no success... even with audacity and "Raw Import"... same result.... I am very sad... sad

The only way I can play the file after 4h30 is in digicheck itself... HAPPY !!!!! smile

So I figure out that the only way to "free" the recording is to record the file playback in digicheck(lol).

How can I record digicheck ? The problem is that I can't open a new instance of digicheck (already use for playback)

Help would be apreciated... smile I don't want to record externally the playback of digicheck with other hardware... But I would if this is the ONLY solution !

Thank you very much !

PS : Sorry for my approximative English...

Re: Recording Large File with Digicheck 5.0 and RME HDSP 96/32

I have find the solution, so I share it with U !

I record the adat channel I choose in wavelab with "CTRL + Clic" on the channel in total mix...

big_smile

I suggest a feature in Digicheck that would be "auto spliting" while recording in order to have (user defined) multiples files for one global recording.

smile

There is no file size limit in NTFS.

I would appreciate to get some more information:

- recording 10 hours, but how many channels?

- The file size after export 9 GB - what are the export options used, mono, stereo etc?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

- recording 10 hours, but how many channels?

2 channels using analog inputs (Allen & Heath directly connected via Record output)

MC wrote:

- The file size after export 9 GB - what are the export options used, mono, stereo etc?

All active channels, 2-channels file

It seems to be 24bits/44kHz

Thanks. Finally, as we had a header bug some time ago: you sure use the latest DC version from our website?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Thanks. Finally, as we had a header bug some time ago: you sure use the latest DC version from our website?

Yes ! 5.0 from your website (11/03/2008).

Ok, then it all comes down to the max file size which is reported within the wave header. This one is exactly at the borders that you report. A clever software will not use this internal counter but the real file size, then it can always use the audio data, no matter what happened with the file. And then you can read in the whole 9 GB file, like DC can.

That said we and other customers have checked that earlier, and it seems you can open those files with Samplitude (there is an option to ignore the header) and also with WaveLab (option special file support or similar). I will check with the programmer if that should still work with the latest version.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

what audio file format is DC recording in
normal wav or is it RF64, Wave 64 ?

in WaveLab 6
Open / Import special Audio file...
then choose
Sample rate, Channels Mono or Stereo
Sample format (bit) and Byte order Intel or Motorola
and it's possible to ignore Header size and End size

tip turn down gain/volume if audio file is not known
or ugly plain white digtal noise if selecting wrong parameters!

regards S-EH

Normal wav. Thanks SEH for the WaveLab info!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks and you are welcome!

regards S-EH

Hi,

Thanks for suggestions...

I have only Wavelab 5 and I have tested all the options without success :

Special Import under Wavelab 5

AFAIK all DigiCheck recordings are 24bit - your screenshot shows 16...?

DC rules!

Paranoiak wrote:

I have only Wavelab 5 and I have tested all the options without success :Special Import under Wavelab 5

also 24 bits

The result is always NOISE.

ok... sorry, no more ideas here...

DC rules!

I don't have the option to "ignore the headers" maybe this would resolve the issue...

I don't have the money to upgrade to wavelab 6 at the moment... sad

Audacity (which is free and cross platform) can import raw audio files which I think is sort of like "ignore headers". I once used it to rescue corrupt audio files from a solid state audio recorder that had gone too deep under water. Just a suggestion.

I have tested many options with Audacity... see my first post.

At least, I can play it in Digicheck... smile

Hello!

We had the same problem as described above and only work with Wavelab 5, foobar, vlc, Cubase 5 - all this software won't play the file over 4:30. But there is a little tool, with this you can convert the "illegal" wav file to a w64 one. Then Cubase will read the complete recording.

http://fraph.free.fr/wav2w64/

I hope it will help some guys. :-)

Nive ecening
El Duderino

El Duderino you should have to tell me that you released MY SOFT from my site. I don't remember that I tell you it will be for free and for every one !

So Paranoiak tell me if my soft from http://fraph.free.fr/wav2w64/ works with you or not !

Grag

21 (edited by Dandruff 2010-04-23 21:26:57)

El Duderino wrote:

foobar

foobar2000 1.0.2.1? (they should have fixed digicheck w64 playback there). at least my test with a 2 channel stereo file worked fine.

Grag38 wrote:

El Duderino you should have to tell me that you released MY SOFT from my site. I don't remember that I tell you it will be for free and for every one !

So Paranoiak tell me if my soft from http://fraph.free.fr/wav2w64/ works with you or not !

Grag

Sorry. But I doesn't stated that this would be "my" software - I only wanted to help some guys who have the same problems. I like internet forums but all this reading of such a lot of threads, which mostly don't describe your problem (but that you realize after some minutes), and guess and try is frustrating. So I wanted to make a shortcut. The link to your software were found by us 3 minutes after reading this thread in the nuendo forum.

You wrote a link to your software in the open internet.. so if you doesn't want to spread it.. don't write a link in the internet.. make a hint in the forum that you have a softwaresolution on demand.. per mail personally.. so..

your software helped a lot.. a big thank you for this fine tool from our side. If we are not allowed to use it I am very sorry but I couldn't imagened that.

Best regards
El Duderino

Dandruff wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

foobar

foobar2000 1.0.2.1? (they should have fixed digicheck w64 playback there). at least my test with a 2 channel stereo file worked fine.

No it was an older version.. don't know exactly which one because it wasn't my system. But playback only wouldn't be a solution because we wanted a working file in cubase.

Ok ElDuderino, No trouble, But I just would like to know by which way the link had come up here !

So no trouble any more, I hope that soft will be able to help few people.

Just for info my soft just read the header of the wav file to get Rate, size of samples and write back all of the datas with an new header that is compatible with Wave64 format.

This format allows to go beyond the fatal 4Go of the standard wave file.