Topic: FF400, Macbook Pro, Bootcamp - weird buzzing noises

I've just got a new Macbook Pro, and I'm running Ableton Live under WinXP (boot camp) as my main sequencer...  every so often, I'll get a short but sustained buzzing noise during playback through my FF400, as if it's waiting for the machine to catch up or something like that... Firmware 1.63, driver 2.6.6.0...  I used the same driver & firmware combo on my old 2.0ghz Core Duo Macbook (which the MBP is replacing) without any hiccups whatsoever...

Any help would be appreciated smile

Re: FF400, Macbook Pro, Bootcamp - weird buzzing noises

The combination Bootcamp and FireWire is known to not work as desired. Maybe that changes one day.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Do you know whether it's Bootcamp/Windows/Mac related, or firmware related?  It worked perfectly fine on my old Rev A Macbook...

Hi Matthias-

Not sure what you are alluding to...I have a Fireface 800 and Sequoia working here like a champ running Boot Camp...

Parallels is not supportig Firewire yet...

All my best,

Tom Sailor

Changing from the firewire 400 port to the firewire 800 port on the Macbook Pro has definitely helped the situation...  Obviously this would require people to use a 9pin-6pin cable, but it's working without any hiccups so far...  I haven't tested it that extensively yet though, I'm still re-installing plugins & apps... but at the moment, using the firewire 800 port seems to be the winner wink

Macbook Pro, XPSP2 mit Bootcamp, FF400 und Sam 9.1.1:
Hatte gro?e Probleme mit Sam9, FF400 unter XPSP2, da die Wiedergabe br?ckelte, viele Asio-Buffer-Verluste.
Abhilfe bot neue TreiberCD mit Bootcamp1.1.3 (neue Intel-Chipsatztreiber etc), neuste RME-Treiber.
L?uft nun wie geschmiert, Sam9Demo mit einigen wenigen % CPU-Auslastung.

Nur eins bleibt merkw?rdig:
Buspower funktioniert nicht, alledings nach vorherigem Betrieb mit Netzteil und dann Umschalten auf Buspower dann doch?!
Am FW-Port des meines PCs alles normal.
Hat noch jemand Efahrung mit Buspower am Macbook pro?
Oder Erfahrung mit einer Expresscard34 mit FW-ports?

///

Macbook Pro, XPSP2 with Bootcamp, FF400 and Sam 9.1.1:
I had hugh problems with FF400 with XPSP2 with bootcamp: no constant audiostream, many asio-buffer-losts.
No more problems with a new Driver cd with bootcamp 1.1.3 (new intel chipset drivers etc.) and newest RME drivers.

Strange is the buspower option. Doesn't work, but when I use the external power and switch then to buspower, it works?!
Either with OS X 10.4.10
anybody else with eypearinces with buspower with macbook pro?

mustgroove wrote:

I've just got a new Macbook Pro, and I'm running Ableton Live under WinXP (boot camp) as my main sequencer...  every so often, I'll get a short but sustained buzzing noise during playback through my FF400, as if it's waiting for the machine to catch up or something like that... Firmware 1.63, driver 2.6.6.0...  I used the same driver & firmware combo on my old 2.0ghz Core Duo Macbook (which the MBP is replacing) without any hiccups whatsoever...

I have same problems, but even worse because sometimes the driver hangs up completely with constant high digital noise. The only thing which helps in this situation is switching in the Ableton live preferences to no audio and back to ASIO FW400.
Under OSX with same hardware and sequencer these problems do not occur.

Configuration:

Apple MBP 2.2 santa rosa
Win XP
Fw400 (latest driver)
Bootcamp 1.3
Ableton live (latest version)

Are there any recomendations how to solve this problem?

with kind reguards 

I.

According to other posts you need to apply the firewire patches from microsoft on the bootcamp side:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904412

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Installing these patches seems to be the solution!!!

Happy audio without gltches only 1 mb away!  No Fw 800 Cable needed!
After installing the microsoft firewire patches it evens seems like having les CPU load!!

Thanks for support.

I.

Wie doch kleine Dinge gro?e Freude bereiten..

I replyed earlier to a post of mustgroove which issues the same problem.
It looks like the problem I have with my HDSP pcmcia card on a MBP via a dueladapter.
Matthias, others, could this have to do with the same issues or do I have to look in another direction? I'm stuck now. Don't know which options I can try... Don't know if it is the combination of the intel chipset with bootcamp, if its the duel adapter with the rme. No clue whatsoever... Anyone maybe?

Make sure that the wireless network adapter DISABLED at all times when attempting any audio work in Bootcamped XP!  Enabled Wireless = BAD GLITCHES!

Finally I think I've got a fix for this... Both of these things seem to work:

1)  Disable all video hardware acceleration & write combining:  right click on the Desktop and select Properties->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshooting, and slide the slider all the way to the left (disables all hardware acceleration) and untick "Enable Write Combining"... this will make some GUI elements of some plugins/DAWs sluggish, so it's not the ideal solution, but it does the job...

2)  Disable Nvidia PowerMizer - right click on the Desktop and select Properties->Settings->Advanced->Nvidia 8600M->Mobile->Change PowerMizer Settings->Not Manage My Power Consumption...  this will make sure the video driver is running unhindered at all times...  This seems to fix the problem even when hardware acceleration & write combining are fully enabled, so this one is definitely the better way of fixing it IMHO...

I think disabling PowerMizer might help a lot of people out actually, it seems to be enabled by default in Bootcamp, so many people may not have turned it off... has definitely smoothed things out for me, no more annoying stuttering & buzzing all the time smile

I wonder if this tool would have shown the problem with the graphics card power management:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias - I can maybe give it a try on a quiet day when I'm not so busy...  will definitely post results in this thread

15 (edited by mustgroove 2008-01-17 15:33:00)

OK finally got around to doing the test with the DPC latency thing...  my highly unscientific and hurried test consisted of:

1) Opening Ableton Live
2) Dropping a track (32 bit 44.1) onto an empty audio track
3) Inserting a plugin which always caused the kind of weird buzzing I was talking about in the original post...

Here are the results!

1.  Powermizer turned ON - graphics card optimised for max battery life
http://i18.tinypic.com/6u686qf.png

The massive spike just happened to coincide with a big jarring noisy screech of the kind I was initially hearing

2. Powermizer turned OFF - graphics card at max
http://i18.tinypic.com/8dwoegp.png

No noisy screech to be heard, nothing but smooth audio smile

Lesson #1 for Macbook Pro users = Turn Off Powermizer! and you life will be much easier... will probably also apply to other nvidia-based notebooks...

Thanks for the feedback. Please note that you notebook still lacks performance. On my machines I do not see any peak higher than 1000?s.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by mustgroove 2008-01-19 06:15:17)

That's interesting Matthias, thanks very much, I might try and see what other factors are influencing the latency...  are your machines Macbook Pros or another brand?  It might be difficult to compare typical latency readouts between different brands...

But in terms of real world performance, ever since Powermizer was turned off my machine has been flawless...  The graph might be higher than is ideal but it is definitely performing more than adequately in real world applications.... thankfully!

18 (edited by mustgroove 2008-01-21 13:33:39)

I have decided to do some further testing, based on Matthias' comments... here are my results:

Firstly I decided to test the "background" latency, because Matthias suggested that it was too high on my machine even with Powermizer disabled...  so I decided to do a background reading - no audio apps running, just wiggling the mouse around while the Latency tester is running:

Powermizer off
(video) Hardware acceleration on Full
Write combining enabled
Testing: Background latency (just wiggling mouse around in Windows)
http://i25.tinypic.com/bj4ex.png

Looks pretty bad...  so I started to turn off things in the Display->Properties->Troubleshooting tab one by one, and tried the same thing:

Powermizer off
(video) Hardware acceleration on Full
Write combining DISABLED
Test: Background latency (just wiggling mouse around in Windows)

http://i26.tinypic.com/fjibfo.png

Much better!  But in the testing I did in my previous post, just turning off write combining had no effect on the loud glitches I heard - they were still occurring all the time... So I decided to do the same test as above (1. Opening Ableton Live, 2. Dropping a track (32 bit 44.1) onto an empty audio track,  3. Inserting a plugin which always caused the kind of weird buzzing I was talking about in the original post) with write combining disabled but with Powermizer both on and off...  here's the results:

Powermizer ON
(Video) Hardware acceleration on Full
Write combining DISABLED
Test: inserting plugin on project with 1 audio track

http://i25.tinypic.com/241qzwy.png

The background is quite low, but that massive spike coincides with inserting that plugin, and a big screeching noise of the kind I spoke about in the original post...  so for one last test, I tried turning off both Powermizer and write combining, and performing the same test again:

Powermizer OFF
(Video) Hardware acceleration on Full
Write combining DISABLED
Test: inserting plugin on project with 1 audio track

http://i31.tinypic.com/2pzbi3o.png

Totally fine!  The small bump is when the plugin was inserted, but you can see the computer didn't skip a beat...

OVERALL:  So basically, the lessons to be learned here are:
1) Turning off Write Combining (right click on desktop->Properties->Advanced->Troubleshooting) ensures the lowest possible background latency
2) However, when it comes to actual performance in audio/DAW applications, disabling Powermizer has the greater effect...

CONCLUSION: Macbook Pro (and possibly other nvidia notebook) owners should disable write combining and Powermizer for ultimate performance! smile 

Matthias - can this tip be stickied or something?

Thanks so much for that. Thats great work!

I should add 1 more thing... I turned on my laptop to do some work today, and just decided to run the DPC Latency tester 1 more time to confirm that I was still getting the same results as I just posted...  to my dismay, even with all of the stuff turned off that I was getting such great results with, I was still getting a graph that looked similar to this when I was just wiggling my mouse around in Windows with no apps running:

http://i25.tinypic.com/bj4ex.png

So obviously something was going wrong today, which wasn't going wrong yesterday... and I think I have narrowed down 1 more fix for us Macbook Pro users - KbgMgr.exe... simply quitting this process instantly turned my background latency graph into something like this

http://i31.tinypic.com/2pzbi3o.png

Much lower "floor" and no occasional red or yellow peaks...  KbdMgr.exe is the little diamond-shaped icon in the system tray which allows you to change brightness and onboard sound volume just like in OS X, complete with the little teanslucent graphic overlay in the bottom half of the screen...  just killing that process seems to greatly assist the overall readout...  so the list of tips is now up to 3:

1) Disable Powermizer
2) Disable write combining
3) Disable KbdMgr.exe (Macbook/Macbook Pro only)

big_smile

These functions often cause interruptions, this is not MacBook Pro specific. AFAIK some of the functions are using BIOS hooks and therefore stall the whole system when executed. But of course they should not have an effect when you just move the mouse (that seems to be MacBook specific...).

Good work!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I would suggest making this thread a sticky. This is the most complete analysis of Boot Camp for DAW that I've come across.

Where do I turn off write combining or fast writes under Vista?

I have a MacPro with "NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT".

Thanks for help.

Uhhpps ! Sorry

For the GeForce 7 Series i have found a new driver on the Homepage NVIDIA, which provides to turn off some parameter.
No weird buzzing noises anymore.

thx and bye

Meh. I *still* get a very occasional 4-5000 nano sec spike, maybe once every 5 or 10 minutes, and I just can't for the life of me hunt it down. Otherwise I'm down around 150-200. Really annoying.
mustgroove (or anybody), have you experienced anything similar?

having those same problems on my alu iMac using bootcamp + winXP i went out to try out the suggestions above.

the first thing I tried out did it for me, which was to DEACTIVATE WLAN! (as suggested by OverDogg). no more glitches ...

as for the microsoft firewire patches MC suggested some time ago on this thread. they were hard to get, as microsoft doesn't support the any longer for some reason. i found them though at these links:

http://www.windowspage.de/frame.php?htt … 85222.html

http://www.windowspage.de/frame.php?htt … 04412.html

but be aware, 1. i haven't tried them out myself, 2. there might be a reason why microsoft discontinued offering them.

Update for Windows XP (KB885222)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en

Update for Windows XP (KB904412)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en

regards S-EH

yes, that's how far i got on the microsoft site too ... but have you actually tried downloading the files? 'cause with me it then says that the page no longer exists.

Yes KB885222 and KB904412 works fine to download from MS.

regards S-EH

hi everyone,
I' m new on this forum.
I have a problem, don't want to blame Rme for it but,

I record with Nuendo3 on my new Macbookpro on the Windows partition.
I own a Fireface 400 (also RME Adi2).
bUT unfortunately on the windows partition I can hear all kinds of clicks during playback and recordings.
Errors are numbered in the Fireface settings and are a big problem cause are not professional at all, you understand.
is there a way to solve this completely and recording audio with my Nuendo without instability on the windows partition?
I' m using the firewire 800 port and that improved the situation but did not solved completely.
I updated the drivers both windows and fireface400 but still some problems...
I want to hear the clean pure audio like in the classic Rme style.
Can't stand the audio skipping here and there seems to came back to stoneage!!!
Is the anyone out there with a solution?
Thanks

So you tried all the tips described in this thread?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

yOU are right, before I have to try ALL the tips described above!!!
But as far as you guys know, is there anybody working with nuendo on the windows partition of a new Macbook pro?
you mention that bootcamp and firewire are not a good combination yet.
with my Fireface400 you think I can work with nuendo without any problem?
anyway, i 'll let you know the results of the applied tips of the other members.
thank you

Fwiw, following the earlier tips, now that I can successfully fully disable the Atheros AR5008 WLAN without my Macbook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz locking up (thanks to the new 7.6.0.260 drivers), and after disabling the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery, I'm getting nice low DPC latencies, absolute max of 92us, mostly around the 60/70 mark. Really pleased.

diseabling keyboard manager was the solution for me.

now it works fine while recording and playing music with nuendo3.
instead some occasional weird click is still occurring when Windows Media Player is on play.
does anybody have a solution for that.
thank you for helping me find the solution for the main problem above.
with regards francesco marino

mustgroove wrote:

I have this exact same problem but I am not using BootCamp at all.
I am using a MacBook, not bootcamp.
Recording to a FW 400 external drive.

Help!!

36 (edited by Sonik30 2009-01-09 18:52:34)

Solved

MacPro 8core|Cubase6|Protools9|Logic8|Wavelab7|2xUAD-2|Apogee Rosetta200|Fireface800|2xMCMix

Hello guys,
I did a video to show that the newest MacBook Pro 2.53Mhz (early 2009) works perfectly with the FF400.

How to use RME Fireface 400 with the newest MacBook Pro 2.53Mhz (early 2009):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVw9pBT_oX8

I basically use a HardDrive FF800 La Cie D2 Extrem as a HUB. Works good smile

Those machine are beast !!

icipascal

Hello guys. Here is a follow after 1 week. Everything works perfectly.
Now, I'm looking to get an expresscard to eSATA for my HD. That would liberate the Firewire 800 port to put exclusively my FF400.

Have fun.
(The guy who is expecting the next MBP Quad)

hi guys!i tried all the tips described,and killing keyboard manager exe made all the difference!pristine audio at last!

Search for my thread about howto get low DPC latencies on bootcamped Macbooks. There is a script in there that helps with KBDMGR. Works better on Vista than on XP though (XP doesn't allow to set CPU affinity via script).

Hi i started a thread also but can anyone confirm successful operation of a ff800, macbook pro with agere chipset and bootcamp. Please help my other brand interface does not work under this combination and would like to buy a ff800.

Hello i?m nu to this forum....

i have the same problems...using BC nu MB PRO, FF400 & NUENDO 3.2 (with my MB 13``i had no problems with the same setup...)
tried everything i read here, killing KBDMGR doesn?t help in my case...any suggestions? thanks

Exactly this kind of...

Ich habe ein ganz gro?es Problem hier, dass mich mittlerweile schon sehr lange belastet (seit Kauf des neuen Mac Pro um Genau zu sein...Mai09)

Ich bin Apple User und ben?tze via Boot Camp Windows XP SP2 als Musicsystem, urspr?nglich hatte ich ein Macbook 13``mit Fireface 400 auch via Bootcamp (damals 1.4 BETA) und konnte ohne Probleme an meinen Projekten arbeiten (NUENDO 3.2.0)

Mittlerweile besitze ich ein Macbook PRO 2.4GHz Dual Intel Core auf OS X 10.5.7 bzw. WIN XP SP3 und FF400 die ich gerade wieder bekommen habe, da Gew?hrleistungsfall (und NUENDO 3.2.0).

Auf OS X l?uft alles wie immer tadelos, aber auf meinem WIN SYSTEM habe ich sobald ich NUENDO starte ein digitales Clipping und kann keine Projekte abspielen, egal welche Buffersize, gleiches mit WIN Media Player. ?ber den internen MMDriver l?sst sich alles abspielen.

Ich habe mich in den Foren stutzig gemacht und gemerkt das dieses Problem auch schon 2007 vorgekommen ist, ich habe mittlerweile schon alles erdenkliche versucht:

Das System ist auf Audio optimiert und (fast) alles das ich nicht zum Musikmachen brauche ist deaktiviert (Grafikkarte schnikschnak-> Powermizer bei Nvidia enabled, Internet etc und mit Tune UP alle nicht brauchbaren Files gel?scht/ repariert, KbdMgr Killed...).

Neuinstall NUENDO, Neuinstall FF mit aktuellsten Treibern, Firewire Driver Update, unter anderem 2 Interfaces (AudiECHO, MOTU 828) drangeh?ngt, bei AudioECHO hat sich WIN sofort nach Installieren des Treibers aufgeh?ngt

und bei MOTU 828 bekam ich bei Media Player keinen Sound raus,

bei Start von NUENDO bzw. als ich in die device settings ging und die Soundkarte umstellen wollte: "The device is on a bus that cannot support this transfer rate."

Mit meinem alten MBook und BC Beta lief alles wie geschmiert, WTF ist hier los???!!!! Gleiches bei Versuch FF800 dranzuh?ngen, gleiches Problem wie mit FF400...

Meines Erachtens kann es nur ein Firewire Problem und/ oder BootCamp Problem sein, ich hab auch gelesen das es MOTU und anderen Usern mit diversen Interfaces genaus bzw. ?hnlich erging, aber das: FW DRIVER 885222 and 904412 sind im SP3 dabei.  Was interessant ist, dass bei allen Threads die ich gelesen habe nur Mac Pro User dieses Problem hatten und keine Apple User die das kleine MBook hatten!

Ich bin mit meiner Geduld am Ende, da ich endlich wieder gerne Musik machen m?chte und nicht mit Equipment das mich etwa 2500,- gekostet hat wie ein Administrator auf Fehlersuche gehen muss.

Es kann nicht sein dass dieses Problem schon 2 Jahre existiert und anscheinend noch immer nicht fixed ist, BITTE UM TROUBLESHOOTING : )

Welche M?glichkeiten kann man noch aussch?pfen, ohne wieder 2-3 Wochen BC neu aufzusetzen um dann zu hoffen dass dies eventuell funktioniert (Ich habe die FF400 etwa 2 Jahre, diese einzutauschen gegen eine FF400USB ist nehme ich mal an nicht m?glich?).

Macbook PRO 2.4GHz Dual Intel Core
MAC OS X
BOOT CAMP
WIN XP SP2
RME FF 400
NUENDO 3.2.0

Hi,

I have a problem since a few months now, exactly since I bought a Mac PRO...May09

I?m Apple user and use WIN XP SP2 as my MUSICSYSTEM via BOOT CAMP, I formerly had a Macbook 13??with Fireface 400 via BC Beta 1.4 and was able to to work on my projects without any problems (NUENDO 3.2.0)

Now I have a MAC PRO 2.4GHz Dual Intel Core on OS X 10.5.7 /  WIN XP SP2 und FF400 and NUENDO 3.2.0.

On OS X everything runs clearly without any troubles, but on my WIN SYS I have digital clipping/ crackling when I start NUENDO or WIN Media Player (when NUENDO is in the background clipping isn?t there...) With the internal MMDriver I can play everything without any problems...

I hooked diverse forums and considered that this problem exists since 2007, so I tried everything I read there:

ReInstall NUENDO, ReInstall FF400 with newest drivers, Newest Firewire Update, moreover 2 other interfaces (AudioECHO, MOTU 828), after the installation of the AudioECHO driver WIN crashed

with MOTU 828 I couldn?t get any sound from Media Player,

when I started NUENDO and got into the device settings to change the soundcard I got this message: "The device is on a bus that cannot support this transfer rate." I wasn?t able to go to CueMix (Mixer of MOTU)...totaly the same pro with FF800 as with FF400 (tried yesterday...)

With my old MBook 13??and BCAMP Beta I didn?t have any troubles, so can?t imagine what?s goin on here??!!!!

Maybe it could be a Firewire and/or Boot Camp problem - i also read that MOTU and other users with various interfaces have/ had the same problems. FW DRIVER 885222 and 904412 are packed in the SP3, but what is interesting: that just (what I read in the threads) only MAC PRO user have these kind of problems, neither users which have an (old) little MBook 13``.

I can?t stand it anymore, just want to make music again and not searching in forums anymore....i spent 2500,- EUROS on expensive so called HIGHQUALITY equipment which doesn?t work!!!!

It can?t be that this problem exist since 2 years and isn?t fixed till now, please help me TROUBLESHOOTING : )

Are there any possibilities without setting up BootCamp for the next 2-3 weeks to hope that it maybe could work????

Macbook PRO 2.4GHz Dual Intel Core
MAC OS X
BOOT CAMP
WIN XP SP2
RME FF 400
NUENDO 3.2.0

44 (edited by Timur 2009-08-24 15:37:12)

Was hier fehlt ist eine brauchbare Fehleranalyse des Problems. Es ruft ja auch keiner beim Hersteller des Waschbeckens an, wenn der Abfluss verstopft ist, sondern man ruft erstmal den Klemptner. Wenn der feststellt, dass es am Waschbecken liegt, dann kann man sich sinnvoll an den Hersteller wenden.

Schick mir Dein Macbook Pro samt Interface und Software (plus Ilok) vorbei, dann kann ich genau sagen, was da nicht richtig l?uft (vor allem im Vergleich zu meinem eigenen Macbook Pro late 2008).

f?llt dir nichts ein was man vorher noch versuchen k?nnte? dachte an nen work around mit nem firewire hub...?

Da unter OS X alles funktioniert sollte das keine Firewire Port Geschichte sein. Probieren kann nicht schaden, aber die ?blichen Probleme zwischen Mac FW Ports und den Firefaces betreffen normalerweise auch OS X (ist eine elektrische Geschichte, keine OS Geschichte).

In so einem Fall hilft das hier: http://www.lindy.de/ieee1394a-firewire- … 32908.html

47 (edited by riddler 2009-08-24 19:27:03)

Danke f?r den raschen support hier, bl?de frage aber meinst du das reicht ohne FW port hub?

Was genau soll reichen? Das Lindy Kabel oder das Fireface? Wie gesagt, wenn es unter OS X l?uft sollte es auch unter Windows laufen. Aber ich kenne die neuesten FW Chips?tze der Macs noch nicht aus eigener Erfahrung, meiner ist noch aus 2008.

49 (edited by riddler 2009-08-25 17:17:00)

Probiers mit ner FW Express Karte,...

Holy Express Card...Finally!!! WORKS! Dank an Timur f?r den Support