Topic: Issue with Digicheck 5 in combination with Fireface 400...

Hey guys,

today I tried out the "Global Record" function in Digicheck and first of all I have to say that I'm really excited about this feature. However I had an heavy issue with the program: I tried to record some of my synthies directly from RME's input with Global Record, which worked perfectly fine at any sample rate. But as soon as I tried to record a playback coming from an external program like VLC, WaveLab or Windows Media Player (as mentioned in the manual), I had heavy issues like strange noises in the background. Any idea where this could be coming from?

I use the latest version of DigiCheck in combination with my Fireface 400 via Windows x64. Thanks!

Re: Issue with Digicheck 5 in combination with Fireface 400...

In addition I am not able to record the instruments connected to the Inputs of my AD/DA converter in DigiCheck, just the Inputs directly connected to the fireface.

Here's a screen of my settings (any ideas?):

http://i31.tinypic.com/jtkpr5.jpg

Gregsen wrote:

Hey guys,

today I tried out the "Global Record" function in Digicheck and first of all I have to say that I'm really excited about this feature. However I had an heavy issue with the program: I tried to record some of my synthies directly from RME's input with Global Record, which worked perfectly fine at any sample rate. But as soon as I tried to record a playback coming from an external program like VLC, WaveLab or Windows Media Player (as mentioned in the manual), I had heavy issues like strange noises in the background. Any idea where this could be coming from?

I use the latest version of DigiCheck in combination with my Fireface 400 via Windows x64. Thanks!

Hey there,

I would check your totalmix settings first. Make sure you aren't creating a feedback loop or similar.

Also Make sure you are recording the actual inputs rather than the playback channels in global record.

Isaac.

4 (edited by Gregsen 2009-07-09 09:57:10)

Hey,

in TotalMix I've only routed my Inputs and Playback to Output 1+2, I don't see where I could've created something like a feedback.

Here are some screens of my DigiCheck Settings (the settings were like this when I tried to record a playback):

http://i28.tinypic.com/2lbgarp.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/2ahdv2b.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/i52bcw.jpg

And why are you trying to set the sample rate to 192 kHz?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Gregsen 2009-07-09 10:51:15)

That's random. I basically tried all the sample rates and I still have noises in the record :[

What sample rate would you recommend? 96 kHZ?

As I said, if I try to record the Inputs connected to the Fireface, I have no problems whatsoever. Those strange noises only occur if I try to record a playback of an external program. I am surprised that nobody has ever heard of this problem - could my Fireface be damaged?

7 (edited by Gregsen 2009-07-09 11:32:42)

Okay, I checked "Bit Staticistic + Noise" in DigiCheck while playing a Playback from an external program. I recognized something really strange that makes me worried.

I have 2 different partitions on my pc: One for multimedia and one for audio production. Both are similar concerning sound settings. BUT: On my audio partition I can see MSB, Audio Data, LSB and AUX in green when I'm not processing any audio, and when I start a playback from an external program all the parameters switch to a blue "0".

On my multimedia partition it looks like this:

without any audio processing:
http://i32.tinypic.com/2zr480o.jpg

playback running:
http://i27.tinypic.com/24x2pu0.jpg

What does that mean??

EDIT: The problem suddenly went away when I switched back to "record Inputs" and then again to "record Playback". However I'd like to know if those screens could be an indicator for the problem.

Gregsen wrote:

That's random. I basically tried all the sample rates and I still have noises in the record :[
What sample rate would you recommend? 96 kHZ?

Your wife is driving in front of you with 44 km/h. You want to follow and make a photo, so need to have a speed of 192 km/h...or 96 km/h...

Come on, obviously you try to record an already ongoing playback, so you would set the exact same sample rate, and with a bit of knowledge about what is going on you would not set any sample rate at all!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

...which doesn't seem to solve the problem. Regardless if I set a samplerate in Global Record or not, I still have a record full of noise.

And you're right, I tried both recording an ongoing playback and starting the playback while record was activated...both isn't working. Your (surprisingly unfriendly, I might add) tech support suggested me to try solving the problem via total mix and the loopback function (the support didn't have any other solution), which didn't lead to a success so far as well.

Maybe you could proivide a sample recording that shows these "strange noises".
Also what is the problem with the Loopback idea (which I suggested as workaround, not solution).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

@RME Support:

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a tool to upload files in this forum, so I hope a rapidshare link works as well. It shows what happens if I try to record a playback with Global Record:

http://rapidshare.com/files/253804929/t … 1.wav.html

Concerning the Loopback-Workaround: Basically I tried what was written in the manual, I STRG+clicked my Output 1+2 so it turned orange, tried to set different playback channels, but still the same problem...it's possible that I did something wrong, if so I apologize. I'm a musician in the first place, no audio engineer.

I am unfortunately unable to reproduce the issue. I tested recording and it worked just fine.
Your file is quite a mess... Lots of missing samples and such. Does the playback sound clean? What's your temporary drive?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The playback is absolutly clean. No missing samples, no popping at all. No burstouts, nothing. I'm not quite sure what you mean by temporary drive, if you mean my hard drive I use 2 SATA drives (one for music, one for multimedia which I use right now) with 160GB, and an external USB hard drive with 500 GB. I also tried to set different recording directories to make sure that the error doesn't occur from the external drive, but I get the same result.

14 (edited by Gregsen 2009-07-10 23:27:45)

Hey guys,

the Loopback-Workaround finally solved the problem!! I was just a little confused by the description given in the manual and thanks to a very helpful member  of homerecording.de (who explained me the Looback in detail) everything's good now as it should be.

Thanks for your effort!