Topic: No input in vector modes of DigiCheck

At preparing a PC (Intel D915PGN MotherBoard) with Windows XP Sp3 and a HDSP9632 (Driver 3.08.1 and hardware R158) with a AO4S-192 expansion board, I found out that Digicheck (R5.21) is not working as on older software revisions.

Installation is playing out to a 5.1 surround system and we are normally using both the surround vectorscope as well as the stereo vectorscope. These are normally configured to look at the playback side and we are controlling the outputs within Totalmix to control the volumes to the speakers.

1 . In this surround configuration I start with stuttering audio. When Digicheck is closed stuttering stops.

2. When I start Digicheck and go first to the global level meter, configure this on hardware level and inputs I can seen the hardware inputs.

3. When I now reconfig the same instance back to surround vector scope looking at the playback levels of the 6 analog outputs every thing is working fine without stuttering.

4. Reboot PC starts again with point 1 and I have to go again to 2 and 3.

Any idea? I see that more people have problems with DigiCheck. One of the reasons we are using RME cards is the very fact that it has DigiCheck and it would be a pity to see this combination working unreliable.

Robert

Re: No input in vector modes of DigiCheck

What software is used for Surround Playback, at what sample rate, and WDM or ASIO?

Then: is DC set to set the sample rate (not necessary here), and if so, does it match?

DC will never make something stutter except it causes a change in sample rate. And that would be user error.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Software used Nuendo 3.2, Wavelab and Liquid Edition 7.2

DC changes correctly, on the statusbar, with the used samplerate of the application: 44k1 and 48k.

Checking on an other machine I found that we are using 3.080 there with a working DC. Tried to backrev the new machine to 3.080 and surprise: DC is working again. Reving up to 3.081: DC stopped working. I checked this 2 times back and up reving with the same results.

We went from 3.079 to 3.080 on the digiface machine because we had serious problems with sync between audio and video on Liquid Edition 7.2 that went away with the use of 3.080 but these sync problems were not present with Nuendo at all......

Therefor I have the impression that more might be changed that the eye meets when I read the release notes.

Do you need any more information about hardware and/or software configuration?

Your basic setup is still unclear to me. It might be that you try to use multiclient playback in one or the other way which did not work correctly in 3080.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Basic setup: XP with SP3, Audio card HDSP9632 with 1 AO4S-192 expansion card and latest flash update 154. 6 Analog channels are used to drive a surround speaker set. In TotalMix only Out 1-6 are routed to Analog out 1-6.

Playback is done with either Nuendo in a 6 channel surround mode or with Liquid Edition in a 6 channel surround mode. Both are using the ASIO interface only. All video work in 48k, audio in either 44k1, 48k or 96k.

DIGICheck in: Surround Audio Scope mode is running and looking at SOURCE> PLAYBACK of the appropriate 6 analog channels. The tick box: Set sample rate for ASIO inputs is not checked.

In this configuration with driver 3.081 DC is not showing any signal on the playback outputs, although the signals are there. Only if you use DIGICheck in: Global Level Meter mode you will see the output signals.

If you just change the driver back to 3.080 and put DIGICheck in: Surround Audio Scope. DC will work normally again and displays the output signals.

Only one of the software applications is started at all, therefor I do not think I am using multiclient playback in this case.

Very nice description. I'll check that!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So I used your exact setup and it simply works - as expected. There must be something more going on. You might upload screenshots of all settings somewhere for further checking.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,

So it looks like a driver conflict of some sort. Yesterday evening I got also a couple of BSOD. Disabling the HDSP9632 in the device manager, restart the PC and reneable the HDSP9632 driver on-the-fly (without reboot) got DC working correctly each time.

I am strongly suspecting somehow a driver conflict and have decided that I will reinstall the complete OS and monitor the installation of the applications step-by-step to see where it may go wrong. I will let you know the results.

Robert

Before going to format the C-Drive I was able to analyze a couple of minidumps. It seems to point strongly in the direction of the combination DigiCheck with the HDSP driver. Please find below the results, you may find this usefull.

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.11.0001.404 X86
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081109-03.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: C:\WINDOWS\Symbols
Executable search path is:
Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 3) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x805634c0
Debug session time: Tue Aug 11 21:15:23.000 2009 (GMT+2)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:01:12.594
Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000000A, {c0005000, 1c, 0, 804e820c}

Unable to load image hdsp.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for hdsp.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for hdsp.sys
Probably caused by : hdsp.sys ( hdsp+28b2 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

0: kd> !analyze -v
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: c0005000, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000001c, IRQL
Arg3: 00000000, bitfield :
    bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
    bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: 804e820c, address which referenced memory

Debugging Details:
------------------

READ_ADDRESS:  c0005000

CURRENT_IRQL:  1c

FAULTING_IP:
nt!MiMakeOutswappedPageResident+b3
804e820c 8b38            mov     edi,dword ptr [eax]

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  3

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  0xA

PROCESS_NAME:  digicheck.exe

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from 8066afd4 to 804e820c

STACK_TEXT: 
b5754a7c 8066afd4 01400000 00000001 00000000 nt!MiMakeOutswappedPageResident+0xb3
b5754ac4 804ee10b 01400000 0112c6c0 891e51fc nt!ExpGetProcessorPowerInformation+0xbb
b5754ad8 b984b8b2 013f0000 8a3d0be0 89127728 nt!CcAcquireByteRangeForWrite+0x55e
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
b5754c40 804e13d9 8a4e1028 891e8e70 80702410 hdsp+0x28b2
b5754c40 8a4e1028 8a4e1028 891e8e70 80702410 nt!KiTrap0D+0x493
891e8f04 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0x8a4e1028

STACK_COMMAND:  kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
hdsp+28b2
b984b8b2 ??              ???

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  3

SYMBOL_NAME:  hdsp+28b2

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: hdsp

IMAGE_NAME:  hdsp.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  4a1ea3b5

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0xA_hdsp+28b2

BUCKET_ID:  0xA_hdsp+28b2

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Matthias,

Just tried your pre-release 5.22 and found the following:

Automatic startup within the start-up group of windows with a RdWSurround.dc3 file does not display Audio and start stuttering audio.

However starting the DIGICheck.exe directly it will not stutter and displays audio. If I File > Open Setup > RdWSurround.dc3 it will not stutter and displays audio.

Sofar the system did not exhibit any BSOD anymore with driver 3.081.

My two cents: somewho the routine to start DIGICheck by clicking just the configuration files crashes DIGICheck and causes stuttering audio.

Robert

Send me the file please.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,

How do I get the files to you? I can not find a way to upload on this board.

Robert

The forum does not allow attachments.

You can email small files directly (MC's email link is below the avatar photo), or use some web space, or a service like YouSendIt for larger files.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for sending the files! We found the problem: the batch will only work when writing 'digicheck', not 'Digicheck'. A similar error prevents the playback source to work when starting DC from a dc3 file. The latter will be fixed in the upcoming 5.22 release.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,

Thanks for reproducing the errors and I will be looking forward to the updates! :-)

Robert