Topic: Total Mix : Two Multifaces II's / Two Total Mix Windows :(

I now have two Multiface II's - one connected to a PCI card and one connected to a PCIe card.
Everything works fine.
Except ... They don't integrate in TotalMix! It's not a deal breaker because I can just monitor both MFII's in an application but I loose the "Zero Latency".

I found this in a manual from 2007 downloaded from the RME site. (mface2_e.pdf)

"Note: TotalMix is part of the hardware of each HDSP system. Up to three mixers are available,
but these are separated and can't interchange data. Therefore a global mixer for all units is not
possible.:"

Not possible? For RME? I didn't think the phrase "Not Possible" was even allowed to be used on RME property!

I'm sure others have brought this up but it would be very special if I could I have a giant Total Mix of both of my MF II''s.

Also thanks to everyone who gave me the "courage" to try a multiple RME system - people on this board, RME, and a cool guy from Synthax (sp?) Works great!

- granted.

2 (edited by undertone 2010-01-08 08:15:47)

Re: Total Mix : Two Multifaces II's / Two Total Mix Windows :(

Technically it could be possible; there was an attempt at porting Jack to Windows which would allow interconnection, but it seems there hasn't been any development in a long time. Should be possible on OS X or Linux. It's likely though that this stuff might introduce more problems than it solves. I agree that it would be nice to have a single huge integrated mixer.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

Why not just make a submix on SPDIF or ADAT, then connect this to the digital input on the other Multiface? It's still 2 separate mixers, but you still have ZLM.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I understand the complexities, but let's dream a little bit: I've got an HDSP9652 with 26 channels of I/O. I plug in a Fireface 800 and Totalmix asks me if I want to include its I/O before or after the HDSP channels, and then adds these channels to the Totalmix window. I then plugin in a Firface UC, and again the mixer is expanded to include the new channels. I'm now looking at a 70 channel mixer, internally linked and automatically synced to the same clock. Pretty cool, hunh! wink

Very cool. Now calculate the total number of channels and the possible number of channel routings and ask yourself whether your computer's CPU and internal bus systems (PCI etc.) could handle the sheer amount of data...

In short: No way. Also mind that Totalmix is not software, just a GUI for the various cards' onboard mixer (in the DSP, or FPGA, to be precise).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Of course. I did mention it was a dream. :-)

The dream comes true with a MADI interface (you'll get a totalmix with 64x64 audio channels routing matrix) but it's not the same price range.
MADI Setups