1 (edited by Ondrash 2010-01-21 21:51:58)

Topic: The count of MIDI devices exceed with RME 9652 drivers

Hello friends.
I have reinstalled my computer to Windows7 64bit this week and I found a problem with MIDI drivers.

I have a lot of HW devices in my studio with USB MIDI ports.

1. RME 9652
2. RME 9652 (second piece)
3. Korg M3
4. Korg Radias
5. MOTU Midi Express
6. MOTU Midi Express (second piece)
7. Nord G2X
8. Nord Wave
9. CC121
10. Novation ZeroSL
11. Lexicon MX400

When I try to install drivers for Steinbeg CC121 this error is appeared: "Error 25009. An additional MIDI driver cannot be installed on this computer. Please remove any unused MIDI Drivers and try again..."

I tried to get any answer at Cubase Forum but without success... I had similar problem on Windows XP with Lexicon MX400 drivers too. I found that Windows XP has limit to use only 10 MIDI devices which can be installed on the system. The solution how to fix this problem was delete all information about Midi1 - Midi10 in the registry. After that I could install MX400 drivers properly (I had to reinstall other MIDI USB drivers too). Now, in Windows7 is the same problem. I tried to use same procedure with deleting information about Midi1 - Midi10 in the registry. After that installation of CC121 drivers worked properly.

I use Norton Ghost for backuping/restoring whole system. I devoted some time to find the cause of this issue and I found that problem is just with RME 9652 Midi drivers. After new OS installation I install RME drivers first. Therefore they are assigned as Midi1 and Midi2. Maybe they block other MIDI drivers...

I have couple of questions.

Do you know about this issue? And what is important for me... Is there any option how to correctly disable MIDI drivers during RME drivers installation or do you have any patch for uninstalling RME MIDI drivers after installation? I don't want to use MIDI communication for controlling Total mixer. I think that solution which i found with deleting registry is not so clear. sad and may cause problems in the future (synchronization, MIDI communication etc...)

Can you please help me how to continue? What is the ideal solution in this case?

Thank you for your help.

Ondrash

Re: The count of MIDI devices exceed with RME 9652 drivers

Erm .. Yes
This is the old Midi Device Limit, an OS limitation, I have 'fun' memories bumping into this one .. we had good times back at the RME newsgroup with this one .
do a search.

Funny, I asked about this here only a few days ago (here) and it was believed to be fixed as of Vista. I do know that Windows' MIDI subsystem hasn't changed substantially in a long time, but it would be a shame if this issue hasn't changed either. It would be useful to know for sure.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

4 (edited by Ondrash 2010-01-22 12:52:59)

undertone wrote:

Funny, I asked about this here only a few days ago (here) and it was believed to be fixed as of Vista. I do know that Windows' MIDI subsystem hasn't changed substantially in a long time, but it would be a shame if this issue hasn't changed either. It would be useful to know for sure.

Yes. You are absolutely right. No change with MIDI subsystem on Windows 7 sad

Matthias, is there any option how to uninstall MIDI drivers without manual cleaning information in the registry?

Well, we know that the total number of WDM devices is no problem anymore under Vista/7 (so the WDM Device Limit in the Settings dialog is not needed even when using multiple cards). 10 devices for MIDI, where each device can have numerous ports is quite no real restriction for most people. Especially when this MIDI limit is no longer dependend on the number of WDM devices (there had been strange and really bad effects happening when reaching the 32 devices limit under XP).

I am not aware of any other method, sorry. In fact I just had a look at my 7 registry as I could not believe all this crap is still there - but it is... no:

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ondrash, please clear up your email account or delete the subsribtion to this thread - I keep getting bounces into my admin mail box, because your mailbox is full.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ha! I hit the 10-MIDI-device limit on my main W7-64-bit computer a few days ago!!! Yep, this crap is still there and it's impossible to tell in the registry which device is which, or if a device is uninstalled but still listed. Wow...

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1