Topic: Macbook Pro -> HDSPe ExpressCard -> Multiface issue

I have a Multiface that I've been using with a PCI Mac.  I recently picked up an HDSPe Express Card so that I could migrate the Interface to my Macbook Pro.

Unfortunately, even after downloading the latest drivers and making sure the card has the latest firmware I'm not able to get any sound out of the Multiface.  The Settings app recognizes that I'm connected to "Multiface (ExpressCard)", and the HDSPe Mixer shows 2 channels of signal (system outs) going to Analog Outs 1+2, but this signal doesn't make it to the Multiface.  I can move the cable back to the PCI Mac and that still works fine, so it's not the cable or the Multiface itself.

Is this a known configuration issue?  I didn't see anything specific in the forums when I searched.

I'm running OS X 10.5.7 on a 2.33 Ghz Intel Core Duo MBP
Card is serial 22802734, flashed to rev.18
Settings and Mixer are 2.70

I tried deleting all the extensions/prefs and going back to the earlier versions of the drivers, but that didn't work so I'm back to the latest updates.

What do I need to do to get this running?

Re: Macbook Pro -> HDSPe ExpressCard -> Multiface issue

Did you remove power from the MF when changing between the computers? The device needs to intialize when used on a different system.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by jneilnyc 2010-01-19 07:04:00)

I did, and just to make sure I just now did it again, disconnected the power and the FW cable and then put it all back together.

I also just checked with a pair of headphones, and apparently some of the signal is getting to the Multiface phones channels, but it's super low volume and distorted (this is playing a loud track using Quicktime).  No signal at all that I can detect on the analog channels.

That's weired! Please try to reset the mixer by holding down Ctrl when clicking on Preset1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Did that, but no joy.

Just out of paranoia I powered down the Multiface and switched the cable back to the PCI Mac, and it's fine, nice and loud and clear.

Powered everything down again, moved the cable back to the MBP, and it's just as it was.  Resetting changed the layout of the mixer, but not the sound.

There's no evidence that the software is having any problems seeing the Multiface, I get a solid connection, just no signal to speak of.

Are there any other diagnostic tools or debugging shortcuts?  Does Digicheck have anything to offer?

Are you sure the Multiface is detected as Multiface, not Digiface or RPM? Can you try a different FW cable please? DIGICheck would indeed give some additional information, as it shows the levels sent out via Core Audio (not the levels from the driver like TM).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The Settings app says "Multiface (ExpressCard)".

If there's a specific DigiCheck module that would help test or provide more info, just let me know.

Just feed some audio and look at the input levels via DIGICheck (and TM).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Using a new FW cable now.  Still having the same issues with the outgoing audio.

I'm looking at Totalyser, watching an iPod feed into the Multiface.  The levels I'm seeing are all low (I think the box is set to +4) but I'm seeing peak and RMS levels, plus some frequency activity on the left.  However, I'm not hearing anything from the incoming signals, even when redirecting it to the outs using the Matrix.   

Also tried taking the hotter (in the meters) AN1+2 out and running it back into some free INs, but I'm not actually seeing any signal coming back in, which makes sense.

Is the card's serial number correctly displayed in the card's Settings dialog? Or some numbers replaced by xxx?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The Settings app says "Multiface (ExpressCard), Serial #22802734, Rev.18".

Then I really don't understand what is going wrong here, sorry. The next step would be to try a different ExpressCard.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by jneilnyc 2010-01-27 03:04:24)

Well, I was due to upgrade to 10.6 on this machine anyway (actually 10.6.2), so I thought maybe it would make a difference.  And it did, sort of.  Now some of the time the HDSPe Settings does report that the Multiface is a Digiface.  If I restart the app it seems to take care of that.   There really aren't many settings to play with since I'm not syncing to anything or using any digital outs, so there's not much else to tweak that I can see...

Still no audio. 

I did reinstall the 2.70 driver package after upgrading everything else, just to be sure.

So what does it mean if the Settings app occasionally identifies the Multiface as a Digiface?  Is that a driver issue, or a hardware issue, or some combination of the two?

jneilnyc wrote:

So what does it mean if the Settings app occasionally identifies the Multiface as a Digiface?  Is that a driver issue, or a hardware issue, or some combination of the two?

Hello, also interested in this issue and wanted to know if it had any relation to the freezing issues encountered with the same config (MBP+PCIe+Multiface) ?

Thanx for your help

;-)