1 (edited by ericzang 2010-02-11 12:11:17)

Topic: HDSPe expresscard vs FF800 transfer rate/latency?

Sorry for the noob question but, while it seems generally regarded that using an expresscard (or PCIe) is the fastest connection, I see on the description for the HDSPe expresscard the transfer rate is listed as "250 MB/s transfer rate per direction", whereas FW800 is nearly 800? Perhaps I'm not understanding the specs properly?

The context for my question is that I'm wanting to create an ultra low latency system for live mic mixing (within ableton, rather than Totalmix) and triggering samples, with potentially up to 24 AD going in (though more commonly 16) and about 4 DA going out. I plan on getting a very fast laptop of course.

Thanks,
Eric

Re: HDSPe expresscard vs FF800 transfer rate/latency?

250 Mega Byte/s guaranteed have to be compared with 800 Mega Bit which equal around 60 Mega Byte/s in real world.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias. Expresscard is the ideal way to go in my case I suppose.

At this point, isn't the Fireface UC the way to go?
If it's true that the performance is comparable to PCIe, adopting the UC would free up the Firewire bus AND the PCIe Express Card bus, for use with things like, eSATA, UAD card, etc...

MC, is this a wishful assumption or a reality (given that the MacBook Pro is of latest build and compatibile...)??

Thank you in advance.

RM

P.S.

I am also curious about SS Drives. I remember reading that MC doesn't like them for audio. I need to buy a brand new MacBook Pro fairly soon and before reading MC's comments I was sure I was going to get the optional SSD... Quiet, fast..(and espensive :-(
Now I am scared...

Oh, I just realized ericzang's need for up to 24 AD going in... Not enough inputs in the Fireface UD...
Still, I would love to know from MC about my questions.

Thank you much in advance.

RM