Topic: RayDAT and TCO issues

Hi,
Having resolved problems about W7x64 update and RayDAT & MADI drivers, I finally got new and dramatic problems with RayDAT & TCO now.

1- TCO is totally unstable. It's locked to house sync via wordclock. Rosendahl Nanosyncs HD is delivering video ref and wordclock to whole setup here. Syncing RayDAT to TCO makes clicks appear. On RME control panel, ADAT and TCO are displaying randomly and for a short time "lock" and then go back to "sync". Selecting "ADAT" as sync ref resolves sync issue (ADAT connections are coming from DM2k). But TCO control panel display keeps on switching to "lock" and then back to "sync".

2- Nuendo 4 doesn't receive VST Link signal when incoming through RayDAT Spdif. VST Link is delivered by Time Base device for syncing to Digi Beta. To check if that could be relevant to some Time Base issue, I first plugged VST Link from another PC via ADAT. That worked perfectly. I've been connecting VST Link then from same PC but through Spdif and nothing happens, no signal at all. It seems Spdif input connexion to be dead as control panel displays 'No Lock" for Spdif...

If temporary turnaround is easy for issue 1, issue 2 is more dramatic as I'll have to lay back final mix to Digi Beta tomorrow for a prime saturday night TV show...

Any idea about ?

Re: RayDAT and TCO issues

javajam wrote:

1- TCO is totally unstable. It's locked to house sync via wordclock. Rosendahl Nanosyncs HD is delivering video ref and wordclock to whole setup here. Syncing RayDAT to TCO makes clicks appear. On RME control panel, ADAT and TCO are displaying randomly and for a short time "lock" and then go back to "sync". Selecting "ADAT" as sync ref resolves sync issue (ADAT connections are coming from DM2k). But TCO control panel display keeps on switching to "lock" and then back to "sync".

This may seem like a silly question, but is the DM2000 correctly synced to house sync, too? What if you were to sync it to ADAT from the card for a test?

It seems Spdif input connexion to be dead as control panel displays 'No Lock" for Spdif...

Optical or coax? Cyn you try another SPDIF source (or a loopback from the RD itself)?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by javajam 2010-02-26 03:20:07)

Hi Daniel,

Hopefully, Spdif issue n?2 is solved ! Some kind of stupid thing I have to say : I used last HDSP 9652 PCI card breakout cable, not the one with AES and Spdif, as I never cared about AES on my RME boards in the past... The thing is that pluging an Spdif-only cable makes it's recognized as an AES one on RayDAT... So, Spdif was not locked, but AES was. I replaced with the right one and everything is ok. The best is that I can output VST link as Spdif or AES from Time Base and I think I'll switch to AES. Great feature on RayDAT. Don't worry, every computer or every single device is supplied with video ref or wordclock from house sync...

About TCO, issue's still there. Here's the test I did : 1 kHz tone input in left channel, 1 kHz tone reading on Nuendo right channel. Setting up DigiCheck Scope so as to test left input & right playback and looking at correlation values. No matter the initial value, the only thing is, it has to stay unchanged. Result is : correlation is decreasing every 20 or 30 seconds value around 0.120.

So as to check everything, I tried outputting wordclock from another Nanosyncs output connection. I changed cable. I output wordclock from other PC's RME HDSP 9652 PCI (itself locked to house sync). Issue's still there. Selecting RME sync to ADAT in solves the problem. So I think TCO's not properly working. As I got a 2nd TCO for another PC I didn't install for now, I'll check switching TCOs and I'll let you know.

Regards

Ok, I switched TCO cards in the depth of the night... I did same tones test with 2nd TCO. Reading tones 12mn long, DigiCheck correlation value stays strictly unchanged, that's what I'm used to with RME boards :-). It seems 1st TCO board to be deficient. Great to have a 2nd one around here...

The TCO panel includes firmware revision information of the TCO...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by javajam 2010-02-26 10:36:07)

MC wrote:

The TCO panel includes firmware revision information of the TCO...

TCO Revision 8 for the one which works ok. Is it up to date ? I'll check about the other one.

Yes, 7 would be perfect already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by javajam 2010-02-26 14:18:13)

MC wrote:

Yes, 7 would be perfect already.

I checked TCO for which issue occurs, Revision is 6. What can I do about ? I bought both at the same time some weeks ago, is there any way to update firmware ?