Topic: Windows 7 FireWire Performance problems

While the current RME FireWire drivers include full support for the new Microsoft FW driver included in Windows 7 there are still user reports that changing back to the 'old' legacy driver for the FireWire interface (the one in the computer) gives better performance. To change from the default driver to the older one:

- Go to Device Manager, FireWire Contoller.
- Choose Driver, Update Driver Software
- Choose "Browse my Computer for driver software"
- Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". A list pops up that shows three entries:

OHCI-compliant 1394 Host controller
OHCI-compliant 1394 Host controller (legacy)
OHCI-compliant Texas Instruments 1394-Host controller

- From these three select 'OHCI-compliant 1394 Host controller (legacy)'
- Install the latest FF driver...

In Deutsch:

- Geräte-Manager, FireWire Controller
- Treiber, Treiber aktualisieren
- Auf dem Computer nach Treibersoftware suchen
- Aus einer Liste von Gerätetreibern auf dem Computer auswählen. Es erscheint:

OHCI-konformer 1394-Hostcontroller
OHCI-konformer 1394-Hostcontroller (alt)
OHCI-konformer Texas Instruments 1394-Hostcontroller

Von diesen 'OHCI-konformer 1394-Hostcontroller (alt)' wählen (alt heisst hier alternativ).

Die Treiber zeigen keine verschiedenen Versionsnummern oder Dateinamen in den Treiber-Details. Man kann sie nur anhand der Beschreibung im Geräte-Manager unterscheiden. Der Hostcontroller muss also im Geräte-Manager den Zusatz (alt) haben (englisch legacy).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Windows 7 FireWire Performance problems

Here is a website with screenshots to go along with the instructions above.  This was a must to get my Dell e5510 with Windows 7 32 bit working with my FireFace800.

http://kc.flexradio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50433.aspx

Frank

Just to save some of you time and energy, here are 2 things, which might help you with problems. Ir improved my setup very much.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as … -US;975500

http://www.1394ta.org/consumers/FAQ.htm … DriverWin7

Win7 64bit
Fireface 400 with latest FF driver and firmware
i7, Intel board,8GB RAM
Cubase 5.5 64bit

4 (edited by iain_m 2011-02-05 17:17:10)

Hi all,

Thanks, Matthias, for this information.

I experienced a lot of ASIO drop-outs with the default ""Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" driver installed by Windows 7 64-bit for the FW controller on my Gigabyte motherboard. (I have a Fireface 400.) Changing to the legacy driver in the way you describe solved the problem.

However I note that with the same hardware under Windows 7 32-bit, the Texas Instruments driver worked fine with the Fireface.

I'm a bit concerned as to how long this "legacy" support is likely to be available, and whether using the older driver also has disadvantages. Needing to use the legacy driver in 64-bit Windows 7 feels like a step back. Is it a Microsoft problem, or something that can be fixed in an RME driver update? It's not quite clear to me why the problem would be happening with the driver written for the TI chipset (which is the chipset that everyone recommends for FW audio, too!).

Thanks for any further information.

It is a MS problem that they are actively fixing themselves. There are numerous hotfixes already, which will all be a part of the soon to be released SP1. The legacy driver will stay in Win 7.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the fast reply. :-)

A quick update - unfortunately this issue has not been fixed in Windows 7 SP1. sad

Tried it and it worked fine, thanks

This Post Fixed Everything. Thank you so much i looked long and hard a solution, even came across a forum post before this that said don't use legacy drivers because their for old versions of windows before 7. Not the case as i'm using windows 7 64bit and this has solved my audio problems with new Pro14.

10 (edited by boba 2015-02-25 17:24:29)

Just installed w7-pro 64 with a new 1394 Card, PCI-Express DELOCK 2x ext. 1394A FireWire + 1x int, based on a Texas Instruments chip . The legacy driver did not solve my BSOD problem. I decided to try "Sunsway/ST Lab PCIe FireWire 2+1P" instead. It's based on a Via chip and that did the trick. I don't even need the legacy driver. I will keep the Delock Card for the future. Who knows? It might be this card that works in the future. The two cards are actually completely identical except for the chip

11 (edited by Sirthoms 2015-07-05 10:45:55)

Hello,

I´m running windows 8.1. I get the bluescreen "Driver Not Less Or Equal (Fireface.sys)". I can´t change to the legacy driver since it´s not in the list : "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

So, how do I stop this from happening? Very annoying as you ofcourse understand....

Thanks for this post, everything working well for me