Topic: FF 400 + Mac Book Pro 15" = What are the last news ?

Hey Guys !

I'm a still a RME Fireface 400 user on PC since a year.

I'm now planning to get a Mac Book Pro to play Live music: While searching on the web, I found many posts about problems encountered by Mac Book Pro's users with their FF400. I don't want to miss with this deal, so I'm trying to get the most recent informations about it.
I read many things (everything and its opposite ...) by reading forums and posts ... Some people say that the problems are solved, while others answer that they still exist ...
So I want to check RME users answers about it AT THIS DAY: what's right or wrong ...
Could you please answer that particular points:

-Using a FW400=>FW 800 adapter cable may works fine (no more FW400 plug on new Mac Book ....)
-No more problems with last chipsets in new Mac Book Pro 15" (Now that they are Texas Instrument in the last series)
-FF400 has to be self powered and will not work fine on computer's firewire cable

Thanks a million to everyone that may help me to make the right choice smile

Re: FF 400 + Mac Book Pro 15" = What are the last news ?

My MBP is mid 2010, and I also came from Windows (the best thing you can do is to switch ;-)):

- I use a FW400-->FW800 adapter cable without problems
- No problems with chipset
- I can power FF400 via Firewire without problems. I?ve powered two mics with phantom power without problems and only with firewire cable (no external power)

Best regards.

-Using a FW400=>FW 800 adapter cable may works fine (no more FW400 plug on new Mac Book ....)

Yes.

-No more problems with last chipsets in new Mac Book Pro 15" (Now that they are Texas Instrument in the last series)

Yes. The Rev. 7 of the Lucent chipset also works now without problems.

I can power FF400 via Firewire without problems. I?ve powered two mics with phantom power without problems and only with firewire cable (no external power)

Yes.

best regards
Knut

Awesome !!

Thank you both for answering so quick smile

...hello,
can you still confirm, that the newest macbook pros are working well with the ff400?

Thank you.max.

fireface 400 - macbook air M1 - cubase11- wavelab11

hi,
now I can confirm, that the new mbp 2011 works perfectly with the fireface400.
Yesterday I did a live recording, 16 tracks, no problems at all!

I'm totally happy!

Regards.max.

Current Macs use revision 8 of the LSI/Agere chipset.

...thank you Timur,
I knew that fact.

But I thought my answer might be useful to people who are not willing to go to deep into this firewire-chip problem.

If someone is thinking of buying a new mbp, he might be happy to see, that he gets a combination someone else is using already successfully.

Regards....a very happy max.

Thank you, too. I just meant to add this info to your already very useful feedback! wink